The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old February 7, 2019, 09:51 AM   #26
briandg

Quote:
It's generally known among zoologists that only Eastern European zebras carry CZs. Lions live in Africa, and the two are unlikely to meet. Now, the TRUE animal to emulate is the All 'Murican Bison, which is typically seen carrying an 8" barreled Colt six-shooter out on the plains. The super cool ones wear Stetsons. They have no fear. They revel in the opportunity to be what they are.
You just made me laugh.

So... just a thought. Do bison choose buffalo bore?
Old February 7, 2019, 01:18 PM   #27
Fishbed77

Quote:
When you get past petty likes or dislikes of an individual you could learn more about the positive or negative impact emotions can have on your training.
I don't know who this guy is, so I have no predispositions, petty or otherwise.

However, when I read someone promoting ideas like:

* Law enforcement should be "demon hunters" (i.e. judge/jury/executioner) rather than community helpers (you know, their actual job)

* Veterans should be happy enough with memories of violence and its glorification and not seek counseling

* The right solution is always to run headlong into violence

...and then try to rationalize these arguments with some poorly thought-out analogy about armed zebras of all things... well, he's giving me a pretty objective reason not to like him.

I get that this article is probably just clickbait trying to get views for advertisers, but as we have seen, there are impressionable people who will buy into this dangerous BS.

Last edited by Fishbed77; February 7, 2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old February 7, 2019, 01:25 PM   #28
Sharkbite

Unfortunately, thats the way Gabe is.

His stint in Law Enforcement was that exact way. Looking for gunfights. His conversations at lunch during his time at Front Sight were full of bravado, much like this article. He narrowly missed becoming a felon after his Medical retirement from Santa Monica PD. Pleaded to misdemeanor charges over the ins fraud. Kinda sad.

He developed a good following of students after he started his own training bussiness, lots of good force on force classes. Reasonable techniques.

I would not want him called as a witnesses in my defense following a shooting.
Old February 7, 2019, 01:46 PM   #29
DukeConnor

He has some pretty nice Glock stuff in his store.
Old February 7, 2019, 04:11 PM   #30
Sharkbite

Quote:
He has some pretty nice Glock stuff in his store.
I agree. When i wanted my Glock 19 cut for an RMR, i sent it to Saurez int.
Old February 7, 2019, 05:37 PM   #31
briandg

Quote:
Unfortunately, that's the way Gabe is.
I believe you. That's exactly the problem. Like I said before my impression is that he was really talking from the heart, speaking his core beliefs about crime, violence, justice and social issues. IMO, based on several things that I read in other places, this is consistent. It's disturbing that the wingnuts used to hang out at the bars, now they are on the web, and some of them have millions of followers.

IF he was given a mental health assessment, I deeply suspect that many examiners would have his weapons taken away from him through legal channels. I am not sure if a detailed and deeper examination would do so, the examiner would need to find solid evidence that he is a danger to himself or others because he is in possession of firearms, and that taking those firearms would prevent that danger.

He's an "authority" so it's hard for people to throw him under the bus, call him out for the things that he passes to the public like an evangelist passes the word of God.

I am wondering what happened during the possibly thousands of man hours of discussion that led to a plea bargain down from a felony. That seems to be a little unusual given the seriousness of that offense. That's a big one. But the felony would have denied him the opportunity to "move on with his life" and keep his job as a trainer, and continue his business as a dealer of combat weapons. That was probably a long series of tough negotiations.

What sort of doctor declared him unfit for employment anyway?
Old February 8, 2019, 09:32 AM   #32
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Like I said before my impression is that he was really talking from the heart, speaking his core beliefs about crime, violence, justice and social issues.
Or even more troubling, and irresponsible, talking from the pocket book. Selling books, videos, and even training sessions to truly disturbed people. Setting up the potential for a disaster, and more bad press for 2A proponents.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 8, 2019, 11:16 AM   #33
briandg

That is also possible. chimp screaming to bring fringers into his club.

so, he owns and operates a school, does he really load it down with these crazy ideas, or does he just teach hardcore lethal force tactics? does his store have page after page of shouting, comic book descriptions of the new sight, or just facts?

Blog posts in this age are damaging. Hopefully his staff does not indoctrinate students into these ideas.
Old February 8, 2019, 02:40 PM   #34
Glenn E. Meyer

Lights out.

Closed