The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old April 11, 2016, 10:36 PM   #26
NateKirk

Could you explain exactly why pitbulls are more dangerous than other breeds?

If a dog is running up to someone, that person must judge the situation based on what they think the dog's intentions are, not by what breed it is. Automatically spraying or shooting a dog because it is a pitbull is akin to drawing on someone just because they are running in your direction; it's a failure to assess the situation which can lead to problems. Reading the animals body language, and reasoning is always important; are the dog's wagging their tails, are they growling, raised fur, are they more interested in me or my pet, etc.

BTW I just had an interesting thought; What is the legality of shooting a dog that is mauling your pet? Of course one would be moraly justified in doing so, but if pets are technically property then wouldn't that legally count as firing a weapon for defense of property, and not life and limb? I suppose the other persons dog is considered property as well.....any legal minds out there that can shed light on this?

― --Thomas Jefferson
Old April 11, 2016, 11:30 PM   #27
Tactical Jackalope

Oh no! So dangerous! Look at her now.

Pitbulls aren't any more or less dangerous than any other breed.

People. People are ones that make them dangerous. As can be done with any breeds. Why Pitbulls? Well... Why did they get the best fit gladiators to fight in the colostrum?

Pitbulls have more natural muscle and can be trained to gain even more, faster than any other breed. That's why. So your little chart is skewed facts. Kind of like how people use charts for "gun crimes" in all types of skewed ways. You don't happen to think guns go off on their own too, do you? Cause it's kind of the same thing.

Pitbulls aren't any more or less dangerous. In fact, the German Shepherd we have and the African Basenji are both far more aggressive than our Pitbull.
Closed Thread