The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 12, 2010, 12:21 AM   #1
g52565

browning auto 5 looking for value ?

Hello i traded for this browning auto 5 12 gauge light twelve about 20 years ago, the serial # is 8g 27254 so i beleive that it makes it a 1958 model year, if the gun has been shot it was only 1 time meaning this gun is flawless, no nicks,chips,rust or anything, looks perfect, i dont shoot or hunt just in the right spot at the right time i guess, it belonged to a friends father and when he passed the son had no use for it and thats how i received it, i was wondering what this gun is worth because im going to sell it, figured someone on here would chime in and give me an idea.
Thanks Gary
Old November 12, 2010, 01:12 AM   #2
Scorch

Check out Guns America or Gun Broker for value of A5s in pristine condition. Value of A5s went soft a few years ago, but a pristine example always draws the money. Probably in excess of $2500, maybe far in excess. Sell it at auction rather than stating a price, you will get the best money for it.
Old November 12, 2010, 08:01 AM   #3
silvercorvette

All guns are evil, please send it to me so I can dispose of it for you

I agree about selling it through an auction. I can't afford to give you what it is worth but I would love to see pictures.
Old November 12, 2010, 12:38 PM   #4
BigJimP

The Auto 5 -- has a lot of nostalgia ...and its the semi-auto of my youth ...but its still "yesterday's" technology. Its a fixed choke gun / so how its choked may affect its value as well ....especially if its a Full choke which limits its versatility a little.

In my opinion, even in excellent condition - you'll be very lucky to get around $1,000 for it /from a collector that just has to have it .... and honestly, I think a value in the $ 600 - $ 750 price range is more likely even in the condition you describe.

The market for the Auto 5's --- in shooters under 50 yrs old ...is pretty minimal / because they can buy a new Browning Silver or Winchester semi-auto for under $1,000 ....
Old November 12, 2010, 07:19 PM   #5
silvercorvette

Quote:
The Auto 5 -- has a lot of nostalgia ...and its the semi-auto of my youth ...but its still "yesterday's" technology.
Yes but it is one of those guns I wanted to own when I was younger but just could not afford. I honestly thought it wound be more expensive than $600 ~ $750. If you offer the gun for sale in that price range I will figure out a way to scrape up the money. I have bought some guns on auction sites but never sold one but most have a buy it now price. I don't know what fees the auction sites charge but it you come up with a number you can avoid having some of your money go to the auction site.

By the way when I was younger I also wanted the Browning Double Automatic Shotgun. Does anyone remember this model produced from 1955 to 1971?
Old November 12, 2010, 08:01 PM   #6
Scorch

Quote:
By the way when I was younger I also wanted the Browning Double Automatic Shotgun. Does anyone remember this model produced from 1955 to 1971?
I had a red one!
Old November 12, 2010, 09:29 PM   #7
silvercorvette

I think they were made in 3 or 4 different finish colors, I never shot one only held it in a store sometime in the late 60s, How did they shoot? I heard the had a soft recoil
Old November 13, 2010, 08:46 PM   #8
g52565

pictures

If you would like some pictures of the gun, give me your email and i will send.
Gary
Old November 13, 2010, 09:52 PM   #9
silvercorvette

I got the pictures, the gun is very nice, let me know what you decide on price.

Last edited by silvercorvette; November 14, 2010 at 12:52 AM.
Old November 14, 2010, 12:57 AM   #10
Scorch

Quote:
How did they shoot? I heard the had a soft recoil
In their day, they were billed as the softest shooting gun out there. Most gas guns nowadays shoot as soft or softer. But you could fire two shells so fast it sounded like one shot.

Quote:
I think they were made in 3 or 4 different finish colors
Grey, red, brown, green, and black, IIRC.
Old November 14, 2010, 01:29 AM   #11
henryfrapp

a-5 price

I am in Missouri and good A5s like yours people around here are asking $550-$650 for them but they don't sell them. They usually sell for around $500 for light 12s and $600 for A5 mag 12s. Your area may be different.
Old November 14, 2010, 02:54 AM   #12
silvercorvette

But you could fire two shells so fast it sounded like one shot.

Grey, red, brown, green, and black
----------------------------

Thank you
Old November 14, 2010, 03:32 AM   #13
g52565

I took it to a gun shop in town today to kinda get a idea on its value, basically he said its supply and demand, he looked it over for about 10 minutes then called over a older guy and then they looked at it for another 10 minutes while i hunted around for a new toy, i came back to the counter and he said i would give you 800 for it right now, i almost went for it but thought if he was offering me this amount of money for the gun would i be better off putting it up for auction with a reserve and take the highest bid over the 800 ? i dunno crap, input please lol.
Old November 14, 2010, 09:58 AM   #14
silvercorvette

I don't know for sure but a firm $800 sounds better than a maybe $1,000.

If you sell it on gunbroker for $1,000 you have to pay $125 as a fee to gun broker which leaves you with $875. The you have to figure out your shipping cost and FFL fees. If the buyer has to pay shipping is he likely to pay $1,000 plus shipping? Usually when I bid on a gun I take into account the FFL fee and any other cost to determine how high I will go.

Guaranteed $800 or a maybe $1,000 the is closer to $800 after you add in fees , you decide.
I am sorry, I messed up on a decimal point, it would cost $12.50 not $125. I never sold a gun on gunbroker and was not familiar with the fees. Maybe you can tell the guy you will think it over then list the gun on gun broker and see if you can do better

PS it's a beautiful gun, I can't go as high as the offer you were given.

Last edited by silvercorvette; November 14, 2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old November 14, 2010, 12:07 PM   #15
BigJimP

$ 800 is more than a fair offer in my opinion. It means he'll have to sell it for $ 1,000 just to break even ( and that's only if his overhead is low ...) ....

and in my area, it would be 1 in 1,000 buyers that would pay $1,000 for any Auto 5....even a special one ...
Old November 14, 2010, 12:35 PM   #16
silvercorvette

I saw pictures of the gun and it is a beautiful almost perfect condition gun but I would never go as high as $800. I am thinking the maybe the dealer know he has a buyer that wants the gun and can make a quick profit. I thought the gun was worth a lot more but others have pointed out it is old technology.

I personally like the old Brownings and just bid on a double auto.
Old November 14, 2010, 03:09 PM   #17
g52565

Yes i agree with you guys, i beleive when he brought the older gentleman over, he might have been the one that was gonna give me 800 for the gun, i really dont think it was the shop owner, cuz most shops will offer you 1/3 to half the value of the gun, so they can make there money on item, he said if i changed my mind to let him know, so there is always that possibility.
Old November 14, 2010, 03:16 PM   #18
BigJimP

I wouldn't wait too long ...it may be an emotional buy for that guy ...you don't want him to cool off and change his mind....

If one of his buddies tells him he's being a dumb ass... or why do you want that old thing...he may have 2nd thoughts...
Old November 14, 2010, 06:33 PM   #19
Scorch

If a gun shop offered you $800 for the gun, he was sure he could sell it for twice that. Gun shops are in business to make money.
Old November 14, 2010, 07:13 PM   #20
silvercorvette

Quote:
If a gun shop offered you $800 for the gun, he was sure he could sell it for twice that. Gun shops are in business to make money.
Unless the shop owner had regular customer / friend that wanted the gun.

Quoting BigJimP
"I wouldn't wait too long ...it may be an emotional buy for that guy ...you don't want him to cool off and change his mind....

If one of his buddies tells him he's being a dumb ass... or why do you want that old thing...he may have 2nd thoughts
Old November 14, 2010, 07:48 PM   #21
grousehunter49

Browning A5 Value

A bird in the hand, is worth more than 2 in the bush.
Old November 14, 2010, 08:07 PM   #22
silvercorvette

Quote:
A bird in the hand, is worth more than 2 in the bush.
Also a bird in the hand can get messy, and fools rush in and get the best seats

By the way this thread inspired me to look for a Browning twin double and I put in a bid on Gunbroker for $500. I don't plan on going higher. 20 hours 48 minutes and I am the only bidder

I don't need another shot gun but I have wanted a auto 5 and a twin double since I worked in a department store sporting goods department but back then either one would have cost me a few months salary.
Old November 15, 2010, 12:10 AM   #23
henryfrapp

If he said $800 you could have probably bumped him 50-100 and walked away. Take it from an old shop owner, its only worth as much as someone is willing to give and cash in hand beats a maybe.
Old November 15, 2010, 12:52 AM   #24
Stiofan

Cabelas has a bunch of them for sale in their gun library, anywhere from $650 to $1,500. They are always looking for nice pieces, you can contact them, number on their website.
Old December 6, 2010, 12:11 AM   #25
silvercorvette

I was interested in buying the gun but I couldn't go as high as $800, so I can't help but ask what the final out come was.