The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 29, 2008, 09:34 PM   #1
remingtonman1974

Who Made My 12 Gauge O/u ?

Hi I Just Bought At A Yard Sale Today A Ted Williams Model 400 12 Gauge Over Under In Like New Condition Today. It Has 28 Inch Barrels And Double Beaded Vent Ribs One Full One Mod. Single Triger ,auto Ejecters ,fine Engraving And Realy Finely Cut Walnut Stocks. Looks Way To Good To Be Sears.looks Like High Grade Winchester 101 Or Browning Citori Or Some Thing. Any Help On What It Is Worth Or Who Made It. Thanks Dennis. P.s I Paid 300
Old November 29, 2008, 11:59 PM   #2
johnbt

Pics would help. I suggest googling for pics of Win 101's and Nikko shotguns and see if you can match yours. Here's an ad for a Nikko Golden Eagle to get you started.

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/view...0&vsid=1&vgp=1
Old November 30, 2008, 06:47 AM   #3
dalecooper51

I found this on Shotgunworld.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=20

Quote:
Model 400

Q The numbers on my ted williams 20ga. o/u mod.400 and has a 3 in.cham. and has # 273,12710-o-full.u-mod. also says made in japan. i was under the impression that t.williams were made by win.and were sold by sears .....any info would be appr. ,,,,,such as when it was made and its worth

A the Winchester o/u shotguns were made in Japan until around the end of '87 Sears didn't use Win. exclusively, they dealt with anyone who would bid low eenough on the fiearm they wanted, sometimes this included building a gun to their specs. with cheaper wood, a lower quality finish, basically anything to lower the bottom line.
All Win 101's were manufactured for Olin Corp. at it's Olin-Kodensha facility in Tochigi Japan.
Interesting note, when Olin discontinued production of the 101 in '87 it was picked up by Classic Doubles and imported until 1990.