The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 26, 2009, 12:14 PM   #1
LMH777

Rookie Equipment List

Greetings folks

i am a long time shooter, gun enthusiast and hunter. I have the urge to get into this CAS game. A little back ground, my wife and i are now empty nesters and I would very much like to get her involved and she would enjoy i'm sure. We've discussed, but what's next?

What does a Rookie need to get started? I have a win 94 in 44 mag saddle ring carbine - pre safety and angled ejection..

other than that nothing.. Other than a horse and saddle forgot about that!

Suggestions??
Old November 26, 2009, 12:31 PM   #2
madcratebuilder

The very first thing I would do is attend a few matches and see what others are using.

Your going to need one or two revolvers a scatter gun and a rifle. Have fun. Don't forget lots of hay for the oat burner.
Old November 26, 2009, 12:57 PM   #3
rickyjames

they have a weekly program on the outdoor channel, i think it's called cowboys. they give you some tips on what type of events, whats required as far as guns and dress requirements, shooting tips, etc. they even have mounted shooting events that might interest you since you have a hoss. as stated above you will need 2 six guns, a period shotgun and a rifle. i guess there are other side matches like long range rifle and other stuff too. lots of stuff for ladies too. check out the cass website i'm sure there is alot of info there.
Old November 26, 2009, 07:58 PM   #4
DrLaw

+1 to Madcratebuilder. I had an inkling to do this once, but not the wallet.

The Doc is out now.
Old November 26, 2009, 08:08 PM   #5
LMH777

thanks guys

i looked around and found there is a very active club about 30 miles south of me

I intend to contact them tomorrow and attend a shoot next month!
Old November 27, 2009, 08:35 AM   #6
Carolina Cowboy

Rookie

you should also look at this link and ask questions there as well. Welcome aboard. My girlfriend had never touched a gun, now is hooked. We both are in our 50's. Go have fun.
http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showforum=12
Old November 27, 2009, 09:18 AM   #7
B.L.E.

To compete in a regular CAS match, in addition to your rifle, you'll need a pair of single action revolvers and a CAS-legal shotgun, that is any side by side that doesn't have ejectors or Winchester '97 pump or modern reproduction there of.

I highly recommend choosing pistols that use the same ammo as the rifle so you don't have to juggle with two different types of ammo at the range.

A wagon or cart is handy for carrying all those guns and ammo from one stage to another.

Also, be sure to dress like you came of the set of a western movie.
Old November 27, 2009, 01:16 PM   #8
Noz

As stated before, the dress requirement is last on the list. For men, a long sleeve shirt, jeans and leather footwear without lug soles will get you started. For women, jeans and leather footwear without lug soles. No shirt requirement altho most women wear one. Hats are good to keep top ejecting rifle cases from bouncing of your head and shoulders. Hot cases can get interesting, especially with an open collar shirt.

Go to a shoot, ask questions, if a gun is offered to try, try it. See what is attractive to you and what fits your hands. Chances are one set of guns will get you started but that won't last long. She'll want guns that fit her and yours won't.

I hate to say it but 38/357 are probably your best bet for starters.

Remember, although this is a shooting sport, the emphasis is on having FUN with accuracy and speed down the list a ways.
Laugh at yourself, laugh at others, enjoy the people. they are the greatest group I have ever had occasion to associate with.
Old November 27, 2009, 01:45 PM   #9
B.L.E.

Quote:
I hate to say it but 38/357 are probably your best bet for starters.
Shoot a .38?, and have someone who shoots 160 grain bullets loaded to slingshot velocities out of his he-manly .45 call you a "gamer"?
Old November 28, 2009, 12:30 AM   #10
LMH777

thanks!!!