The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 2, 2018, 09:11 PM   #1
Stats Shooter

130 Grain Accubond Terminal performance From 270 win

This was a 130 grain Nosler accubond fired from a Ruger 77 , 270 win. MV of 3110 FPS using H4831. Antelope quartering towards. The bullet went through the front shoulder, took a turn and embedded in the muscle (shoulder) on the other side. Anchored him right there.

That's pretty good considering it hit bone at 100 yards and held together.
Old September 2, 2018, 11:52 PM   #2
HiBC

I have confidence in AccuBonds and they shoot very well for me.
I have had great performance with the 115 gr Ballistic tip in my 257 on pronghorn.

IMO,we could not ask for more from your recovered bullet. Congratulations!!

Not to rain on the parade,its a good testimonial,but a pretty small sample size.

I say that with confidence in Nosler's AccuBond. I use them.
Old September 3, 2018, 06:59 AM   #3
Stats Shooter

Yea I know small sample sizes and all....But I also know what is supposed to happen, and I dont often get to recover bullets on thin skinned game as they tend to go through.
Old September 3, 2018, 12:32 PM   #4
hooligan1

I will agree with all on this bullet, it flat works great for me too.
There have been incidents reported where they did not work properly, but I haven't seen that with at least 6 deer and one coyote cleanly taken with the Accubond.
Old September 14, 2018, 05:28 AM   #5
hooligan1

Pro Shooter Supply has one heck of a sale on those right now, check em out...
Old September 14, 2018, 06:31 AM   #6
Mobuck

My experience with Accubonds is limited to shooting 3 deer with 110 grainers out of a 257 Wby. They are OK as long as the velocity is high and/or you hit significant resistance.
Expansion and resultant tissue damage seemed minimal at long range even at 257 Wby velocities.
In one case, the approx 175# whitetail took a high lung hit @ 365 yards w/o apparent notice. As he turned and walked away, I sent another @ 380 yards which clipped his right hind quarter, entered the paunch, and traveled forward exiting just behind the opposite front shoulder. The buck walked out of sight but fell within 30-40 yards of taking the second hit.
The first hit produced only moderate lung damage and left a small diameter exit. The second hit did significant damage within the paunch as expected but again, only minimal damage to the lung and another finger sized exit.
Fortunately, the deer was in thin cover and easily found but under different conditions this sort of performance would have been problematic.
Old September 14, 2018, 07:11 AM   #7
HiBC

The bullet I use in my .257 AI is a Ballistic tip. It has never disappointed me.
I would not use it on a moose.But 175 lb deer? No problem! Try the Ballistic Tip.

Interesting info on the 110 gr Accubond. Noted.

Its a pretty tough challenge to make a 110 gr bullet that would hold together at 50 yds from a 257 WBY and still perform at near 400.

Now ,we are talking an anecdote of one animal...but I shot a nice buck deer at about 250 yds with a 30 cal 200 gr Accubond. MV 2900. It is a controlled expansion bullet.Exit wound,half dollar size.High lung. Instant vertical drop collapse,chin on the ground and legs underneath. Very minimal meat loss/blood shot.Could eat near the wound channel.