The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 8, 1999, 05:55 PM   #1
Joe Portale

Hi folks,

I currently use a Lee Turret press with auto index and that blasted little plastic gear gave up the ghost, again. I'm just about fed up with this. I decided to start looking for a new press. Every gunshop that I stop into directs me to a Dillon. Since I would like a progressive, Dillon seems a bit pricey.

Can anyone tell me anything about the Lee Pro-1000 or the Load Master? I am also looking at the Hornaday Lock and Load or the Lyman T-Mag Turret. I load LOTS AND LOTS of pistol ammo, so I need a press that can keep up with me.

Thanks in advance,

Joe Portale
Tucson, Arizona Territory
Old July 8, 1999, 06:39 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

I think every bulletin board you visit is also going to direct you to Dillon.
Old July 9, 1999, 12:02 AM   #3
flatlander

Dittos, MalH. My Dillon 450B has loaded nearly 65,000 45ACP's over the years, and my 550B right at 40,000 38 Supers. Those are the only calibers I've kept tabs on - both presses have loaded several thousand 9mm, 223, and 10mm rounds also. They are well thought out and engineered, well built, and Dillon's warranty is tough to beat.
Old July 9, 1999, 10:27 AM   #4
Fred

Joe,

Mal and flatlander are right about Dillon probably being recommended more often than not. It is very good equipment. That said, there also is life without Dillon. I use a Lee Pro 1000 and have no complaints. Would I have purchased the Dillon at the time? Sure I would, but money was definitely an issue for me at then, and I didn't want to wait any longer to start reloading.

I got the 1000 from Midway on sale for $117, including dies and turret for one caliber. I know some folks have had bad experiences with the Lee presses, but I'm not one of them. I use mine to reload 9, 40 and 45 ACP. The 9's and 40's give me no trouble at all. I do have an occasional primer feed problem with the large primers for 45, but that's about it. All told, I probably have loaded 10,000 rounds or so by now. Would I buy another one? Based on my experience, yes I would. Hope that helps.

------------------
Regards - AZFred

Old July 9, 1999, 11:17 AM   #5
Joe Portale

Fred,

This might sound like a stupid question, but on your Pro 1000, do the cases turn or the dies? Also, do use use the automatic bullet feeder? If yes, dies it work?

Joe
Old July 9, 1999, 03:26 PM   #6
Fred

Joe,

The cases turn, not the dies. The dies are mounted in a fixed turret. The cases mount in an auto-indexing shell plate that with each pull of the handle, rotates the brass to the next station. By the way, it is only a 3-station press, so that may be a concern for you. For example, I like to use the Lee Factory Crimp die, but don't have space for it in the Pro 1000. So I seat the bullets at station 3, then transfer the loaded ammo to my Rockchucker where I run them through the crimp die. It's no big deal for me, but does represent some extra time if you opt for this extra crimping operation.

No, I don't use the bullet feeder. I'm a little paranoid, so I seat each bullet by hand. This gives me the opportunity to visually check each case for the correct powder charge. I should also mention that the press came with Lee's powder measure that is designed to work with Lee powder-through dies, so my dies are Lee to take advantage of that fact. The powder measure mounts directly into the top of the expander die at station 2, and works very well. If you need any other info, just ask.

------------------
Regards - AZFred

[This message has been edited by Fred (edited July 09, 1999).]
Old July 9, 1999, 10:05 PM   #7
Joe Portale

Just one omre fast question Fred,

Does the Pro 1000 have a automatic case ejector or do you have to manually remove the loaded cartridge? I believe that the three stationpress will work fine for me. Actually that is what I have been using with the turret. I have not found any reason to use a factory crimping die. I load almost exclusively alot pistol ammo in 9mm,45LC/ACP
and some 38/357. I load 30/30 every so often, but I use a single stage Lee Challenger Press for that.

I was invited to look at a Load Master today and have to say was impressed. The prices at Midway are within my budget,also. Decisions...decisions...decisions.

Joe Portale
Old July 10, 1999, 07:49 PM   #8
Colduglandon

I use the 1000 exclusively for 38/357. Would like to use for 45 ACP, is it a big problem to change calibers. Also I occasionaly have a problem with the way the primers feed. Any hints on what to do about that situation.
Old July 10, 1999, 09:22 PM   #9
Joe Portale

Paul,

Right now I have the Lee Turret that uses a completely different primer loading system. But the guy who let me see his Load All setup said that vibration is a real problem with the primer feeding. If your table os a bit wobbley, this may be the cause. What's happening, are the primers flipping over and being pushed in backwards?

Joe Portale
Old July 11, 1999, 06:23 AM   #10
ZFH

I have the T-magII. It works great for my needs. It's not a full progressive as you need to manually need to index it. I like it because I now have 2 sets of dies on it. Plus it's a pretty hurky press.

Chris
Old July 12, 1999, 12:25 PM   #11
Fred

Joe - the loaded rounds are kicked out automatically as the shell plate rotates.

Paul - you can change calibers a couple of ways. If the primer size stays the same, then you can just get the appropriate shell plate for the new caliber and install it in place of the present one. If the primer size will change, then you need to buy the whole shell plate carrier. This is a complete assy with shell plate and primer feed system. Shell plate carriers run about $40 from Midway. They also used to list just the shellplate, but I can't find in the catalog I just referenced.

------------------
Regards - AZFred

Old July 14, 1999, 07:23 AM   #12
Colduglandon

My primers don't always feed properly. They either get flipped over as I try to prime and don't seat at all, or the primer will occassionaly be set in sideways.
Old July 14, 1999, 11:45 AM   #13
Joe Portale

Paul,

I don'thaveany experience with the 1000, yet. I ordered one from Midway the other day.

As far as your primer problem, I had a similar problem. I have the Lee Turret with auto index. The primers sit in a little spring loaded cup on a toggle arm. As the shell is brought down after decapping, the cup and primer slip through a hole in shell holder. This is probably very close to what goes on with the 1000. I had to file a slight bevel on the top edge of the primer cups. The squared edges caught on the inside of the shell holder from time to time, flipping the primer. Also, a lot of vibration while you are reloading will flip the primers. Make sure your reloading table is solid.

Joe Portale
Old July 19, 1999, 09:30 AM   #14
G35MN

Get a DILLION!!!

I was new to reloading and got a Dillion Square Deal B about a year ago. I love it.
I had done some reloading by hand before with a little Lee kit but it would take forever to do. With the Dillion I can do 300-400 rounds an hour.

It's very consistant and came shipped set up to do 9mm. I bought a second tool head for $20.. and now I can swith from 9mm to .40 in about 20-30 minutes.

Never had a problem with it and I figure I have reloaded about 6000 rounds so far.

Dillions service is also the best.

So what are you waiting for get a Dilion..
You won't regret it. Ya they cost alittle more but worth every penny!

Brad
Old July 19, 1999, 02:15 PM   #15
BillOH

I learned a long time ago that you should always purchase the best even if it costs more than you can afford. Long after the amount you spent has been forgotten you will either have good things to say about your purchase or you will be very sorry you tried to save a little money Needless to say, all my reloading equipment is Dillon Blue. BILL
Old August 1, 1999, 12:06 PM   #16
Sportster

Dillon may be nice,but for a progressive,nearly everything is add on at additional price. I bought a Lee Loadmaster.....heck with the Dillon expenses! Never had a prob with the Lee.......
Old August 1, 1999, 01:50 PM   #17
Joe Portale

Well,

With everything said and done, I bought a Lee Pro 1000. I have to say that I am happy with it. I had a couple problems with it at first, but the jury is out on whether it was the machine or my own stupidity. The case loader works great, the shell plate carriers are easy to change once you get the nack of it, the primer feed is okay. I don't like the gravity feed. Once you get down to about ten primers, they stop feeding. The guys at Lee told me that ten primers do not have enough weight to keep the individual primers moving. I have to push them along with a small screw driver. Anyone have any other tricks that they could share? (sounds like a new topic to me) My only regret is I should have order the bullet feeder at the same time. My hands a pretty large and I have a bit of trouble getting them through the posts to place the bullet.

------------------
Joe Portale
Sonoran Sidewinder
Tucson, Arizina territory
Old August 2, 1999, 03:11 PM   #18
DblTap

Your selection will depend on how much you load (number of rounds per month) and how much time you want to spend in front of the press.

My daughter has just started shooting USPSA competition with me so we go through 2000-2500 rounds a month. At a very casual pace, I can load 450 rounds an hour on my Dillon 650. I've had it for seven years and the only parts that wore out (and the ones that -I- broke) were replaced for free.

It also depends on your view of "customer service". Since I'm in that area in my company, I appreciate good customer service. I got outstanding service from Dillon. I didn't get it from Lee.

Good luck with your decision. But there is a reason why most reloaders use Big Blue (besides the pictures of the girls on the cover of the catalog <grin> ).

DblTap

------------------

"...What will you do without freedom? Will you fight?... Fight, and you may die, run and you'll live, at least a while. And dying, many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that, for just one chance, one chance, to tell our enemies, that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!!!"
Old August 2, 1999, 04:58 PM   #19
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi guys,

I had a discussion a while back with a fellow who wanted to know why his Brand X press kept breaking. I told him because it is junk and recommended a Dillon. He said he could buy some number of Brand X for the price of a Dillon and he liked the Brand X except it kept breaking. He said he would rather just keep buying Brand X.

Go figure.

Jim
Old August 4, 1999, 03:55 PM   #20
GreybeardB

I don't shoot competitive hand gun or rifle so, I load slow and precise for plinking and CCW hand gun and varmint rifle loads on a Rock Chucker.
All I've heard about Dillon is praise. They are expensive but worth it if time spent at the bench is important.
I don't own one for reasons mentioned above but, I don't think I would buy one anyway simply because I don't like the guys foul language and sleezy advertising tactics.

------------------
Ralph in In.

Old August 4, 1999, 05:45 PM   #21
Fred S

Buy Dillon.

I got the 550B 6 months ago and love it. its quality and worth the money. In the long run you will be very happy you bought it.

I've read a lot of posts on many boards and it seems that somewhere along the line many Lee owners wish they went for a Dillon. Many end up switching, and thats truely expensive.

Fred
Old August 4, 1999, 11:52 PM   #22
nwgunman

Having grown up in a gun culture family and being involved with reloading my whole life, I've seen a lot of presses, good and bad. Currently I own several but only use my Dillons (am on a semi-permanant hiatus from shotshell reloading). I like the presses, I like the company, and I'd like one of them catalog babes but I know they only exist in the cameras lens...sigh...
Old August 5, 1999, 12:25 AM   #23
Sambonator

I have the Lee 1000 progressive, and it has been great for 9mm and .357. However, I had a lot of trouble with the .357 Remington Maximum cartrige. The case autofeeder won't work with such a tall cartridge. You also have to keep the primer-feeder full all the time otherwise it won't feed sometimes... and the primer rail sometimes came apart and spilled primer all over the place if I wasn't being careful. I also had some other problems (I can't remember what it was now...)...and I do remember thinking that maybe I should have gotten the Dillon.
Yet, I found Midway's customer service to be great! They were very helpful on the phone, and promptly repaired or replaced anything that didn't work right.
If I start reloading a lot of ammo again, I'll probably get a Dillon.
Old August 5, 1999, 03:40 PM   #24
FTG-05

I've had a Dillon RL-550B since 1988 and reload 9mm, 40 S&W, .44 Mag, .223, 7.62 x 39mm, .308, 30-06 and probably one or two I've forgotten about. If you buy a Dillon, you will not regret it other than the fact that it will get you started on spending money on more reloading supplies so you can shoot more.

After being a part of TFL and AR15.com since last March, I've noticed a pattern on the answer to "which is the best reloader" question: The Dillon owners are unequivacal (sp?) in the quality of their machines. The other reloader owners almost always have some "buts" or hate them. Go do a search on both sites archives and see the history for yourself.

Dillon used to have a "no-pain" payment program where you buy a press with your Visa/MC and they bill you for four equal payments without interest etc. Call them at 1-800-762-3845 and see if they still do.

Good luck and let us know what you decided and why.

Regards,

Albin
Old August 5, 1999, 05:07 PM   #25
Mal H
Staff

Very astute observation, Albin, I think you're right. I recall a lot of but's, however's, and "the XX press works great if you don't want to ...".