The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 27, 1999, 07:58 AM   #1
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

TO ALL:
Don't rightly know if this should be posted here, but it does relate to loading etc.

What is the American conversion to the following:
5.45X39 caliber.

HJN
Old July 27, 1999, 10:08 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

I didn't think there was an American version of this round. This is the AK74 caliber. It was based on the 7.62x39 case, perfected by a group headed by Viktor Sabelnikov.
Loaded 5.45x39 ball rounds measured about 57 mm overall. They contained a 3.4 gm bullet, 25.5 mm long, comprising a two-piece core within the jacket. A small hollow tip deformed upon striking the target, allowing the bullet to topple end-over-end, increasing its destructive potential.
Good sectional density gave a flat tragectory and allowed the small-caliber projectile to pierce 5mm of steel sheet at a distance of 350m.
Above taken from Kalasnikov; Machine Pistols, Assault Rifles and Mchine-guns, 1945 To The Present. by John Walter.
Old July 27, 1999, 12:32 PM   #3
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Fal308
I had been asked to find that caliber, as it is presented in a rifle I am not familiar with. The rifle is an SSG82, by Fajas Germany. It appears to be some sort of sniper rifle, scope mounted, and looks similar to an Olympic type Free Rifle. Can you Identify with what I have presented.

Will also post this on the Institute Forum
HJN
Old July 27, 1999, 02:55 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I believe this was the then-new Soviet military rifle/cartridge first used in Afghanistan. The first cartridges were brought back by one of the writers for SOF magazine--with much crowing about beating out the CIA.

What with the new gun laws of the '80s, I doubt that any of these rifles ever got here, and I've not heard of semi-autos in this cartridge ever imported...

Possibly somebody at SOF might know of an ammo source...(?)

FWIW, Art
Old July 28, 1999, 07:10 AM   #5
bfoster

If this is formed on the 7.62X39 the "220 Russian" brass made by Lapua (available at Sinclair) is probably what you are looking for. This is an exceptionally accurate cartridge (many of the benchrrest shooters use this brass to fireform PPC cartridges from).
Old July 28, 1999, 07:49 AM   #6
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

To All:
Thanks for your replies. What has been requested by my requestor has been answered.

HJN
Old July 29, 1999, 02:53 PM   #7
Cheapo

There's a heap of stuff in AK-47.net regarding this caliber, U.S. availability of ammo, and the various post-ban not-quite-assault rifles that have been imported in very recent years.

Brass availability is apparently a booger.