The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 31, 2019, 02:24 PM   #1
KnightofCydonia

3" ejection in 2-3/4" receiver with 3" barrel

Hi,

So I installed an Express 28" VR RemChoke barrel on my Wingmaster which is a V receiver or 2-3/4" only. I cycled some 3" magnums, both unfired and fired shells to test if it can eject the magnum hulls. It can, despite the ejector being staked for 2-3/4" only. Now, I'm thinking of using this for waterfowl and shooting 3" magnums like I do in my other shotguns. Even though my receiver can eject 3" magnums, will it damage the ejector over time? The receiver strength should not be a problem since the V and M receivers are the same except for the ejector position.
Old August 31, 2019, 02:46 PM   #2
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofCydonia View Post
Hi,

So I installed an Express 28" VR RemChoke barrel on my Wingmaster which is a V receiver or 2-3/4" only. I cycled some 3" magnums, both unfired and fired shells to test if it can eject the magnum hulls. It can, despite the ejector being staked for 2-3/4" only. Now, I'm thinking of using this for waterfowl and shooting 3" magnums like I do in my other shotguns. Even though my receiver can eject 3" magnums, will it damage the ejector over time? The receiver strength should not be a problem since the V and M receivers are the same except for the ejector position.
A 2-3/4 inch chamber and you are going to fire 3" shells in it? Did I miss something...is that a "new thing" now?
Old August 31, 2019, 03:13 PM   #3
NoSecondBest

Sometimes the shells won't eject....probably in most guns. The big problem is that the forcing cones might be too short and not allow your crimp to completely unfold upon firing. This can dramatically increase pressure. There's a reason they don't just make one chamber...well, they do. You almost always can shoot 2 3/4 in a 3", and a 3" in a 3 1/2 inch chamber. It's going the other way where you run into problems. Wear safety glasses and ask your friends to stand back.
Old August 31, 2019, 03:39 PM   #4
Dufus

As long as the new barrel is made for the 3", it should work OK. You have already proven that it will work.

Word of caution: never fire a 3" shell in a 2 3/4" chamber. If you do, all sorts of unnatural stuff happens. Also, make sure your health insurance is paid up to date.
Old August 31, 2019, 03:44 PM   #5
FITASC

If this new barrel chambered for 3"? Even is yes, I wouldn't waste the time.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 31, 2019, 04:01 PM   #6
KnightofCydonia

Hmm it seems like most of you are misreading what I’ve written. I’m not loading a 3” in a 2-3/4” barrel. The receiver is staked for a 2-3/4” ejector and I’m wondering if using a 3” barrel will have ejection issues with magnum hulls. The answer is no for my gun, but I’m wondering if there is damage to the ejector.
Old August 31, 2019, 08:21 PM   #7
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofCydonia View Post
Hmm it seems like most of you are misreading what I’ve written. I’m not loading a 3” in a 2-3/4” barrel. The receiver is staked for a 2-3/4” ejector and I’m wondering if using a 3” barrel will have ejection issues with magnum hulls. The answer is no for my gun, but I’m wondering if there is damage to the ejector.
Yup...I misread it.
Old September 2, 2019, 08:33 AM   #8
jaguarxk120

Your original post did not say how the Express barrel was chambered.
Old September 2, 2019, 09:14 AM   #9
FITASC

Can you even fit the 3" barrel on the 2-3/4" receiver or will it be too long to properly fit?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 2, 2019, 09:21 AM   #10
Onward Allusion

Reading comprehension is important.
Old September 2, 2019, 10:14 AM   #11
KnightofCydonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguarxk120 View Post
Your original post did not say how the Express barrel was chambered.
It says in the thread title it's a 3" barrel and 2-3/4" receiver.

Anyways, yes you can fit even a 3.5" supermagnum barrel onto a 2-3/4" receiver. The barrel ext is the same for all the barrels, just the chamber size is different.
Old September 2, 2019, 11:55 AM   #12
FITASC

Thanks, why I was asking. I know on my Berettas the barrel extension does not allow you to put a longer chambered barrel on a shorter receiver
Old September 2, 2019, 12:11 PM   #13
KnightofCydonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
Thanks, why I was asking. I know on my Berettas the barrel extension does not allow you to put a longer chambered barrel on a shorter receiver
But you can eject 2-3/4" or 3" shells from a standard receiver (2-3/4" or 3" Magnum receivers are equivalent except for the placement of the ejector), but a 3.5" barrel needs the Supermagnum receiver to eject fired 3.5" shells. The limiting factor for ejection is your receiver length and ejector position.
Old September 2, 2019, 07:22 PM   #14
Dfariswheel

There should be no problem with wear and tear on the 2 3/4 inch ejector, but don't count on it always properly ejecting a 3 inch fired case.
The only hazard for the ejector is if it's an Express MIM part. Then I may well break from the added stress of ejecting a 3 inch shell.

I'd think the risky part would be the extractor.
The 2 3/4 inch shell ejector will be putting a lot of stress on the extractor as it attempts to eject the longer 3 inch fired case.
It's probably going to be forcing the mouth of the 3 inch case against the ejection port and that will stress the extractor, which may break.

To give it all the help possible, make sure your gun has a Wingmaster/Police milled extractor, not the MIM Express version.
Old September 2, 2019, 07:56 PM   #15
KnightofCydonia

The shotgun is a 1967 Wingmaster with chromed bolt and machined extractor wearing a 1992 Express 28" barrel.

Those early Express barrels are REALLY HEAVY! I don't remember my 2007 Express barrel being so heavy.

Anyways, looks like I'm good to go. Will be nice slaying ducks with the Wingmaster.