The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 21, 2019, 05:06 AM   #26
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Edged weapons are a whole different can of possum innards. completely concealable. instant and disabling strikes
I can only speak to the cases I’ve reviewed but in the two dozen or so stabbings I looked at, knives were rarely “instant.” They could be lethal; but it wasn’t unusual to have the guy who died beat the snot out of the guy who stabbed him. In a lot of cases, the victim didn’t even realize they’d been stabbed until their blood pressure finally dropped off and they collapsed.
Old October 21, 2019, 06:28 AM   #27
DMK

Quote:
I can only speak to the cases I’ve reviewed but in the two dozen or so stabbings I looked at, knives were rarely “instant.” They could be lethal; but it wasn’t unusual to have the guy who died beat the snot out of the guy who stabbed him. In a lot of cases, the victim didn’t even realize they’d been stabbed until their blood pressure finally dropped off and they collapsed.
That's of small consolation to the victim. Killing or disabling the attacker only to die in the ambulance is still an unsuccessful defense.

- Homeland Security begins at home: Support your Second Amendment -
www.gunowners.org - www.grnc.org
Old October 21, 2019, 10:35 AM   #28
Bartholomew Roberts

Sure, my point was they make a better offensive weapon than defensive.
Old October 21, 2019, 12:45 PM   #29
DMK

Quote:
Sure, my point was they make a better offensive weapon than defensive.
Unfortunately, that is a very good point.

- Homeland Security begins at home: Support your Second Amendment -
www.gunowners.org - www.grnc.org
Old October 21, 2019, 03:21 PM   #30
Brit

Seeing videos/film clips etc. Quite good, but something you have been involved in, is really good.

I worked as a Bouncer in Clubs in Liverpool UK from 1960 to 1964 at The Cavern Club of Beatles fame, on Mathew Street, a short dark Street. A year at the Blue Angel, on Seal Street.

One Friday night 1962? I would have been 27 years of age, quite fit, climbed onto building for a living full-time job, erecting TV Aerials. Bouncer cash in the hand, part-time Thur/Fri/Sat nights. My wife looked after the two children, did not work outside the home.

Friday typical day, left for work at 8 AM, arrived home around 5 pm. Had supper, washed up, no showers then. Might get half an hour nap.

In the Company Van, off to Liverpool, just over half an hour drive, start at 7 pm. Bouncer dress, cheap black suit, white shirt, clip-on bow tie, lightweight boots, crepe soles, composite toe caps? At one spell I carried an ebony ruler as a staff. Hole drilled in it, bootlace (leather) as a loop through that hole.
16" long, inch and a 1/4 round.

First time I was stabbed, small blade, or nail file UG! Next to the right kidney.

Second time also a Friday night, past 10-30 PM, closed for entry. A man about 25? A good suit, expensive leather shoes, collar and tie, a toff? Me on my own, Larry had gone downstairs for two cups of tea (Free) it was a cold night.

Me on the step, 4" tall at the entrance from the Street, 4 feet wide, no door.
The door was 10 feet inside, top of the stairs (I think) He had an expensive gold watch on his RIGHT! Wrist. I never took note of that. Tired that I was.
Normally means a left-handed person! He was twitching about, moving his shoulders? Talking in a well-educated voice. He threw, what I thought was a left-handed punch, aimed at my lower chest. I brough my hands to my centre line, lowered my self a little, bending knees a bit. Grasped his left wrist, with my right hand. Felt a pinprick in my wrist, a glance down showed a dark line in the inside of my wrist. No pain. He is trying to pull it out, for a second go?
Not playing that game, I remember changing my feet, bringing my left foot over and into his face. His head bounced off the wall, he dropped like a bag of coal. The Jeep Patrol, 5 Coppers, the Jock Sgt. took note of his injuries.
Broken jaw, cheekbone, eye socket, 4 teeth on the deck. Don't remember if the Police took him, or an Ambulance.

Presenting the Police with the homemade ice pick, polished wooden handle, he had sewn into an upside-down holster, carried under his right arm, took any blame off me. I went to the Emerg at the local hospital, the Pakistani intern put a pint of Antibiotics into my arm! warned of the danger of puncture wounds? Like it was my fault.

The Sgt. said he would come back next Friday? He never did.
Old October 21, 2019, 03:53 PM   #31
davidsog

Quote:
I can only speak to the cases I’ve reviewed but in the two dozen or so stabbings I looked at, knives were rarely “instant.”
I am sure you were not reviewing many cases of folks trained to use knives. For the vast majority of people, a knife is more of a detriment than an advantage. There are blows using a knife that are instantly incapacitating and there are blows that are fatal in one cut.

As a weapon, for those who know how to use them, knives are as deadly if not more deadly than gun for their very small niche of use.

Someone who properly employs a knife will have a fight ending cut delivered before their opponent realizes they are in a knife fight.

Someone who is trained and properly employs a knife will have a fatal blow delivered before their opponent realizes they are in a knife fight.

That being said, a knife is much more useful as a survival tool than a combat tool.

Last edited by davidsog; October 22, 2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old October 21, 2019, 05:38 PM   #32
fastbolt

Blades don't make noise to announce that you've been cut, sliced or stabbed. You may not otherwise know you've been wounded at the moment.

As with other types of wounding, different types of anatomical "targets" wounded by blades (or sharp tools that cause perforating wounding) are often referred to as "timers" and "switches".

The best way to not be wounded by a knife or other cutting implement (or club, bludgeon, flail, etc) is to create and maintain distance so it can't reach you.

A Pyrrhic victory isn't something to be sought. It might label the victor, but being a victor isn't always the same thing as being the winner, all things considered.
Old October 23, 2019, 02:29 AM   #33
Skarekrow88

Quote:
Quote:
Some of the 911 highjackers had taped box knives to the bottoms of their shoes and managed to carry off a physical attack after hours of observation and several searches.
Quote:
Yep and were even able to cut the head off a NYC cop who ran up to assist the Lead FA in 1st Class as she was being beheaded.
I am unaware of this occurrence and cant find anything on it. Could you possibly elaborate?
Old October 23, 2019, 03:56 PM   #34
Hanshi

I'm not much of a knife person but have trained with them for many years, both as an LEO and martial artist. True; one usually doesn't even become aware of a knife until after the confrontation. A couple of officers were responding to a call at a dive where a guy had hit another with a beer bottle. The subdued the troublemaker and finally cuffed him. When they got him outside to the patrol car, one of the LEO had the bottom half of his tie fall off. The unseen knife took his tie and cut the shirt but fortunately missed the skin.

I always taught that the first thing is to always be aware of one's surroundings and visualize any possible attacks. Second, always keep others far enough from them so that in order for them to touch you they will have to take a step forward. Three, if a knife attack is a possibility the gun should already be in the hand. I typically carry two knives on me most all the time. I do walk with a cane outside of my home and am trained to use it as a weapon. The big takeaway from this is to be aware of what or whom happens to be near you.
Old October 23, 2019, 05:58 PM   #35
shurshot

Solid advice Hanshi!
Old October 23, 2019, 08:51 PM   #36
zoo

I hate to speak simply anecdotally but I've had at least a half dozen people try to take me out with a knife or similar weapon.

Obviously none of them knew what they were doing or I'd already be dead.

Knives are VERY effective in the right hands and in the right situations.
Old October 23, 2019, 09:31 PM   #37
shurshot

Zoo, a half dozen different people tried to take you out? Either you live in a very bad neighborhood, you don't pay your gambling bets, or your real name is Tony Soprano...?? Which is it?
Old October 23, 2019, 09:36 PM   #38
dannyb

The other lesson in this

is that it may not pay to be discourteous to people. It's always tempting to show strength, contempt, cleverness (clever is an insult, not a kudo), etc. It may make you feel big, but may also trigger an unexpected attack.

When I was much much younger and relatively new to driving, some guy walked between cars into the street causing me to swerve and stop short. My 18 year old idiot self threw him a bird. He responded by reaching into his coat and pulling a revolver. I drove across a busy intersection against the light to get away from him. I've never again felt it necessary to visually display contempt no matter how tempting it may be.

You can talk about rights and pride and everything else - but it's cold comfort if some nutcase has put you in a box for a dirt nap.
Old October 23, 2019, 09:44 PM   #39
zoo

Shurshot, lol, just an old retired street cop who had a good nose for trouble.
Old October 23, 2019, 09:49 PM   #40
zoo

I should also note that it is my opinion that only a disgusting individual doesn't pay their gambling debts!
Old October 24, 2019, 06:53 AM   #41
Nanuk

Quote:
Shurshot, lol, just an old retired street cop who had a good nose for trouble.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old October 24, 2019, 08:45 AM   #42
FAS1

If you are going to involve yourself in the situation, you better up your situation awareness. The iPad distraction in the video reminds me how so many people are constantly looking down at their phone and unaware of what's going on around them.
Old November 4, 2019, 07:02 AM   #43
13gunhey498

which knife is better pressed or forged