The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 2, 2009, 10:50 PM   #1
Dan The Sig Man

Ok lets talk Experience

Ok I am really REALLY getting tired of the Stupid comments that people think they NEED to add to someones thread... I do not think that ANYONE that askes a Question should get some of the CRAP that people hand out. I mean we are ALL here for pretty much that same purpose, to know as much as we CAN about a Hobby, Sport, whatever you want to call it... RELOADING

So here is what I want to ask. TRUTHFULLY, not those who like to lie about it. How Much Experience Do You Have ACTUALLY Reloading Ammunition?

Last edited by Dan The Sig Man; May 2, 2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old May 2, 2009, 10:52 PM   #2
Wildalaska

Started in 1981 or thereabouts.

WildsoireservemyrightstobethejerkthatiamAlaska TM
Old May 2, 2009, 10:54 PM   #3
Dan The Sig Man

I will be COMPLETELY honest...

I have NOT reloaded the first round... YET

I plan to reload for a long time starting as soon as I get ALL of my componets, that I know will come and things will get better.
Old May 2, 2009, 10:56 PM   #4
DiscoRacing

six months...pretty heavy tho... have loaded probably nearly 5,000 rds in that time in five calibers
Old May 2, 2009, 11:03 PM   #5
Steviewonder1

Let's Talk Experience

I started with a Lee Loader (use a plastic hammer to make the pieces work and a powder scoup for Bullseye powder) in 38Spl in 1970. Moved up to Brand Green single stage press in 1973 at my second home. Had a FFL to load Ammo from 1974-1978. Sold retail on the street so I could buy components Wholesale with the FFL. Used the single stage press on Pistol Ammo (38Spl/.357Mag/44Mag) until 1993 when I bought the first of my Twin Dillon SDB's for Pistol Only. Have loaded 9MM, 38/357Mag, 40S&W and 45ACP since 1993. Total quantity well over 25,000 rounds. I shot most of them during the mid to late 90's in IPSC. Currently loading 40S&W and .45ACP as that is what I shoot now in IDPA and IPSC. Currently well stocked to shoot and train in today's world.
Old May 2, 2009, 11:05 PM   #6
okiefarmer

Started in 1971. Bought Dad his first shotshell reloader, and it blossomed from there. We converted two of the old wooden grainery bins in the building, about 10X20, and after I left for college in '73, got my first reloader while there. I was addicted at an early age. Have always made it a habit of picking up lead anywhere I could find it, and between myslef and Dad, have enough to last us till we both croak and prolly my boys too.

That said, I am certainly not the reloading guru, and never claimed to be. I learn far more on here than I offer, and usually don't offer unless I feel confident in replying.
Old May 2, 2009, 11:06 PM   #7
butta9999

Started reloading when i was 12 with my dad, been doing it on my own for 12-15 years now... Probably reloaded between 15000-20000 rounds for various calibers.

And every time i reload a batch i learn something else. At the moment i am in need of help on how to reload for a pump action, as i have only reloaded for bolt action rifles.

i feel i have adequate experience in reloading and an understanding of all the requirements involved.

Sites like firingline.com have been very informative to me from various members, as i hope i have been to them in what knowledge i have.

I was born in 1981 Wild Alaska......
Old May 2, 2009, 11:11 PM   #8
BIGR

Been loading pistol and rifle ammo since 1987......
Old May 2, 2009, 11:18 PM   #9
tiberius10721

Ive been reloading 38 special ,357 magnum,45 acp ,380 acp for about 5 yrs now .probabley reloaded a total of 10000 or so rounds.I have yet to reload any rifle ammunition but I plan on reloading for my 8mm mauser I just purchased.Ive never used any piece of equipment other than my lee turret press.Dont feel bad Dan I once asked a simple question about a rifle powder I planned on using and actually had someone named captain 73 sending me personal emails to insult me.he was just a punk who feels powerful on the internet .
Old May 2, 2009, 11:33 PM   #10
Sarge

Since 1975...started with the little Lee 'Pound It' Kit (38's using cast bullets & Red Dot) and promptly lit off a primer while seating it- mighty loud in a little upstairs apartment. I bought a used single-stage Pacific press that same year, and still use it. It has cranked untold pounds of lead & powder into pistol and rifle ammo; couldn't begin to guess how many thousands of rounds altogether.
Old May 2, 2009, 11:47 PM   #11
Ole 5 hole group

Started in 1958 or thereabouts and still manage to *uckup every now & then.
Old May 2, 2009, 11:49 PM   #12
aaalaska

Loaded my first round in 1965, with yea the old lee with the plastic hammer, been at it ever since. And yes I'm still looking for good honest info, no one can know it all. Alex
Old May 3, 2009, 12:11 AM   #13
RamSlammer

Started in '84 loading .44 magnum as a way to afford my obsession with IHMSA shooting. First press was a rock chucker which was sold as my IHMSA and reloading hobbies both died off in 1992.

Back into it as of last year with new Lee Turret press, couple of single stages and now reloading pistol and rifle rounds furiously to keep up with a renewed shooting passion and for handgun hunting. I now find myself looking for things like a Mod 57 .41 magnum, just because I want to load that caliber.

Vicious cycle . . . reloading makes you want to shoot more which makes you want to reload more. Do I reload to shoot or shoot to reload . . . dunno. Both make me happy.
Old May 3, 2009, 12:33 AM   #14
PowderBurn14

I started reloading in 1997. My first reloads were 9mm. Since then I have loaded .223, 25-06, .308, 30-06, and .300 win mag in rifle. 9mm, .38 spl, .357 mag, .44 mag, and .45 auto in pistol. I also load 12 gauge for trap and grouse hunting. I am very picky about my reloads. I test many different load combos before mass production. I test velocity, accuracy, penetration and expansion. I also look for pressure signs, flattened/pierced primers, heavy recoil, brass sticking in chambers, etc. I have made mistakes too. I destroyed my first chronograph with a .44 mag shot load and I accidently made 1 squib load in .38 spl. The bullet got halfway down the barrel with just the primer. I had to hammer it out with an aluminum cleaning rod. I knew what to expect so I was able to catch it. So, it has been about 12 years, and I am still learning.
Old May 3, 2009, 12:39 AM   #15
Sevens

I'm curious about which particular thread and/or post moved you to start this one? Typically, the H&R area of TFL is pretty well self-regulated, though it seems to have it's moments. *

Anyhow, I start reloading as a 17-year old in '89 with a S&W 686, a Lee single stage "o" frame press and a set of Lee carbide .38 Special dies. I had the big long box of Lee powder dippers, a can of Green Dot, a Speer #11 manual and Speer swaged LRN and SWC bullets. No scale! Federal brass, CCI-500 primers. I had no teacher, no mentor, no internet. But I had that Speer #11! I made great ammo, even ventured in to cast wadcutters, which I thought was a big step at the time. That was my start with metallic. At the same time, Mom bought me a Mec-650 to run to support our skeet habit (I was shooting 8 rounds a week) and I was churning out Skeet 9's in Win AA and Rem Premier hulls. She bought that machine and the food to keep it happy, but I ran it. And I funded my .38 Special gig.

Didn't add my second caliber (.45) until '92. 10mm shortly after. .30 Carb after that, then .223. Held steady with those through about '97, then the shooting and reloading dried up for a couple of years as I "started a family." By '02, I was back in to it as time to shoot would allow. By '03, I was running back in a groove, MAKING time to shoot, and actually needing to reload.

In the last 3 years, I've been in to reloading in a big, big way. A good friend that lived really close (like a couple streets away) bought 13 acres, moved out there and within the first month, we had heavy equipment and set to building our own range. So now I have my "own" place to shoot, only about 55 miles away. So the reloading is constant and the shooting is much more regular.

My purpose in the H&R forum at TFL? Twofold. Number one is the simple act of paying back for all the help I've gotten over the years in other subjects by helpful folks in enthusiast forums. (mostly in motorcycles)

Number two is that I try to get in early on basic questions and try to handle as many softballs as I can so that the really brilliant minds that we have kicking around here on a regular basis don't get bogged down by the good old "how many grains in a pound" type of questions! Last thing in the world I want to see happen is the Unclenick and SL1 posters (and anyone who can hang with these fellows) to get burned out by someone asking easy questions that most seasoned reloaders can quickly answer.

* Hmmm, now that I think about it, it's probably that thread asking about how many grains in a pound, isn't it!
Old May 3, 2009, 12:53 AM   #16
jamaica

I was still in high school when I got my first reloading stuff. I graduated in 1958, so that has been a few years. I have loaded for 30-30, 30-06, 264 Win, 218 Bee, 222 rem, .308, 45 Colt, 45 ACP. 44 spl, 44 mag, .357, 38 Spl, 243, and 270 Win. I have no idea how many rounds. I also cast handgun bullets.
Old May 3, 2009, 12:59 AM   #17
Dan The Sig Man

Ok well I guess I will ask the STAFF to please close this Thread. Seems that this thread is ONLY for the most BILLIANT MINDS and us Newbies or not so Brilliant Minds do not deserve to have our Questions answered or even thought about by those that are Superior to us.

To answer your question; The main reason that I started this thread is that I was CURIOUS as too waht kind of Experience was here and to be HONEST... I wanted to make sure that I didnt BLOW my hand or face off by listening to the Advice given by those on this forum, that were not seasoned VETS in reloading... But I am sorry that I insulted you and the Brilliant Minds here on TFL.
Old May 3, 2009, 01:02 AM   #18
Tex S

Had a reloading stint back in 04'-05' on my roomates RCBS Rock Chucker. Only loaded 308win. The accurate ammo got me hooked, but I had it in my head exactly how I wanted my own setup to be so I started stashing brass. I was just able to afford it this Christmas (with alot of help from Santa ). I have been at the bench at least 5 nights a week since then. I love it. Things dealing with precision are very satisfying to me.

I am no expert when it comes to reloading, but I can tell you that I reload safe, don't half ass anything, and I am a generally mechanically inclined person. I keep detailed logs and try my best to make darn good ammo... and usually I'm successful! While there are many tips and tricks, any person who can follow instructions and pay attention can be good at reloading. Just my 2 cents...
Old May 3, 2009, 01:08 AM   #19
armsmaster270

I started in the 60's with a single stage RCBS and now have a Dillon 550B, a Lee Turret and my old RCBS I have loaded 38/357, 40, 44spl & mag, 45Auto & LC, 30-30, 30-40Krag, 30-06.
I don't and will not give advice as to loads but will refer to a loading manual.
Old May 3, 2009, 01:19 AM   #20
Sixer

Dan, why the hostility bro? Did you get confused and mistake this for the GD forum on AR15.com? This is an interesting and neat subject IMO, but you are comin from way out in left field

I just started to reload about 2 months ago. Actually started setting up about 4 months ago, but I never seemed to have everything I needed (still don't). The advice I recieved from some of the reloading veterans here on TFL was KEY in getting me off to a good start. I had to ask ALOT of dumb questions, but I don't recall being made fun of. I think most of the experienced reloaders would rather take a little time to answer a "stupid" noob question than have a new guy blow his thumb off. But hey, what do I know

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old May 3, 2009, 01:29 AM   #21
Dan The Sig Man

I really am not trying to be out of line... This is my first reloading or really shooting forum. I always kept to myself and did my own thing. But, when I decided to start reloading I found what I was told was the BEST reloading forum on the Net. Well I think it is BS when someone gets ridiculed becasue they ask a BASIC or SIMPLE question. I think and believe that forums are for INFO and even the smallest and most basic questions should be welcome NO matter how many times it gets asked. If people think that they are too Brilliant Minded to answer said questions... Than KEEP YOU MOUTHS SHUT, and dont reply at all. I do not need to hear how much you think my question is BASIC or IMMATURE.

After reading the Harsh replies and comments I have seen a Newbie get on here, I am always thinking twice about asking ANY question I have, cause I dont want to deal with the Smart A**es that think they are better than me. And that might just be very dangerous for me, as I might blow something up in my face.

I am sorry that I get all worked up about stuff like this, but it is just BS for someone to pop off at the mouth because an inexperienced person wants to know Basic info. I will be honest and say that I would rather ask a question about something basic, and maybe get a BETTER explaination than what I MIGHT interpret from a sometimes hard to understand Manual. For a Newbi to reloading, those manuals can be VERY hard to comprehend when you dont know all the LINGO.
Old May 3, 2009, 02:00 AM   #22
joneb

Reloading isn't for everyone, it takes patients to learn and focus to execute.
If you post a question be patient for a reply, as Sevens said
Quote:
Typically, the H&R area of TFL is pretty well self-regulated, though it seems to have it's moments. *
This means wait a few days to digest the replies.
Don't take anything you read here as gospel, manufacturers of bullets, powder and reloading equipment have tech. support, use it.
Old May 3, 2009, 02:29 AM   #23
dipper

Quote:
So here is what I want to ask. TRUTHFULLY, not those who like to lie about it. How Much Experience Do You Have ACTUALLY Reloading Ammunition?
I started reloading in 1975.....but I have to ask Dan, are you asking the people here to qualify their knowledge to you??

If you are coming here for help, I think you have an awful weird way of asking for it.
I have found the people that visit this forum are very helpful and knowledgeable and most are quite willing to answer a question and lend a hand....I personally haven't seen any posts that I would consider to harsh.

Quote:
to be HONEST... I wanted to make sure that I didnt BLOW my hand or face off by listening to the Advice given by those on this forum,
Here's a GOOD tip, DON'T listen to ANYTHING posted on a forum UNLESS YOU take the time to verify it YOURSELF---in other words, DO YOUR HOMEWORK and don't try to take the easy way out and ask questions one at a time on a forum.

Quote:
After reading the Harsh replies and comments I have seen a Newbie get on here, I am always thinking twice about asking ANY question I have, cause I dont want to deal with the Smart A**es that think they are better than me. And that might just be very dangerous for me, as I might blow something up in my face.
It would be very dangerous for you not to get and READ a few good manuals and then IF there are things you do not understand ask questions.........but DON'T try and take short cuts and not READ the manuals....that's dangerous.
Basic info is covered in many good manuals and some manuals that I own go into advanced reloading----when people come here with VERY BASIC questions, I am sure that to some people it screams " I am to lazy to read and study any manuals and it is easier for me to just ask questions here."

Quote:
For a Newbi to reloading, those manuals can be VERY hard to comprehend when you dont know all the LINGO.
ALL of my manuals have what is called a "GLOSSARY" at the back....it gives comprehensive definitions of all the "LINGO" used in reloading....check it out.

Don't get angry at the people here Dan and take some good advice....get a few good manuals and read them...some are very comprehensive and explain the procedures in great detail.
You'll be much better off in the long run and then you won't have to check and see if we here are worth trusting....trust yourself.
Old May 3, 2009, 02:38 AM   #24
tiberius10721

dont stress it dan just remember once you start reloading dont reload a whole bunch in one session that way your not left with a whole bunch of mistakes.I remember when I started I didnt have the right lee disk size for 380 acp I was using hp-38 so I just used the dipper that came with die set and my loads turned out fine!powder charge ,bullet seating seating,crimp, and overall lenth are the main things to focus on.your reloading manual is gospel.the little instruction papers that come with your dies are extremely helpful.when Im changing calibers on my lee turret press I still read the instructions that came with the dies.when I first started reloading I reloaded 38 special first and it was an easy caliber to start with in my opionion.I didnt resize the cases properley so I had a hard time loading them in the cylinder,but I still fired them.the powder charge was good and the oal was good so they worked they were just a pain in the ass to push into the cylinder.I didnt even know about a reloading forum back then it was just trial and error.Reloading manual makes good reading at night before you go to bed!
Old May 3, 2009, 05:11 AM   #25
Sport45

I started reloading in 1999. Mainly to reduce the cost of shooting 9mm (which was an outragous $5 a box at the time). It also allowed me to shoot the 7.7Jap Arisaka my dad brought home from WWII at a reasonable cost. I found reloading to be about the only way to shoot that and other obsolete guns like my brother's .375win Big Bore '94.

I load the following regularly:
30-06 for M1
7.7Jap
.223 for AR
.45acp for 1911's and XD45 (Boo on the XD for not feeding SWC!)
9mm for Sig P226
.45C for Redhawk

I also load, but not as frequently:
.38spcl
.357mag
.44mag
.44spcl
.375win