The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 10, 2015, 03:11 PM   #26
wogpotter

I learned that I have to be my own warehouse because the store & distribution chain weren't any more.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old January 10, 2015, 03:15 PM   #27
GJSchulze

This was my first shortage; I've only been reloading for three years. Powder has been the hardest to find followed by primers, bullets, and brass in that order.

I only reload 9mm, so comments relate to pistol components.

I want to have a two to three year supply of powder, a one to two year supply of primers (closer to two), and close to a one year supply of bullets. Towards the 2016 election I may increase my stock replenishment. I don't think you have to have equal amounts in stock if primers and bullets will appear on the shelves before powder. OTOH, it doesn't hurt.

1) find powders that are close to my favorite in case I have to switch. This can apply to bullets as well.
2) email notifications of availability are useless. Everything disappears by the time you read the email.
3) gunbot is useful, but you must be looking at it when the item shows up. You have, at most, 30 minutes to order.
4) auction sites are scalpers. I won't pay 3 - 4 times the regular price.
5) there's no downside to overstocking because you can always sell it.
6) even buying locally you have to be lucky to hear about a needed component becoming available.

Question: in previous shortages was powder also the last component to show up?
Old January 10, 2015, 07:29 PM   #28
rg1

Previous shortages were mainly primers. Impossible to find any at all.
Old January 10, 2015, 07:53 PM   #29
hartcreek

All I did was shoot something different from my safe. Shoot .380 for a while then switch to .38 S&W then go to .44 Special or Magnum then some .32ACP and then to BP.
Old January 10, 2015, 07:58 PM   #30
Nick_C_S

I was oblivious to all the previous shortages. I never knew that these things even happen. What little shooting I did at the time(s), I was using previously purchased components. So this one really caught me flat footed and unprepared.

My personal situation was never critical. At worst, I was using magnum primers (CCI 550) in place of regular. That's no big deal. But I had to do a lot of standing in line to get my primers n powder. I was successful, but it was a lot of time and effort.

I still consider this shortage ongoing. And I will continue to consider it so until I walk into my LGS and see more pistol powder than I currently have. Right now, my powder supply looks like a cornucopia bonanza compared to my LGS. No way to compare, actually. Can't divide by zero.
Old January 10, 2015, 08:18 PM   #31
sawdustdad

I guess I need to buy some more primers and bullets...to go with all the powder I have now...
Old January 10, 2015, 08:33 PM   #32
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I guess I need to buy some more primers and bullets...to go with all the powder I have now...
I'm actually a touch low on WSP's (Win small pistol primers). By "a touch low," I mean, I have 1700. But I shoot a lot of 38 Special - that'll only last me into spring(ish). I have about 1500 Fed match primers for back up.

Bullets n powder: I'm stocked. Just replenished my 158 SWC supply this week. But that's where I am right now: I just need to replace what I use.
Old January 10, 2015, 09:16 PM   #33
lamarw

Powder Valley does have primers in stock. The Winchester small pistol primers are $29.00 per thousand as an example. Wish they would get power back in stock. I am OK, but it sure would be nice to see it available again.
Old January 10, 2015, 09:21 PM   #34
Nick_C_S

WSP

Yeah I'm not worried. I poke my head in my LGS about once a week. If they have them, I'll grab a brick or two. If that doesn't happen, I'll just wait until Midway has 5000 in stock. Either way, or both.
Old January 10, 2015, 10:42 PM   #35
Marco Califo

Because I have, and have had, adequate supplies and variety, I never ran out of anything. Now that things are better, I added 5000 russian 556M primers and more variety of powders.
I think it pays to have 8 lb powders (AA Data 2230C and WC844) and lots of primers for what you reload, as in about a 2 year supply. Then, these shortage are just an annoyance as you wait for 8 lb IMR4895, and 4 lb Power Pistol, for example, to be available again.
Old January 11, 2015, 12:22 AM   #36
GWS

I guess I didn't learn much from the anti gun scares. I still don't stock up 2 years worth on ammo or components.

What I learned, I learned 30 years ago when I was visiting Mississippi for a year. There was a truck strike, and the grocery store shelves were bare in 2 days........I actually witnessed two women fighting over the last loaf of bread. (serious hair pulled out by the roots fighting) A policeman had to stop it.

Since that time I keep a two year supply of food and rotate it....and a two week supply of water. If I hoarded ammo, I wouldn't have enough funds to do that, so the ammo comes third. Have I ever needed the stored food? No, but others who lost jobs have.....and I've been glad to help a few out. That's easy when there's not a country-wide panic.

The worst of times brings out the worst of people, and a family may have to run to safety. In that case big stores of ammo (or food for that matter) is likely going to be left behind. Best bet there is to pack up light. Pick one handgun and one rifle with light ammo, and a backpack for each member of the family with 72 hours worth of provisions for one person in it plus what smaller members can't carry. I keep those 72 hour kits in my storage room.
Old January 11, 2015, 12:38 AM   #37
rg1

Good point GWS!! You can't eat bullets and powder.
Old January 11, 2015, 07:28 AM   #38
LE-28

I had plenty of supplies when the shortage hit so I guess I didn't learn anything. I've went through 3 shortages so far and this is the only one I knew about because I keep a lot of supplies on hand at all times and I wouldn't have known about this one either except for reading all the complaints on the forum. I didn't belong to any forums when the first two hit.
I just always have kept a lot of supplies on hand so I guess if I learned anything, it would be I'm apparently doing the right thing.

Probably not what you wanted to here Nick
Old January 11, 2015, 08:05 AM   #39
1stmar

Most all responses are about rationing and stock piling. I'm curious if anyone has correlated the triggers from each of the shortages. Like others, I started reloading 30 years ago but dropped out of shooting for 20+ years. Now getting back into it in the middle (hopefully the end) of this shortage. No doubt it's tied to political climate and dems in the White House. But more specifically it's probably tied to a specific agenda which is triggered by something ie sandy hook (though sandy hook occurred to late for this shortage). If you can predict it's easier to prepare.
Old January 11, 2015, 10:36 AM   #40
wogpotter

Life is no longer free from politics in any area. Very regrettable.

I don't recall the previous shortages as being as widespread, lasting as long, or being as widespread on what was in short supply.

Unfortunately "hoarding", "Keeping an adequate supply" & so on is not a one size fits all proposition. When I say I've become the warehouse because the supply chain wont I do not mean keeping a 50 year supply. I do mean if I used to keep a months worth of supplies & consumables when it took 3 weeks to replace them I now am obliged to keep a 6 month supply because its now 6 times harder to get those same things.

That's a response to a changing situation, not hoarding.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old January 11, 2015, 11:43 AM   #41
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Probably not what you wanted to here Nick
LE-28: It's an open discussion. And it is what I was looking for - people's perspective. Not necessarily just the nuts-n-bolts. Thanks for your input.
Old January 11, 2015, 11:46 AM   #42
Nick_C_S

Quote:
If I hoarded ammo, I wouldn't have enough funds to do that (store critical supplies)
Thanks for the perspective GWS. It gives pause to the big picture.

(I thought the first rule of prepping is to not tell anybody you're prepping? )
Old January 11, 2015, 11:49 AM   #43
Nick_C_S

Quote:
No doubt it's tied to political
No doubt. The Big Shortage was caused 100% by politics. We all know this and we all know why.

It's been a while since I've read TFL's rules. But I believe we're not supposed to go down the political road.
Old January 11, 2015, 12:32 PM   #44
Marco Califo

I would MUCH rather shoot 2 year old components than eat 2 year old food.
I am also happy that I personally, can store adequate supplies AND eat well.
Keeping an adequate supply, and hoarding, are two very different things. Also, planning ahead is very different from panic buying (especially the wrong stuff).

Last edited by Marco Califo; January 11, 2015 at 08:49 PM.
Old January 12, 2015, 08:14 PM   #45
Longshot4

I have been loading since the 70s on and off. Back then I could find pretty much what ever I needed and it had been cheep for a long time. Wow!
Now I have to travel to have a chance to find what I want. The local shops are either out of the reloading business or they just don't have it. I have found that those that have it are ripping me off with prices. Thanks to the web I have a chance to find what I want at a reasonable price. I just ordered supplies from Midway on Saturday afternoon and received it this morning (Monday). I was surprised how fast it came. Although even Midway doesn't always have what I want. But with a little patents they get it in. I wish people wouldn't horde the stuff.
Old January 13, 2015, 12:02 AM   #46
Geezerbiker

After the first primer shortage, I've always kept a 2 to 3 year supply on hand. I also have a pretty good stash of bullets and powder.

My biggest take on this shortage is don't expect to be able to shoot a new rifle in a caliber I don't already reload for.

I now have 2 rifles in the last couple years that need IMR4227 for the best results. I can make less than ideal loads with powers on hand but that's the best I can hope for...

Tony
Old January 13, 2015, 01:14 AM   #47
Wat_Tyler

The lesson I learned is that reading The Alpha Strategy was a good idea.

Basically, if there is a product you know you will use for the next 40 years, then why not buy 40 years worth of it (preferably at a discount for buying in bulk)?

I'm not to the point where I can afford THAT much ammo, but I actually took advantage during the scare. I don't want to rip anyone off, but if I could trade a few K of .22 for a rifle, then why not?

I know, beyond any doubt, that my family will use toilet paper for decades to come. I don't have a decades' worth, but I've got at least a year's worth.

The same applies to any of the 3 calibers I reload for (I'm reasonably new to the hobby/addiction).
Old January 13, 2015, 01:20 PM   #48
Marco Califo

If I have it, then my supply is adequate.
But if you want it, then I am stockpiling.
Old January 13, 2015, 01:21 PM   #49
Mike Irwin
Staff

My big take away is that people are panicky idiots.

But I really knew that already...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 13, 2015, 06:05 PM   #50
Snyper

Quote:
My big take away is that people are panicky idiots.
Exactly
The whole "shortage" was caused by panic buying due to speculation