The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

View Poll Results: How many people do you know that can outshoot you?
1-5 27 38.03%
5-10 11 15.49%
10-30 12 16.90%
30 or more 21 29.58%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 18, 2002, 07:43 AM   #51
fubsy

Competition is a humbling event............and great fun besides.....outside of the 22 events I competed in as a child I primarily became a can shooter and informal plinkerer(amazing how much ammo you can burn doing that over 30 plus years), with forays into trap/skeet and hi-power rifle events.........but recently was talked into competing in the Jacksonville gssf event......well I shot in the stockmeister and amatuer events and consistently placed in the top 1/3 roughly, my overall rating for that event was 25th........all that practiced smoothness went out the window when that airhorn went off......and I tried to go to fast......lol.....so I am relearning to make each shot count, "to shoot slow but quickly". I stopped by the sepsa fun shoot steel plate rack of 5 plates.....I shot the whole event using a box stock glock mdl 19....my best time was 3.22 seconds for 5 plates, when I looked on the sheet the nearest to me was 3.89 appx..........well the sepsa event Saturday (the day I shot) was taken by a score of 2.01 seconds.....lol....and to show that wasnt a fluke, the next day the sepsa event was taken by someone else shooting 2.02 seconds....lol.......and Im chomping at the bit to go to the next one near me...........................but to show how different local, and regional, national events are......the Sunday after that Saturday glock shoot I competed at the Hernando Sportsmen's Clubs pin shoot......I took first with semiauto, 2nd with revolver(and thats not as good as it sounds, I was many seconds away from the top shooter as the rest of the crowd was that far away from me......and that just handguns, rifles and shotguns are whole nother can of worms....fubsy. ...shooting is mucho fun.......
Old May 25, 2002, 10:53 AM   #52
kdmoore

had to vote for 30+ since on a given day, anyone could outshoot me.

Now how many require very little luck? I shoot with a group by 30 or so weekly and feel I've had a terrible night if I'm not in top 10. Last week I had a failure to nuetralize arrrg in the first stage, so the second stage I decided was just for fun. This means on the swinging target that required 4 shots I tried to get them all on one swing (most folks were doing doubles on two swings). Darned if I didn't have a failure to nuetralize again (lightening struck twice... hostage shot going for head... clipped top of head but didn't break line All said and done I came in 12 or 13th. I thought I'd be last.

In the same group there are 3 or 5 that beat me everyday unless they screw up.

edited in by me....
Replied, then read the threads and realized the age of this thread
BTW, for all who don't want to join a group but would like to know how they stack up.... You could try setting up your own classifier course (look to the IDPA site for desc and rules). A friend with a stop watch could let you know how you are doing against a well established standard

Last edited by kdmoore; May 25, 2002 at 11:15 AM.
Old May 27, 2002, 10:39 AM   #53
Jeeper

Shooting in Phoenix with all the pros like rob leatham and brian enos makes me very humble. THere are a ton better than me but I am usually in the top third of most matches.