The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 31, 2018, 09:00 PM   #1
Jeryray

22 match ammo

I was using Federal gold match HV loads in my .22 pistols.
I get some won't eject and some don't go off.

Recommendations for match ammo that may have a better track record please.

Using a model 41 a UV Comp for competition.

TIA
Old September 1, 2018, 06:01 AM   #2
NoSecondBest

Jeryray,
I shot rimfire competition for twenty years and owned many, many target guns while I was doing it. In one ten year period I was going through seven cases of ammo a year and I learned a lot during that time. Based on what you're describing I think you have fallen into a situation where two things are happening: first, you're using an ammo that leaves a lot of lube in the chamber and residue on the slide and chamber. Second, and don't get mad here, you're not cleaning the gun enough. I found that some ammo simply left too much residue on the slide and in the chamber on almost every gun I owned. I used to carry a bent brush with me to give a "quick" scrub to the chamber area every once in a while. I also used to take the gun apart about every two-three hundred rounds and give everything a good cleaning. I ended up using ammo that had an "oily" lube rather than a waxy one. Eley and RWS became my choices for reliability. My next choice was CCI Std. Velocity which wasn't quite as good. I suggest you try a variety of ammo and see what works best in your CLEAN gun. I'm not implying you don't clean your guns, I'm just stating that rimfires are prone to stopping when fouled and the better target ones with tighter tolerances are ten times as bad. I had comped guns and they need the comp cleaned frequently also or they will foul up and are a bear to clean. Good luck.
Old September 1, 2018, 06:30 AM   #3
CDR_Glock

I love Eley match and team. Eley Tenex is great but it’s expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old September 1, 2018, 06:42 AM   #4
TXAZ

Eley is what many of the national and Olympic shooters use.
Old September 1, 2018, 07:12 AM   #5
Sevens

No way to argue any suggestion for Eley but over in the S&W forum it is standard operating procedure that when anyone reports issues with a Model 41, CCI-SV is quickly and almost always recommended.
Old September 1, 2018, 08:03 AM   #6
David R

I have found nothing"Match" about federal HV. Even their standard velocity is a poor representative of match ammo.

Shooting competition, SV Would always be my choice. I think your gun was built for standard velocity.

Enjoy
David

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old September 1, 2018, 11:41 AM   #7
Mike38

Model 41, as in S&W 41? Might be best to stay away from high velocity ammo. Try CCI standard velocity or pistol match. Eley standard velocity if money is no concern. RWS makes very good standard velocity ammo.
Old September 1, 2018, 12:40 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

"...Using a Model 41..." Smith 41's are the most particular .22 target pistol there are. Mine will shoot and cycle with nothing but Remington Target and the old IVI Standard Velocity(no longer available. Don't think it ever was, Stateside.). It won't cycle with any flavour of Eley brand.
Anyway, you must try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo your individual pistol will both shoot well and cycle the action using. The price of said ammo means nothing.
And yes you do end up with a bunch of part boxes. .22 rifles are less particular. Doesn't mean all .22 ammo will be accurate out of 'em though. You need to try ammo in them too.
"...stay away from high velocity ammo..." Absolutely and totally untrue. Lots of people Stateside use .41's for hunting. HV ammo won't bother 'em at all. Hypervelocity stuff like Yellow Jackets(discontinued, sniff) and CCI Mini-mags, etc., won't bother 'em either.
Old September 1, 2018, 10:13 PM   #9
RC20

I go with No Second Best. My Model 41 started doing the same thing and a good cleaning solved it.

Mine also cycled everything I ever ran through it.

They can be funny beasts, my brother had nothing but trouble with his and sold it (much to my annoyance, I would have bought it, sent ti to S&W and got a killer gun back, he had some of the attachments and two barrels, grrrr.)

They were pretty much hand built at least the older ones.

Usually they were very good, a few were really bad.

I have to get a red dot barrel for mine so I can shoot it again (iron sights are not my friend these days)
Old September 2, 2018, 08:21 AM   #10
David R

For hunting, HV is great, but for target I don't think anything will group as well as standard velocity.

David

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old September 2, 2018, 10:06 AM   #11
NoSecondBest

I totally agree with David R. Nothing wrong with HV for hunting, it shoots well enough for that purpose. It just doesn't make those tiny little groups we all like to look at.
Old September 2, 2018, 10:28 AM   #12
pete2

Some years ago I shot bullseye some. The real challenge was ammo that would fire every time. Most anything was accurate enough, even Remington milk carton but the solution was ammo that worked, every time you pulled the trigger. I was not good enough to take advantage of "match" ammo. I shot a MK2 Ruger and a couple High Standards. Right now I would try something from CCI if you are on a budget. I did have a batch of Federal Autocomp that worked well. ALSO, keep the gun clean, wipe any crap off the bolt face and rear face of the bbl.