The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 24, 2011, 04:07 PM   #1
showboat

Replacing bullets already installed......

I was just going over some reloads, 30-06 that I did in 1984, and I found that I used RL 22 on 165 grain bullets. After going thru my (2) reloading manuals, I see that I made a mistake and should have used RL19 instead. Now, I'm thinking about pulling the bullets and replacing them with 180 grain bullets, which is what it calls for in both my reloading manuals. Has anyone ever done this before and what, if any are the problems that I might have??
Old January 24, 2011, 04:26 PM   #2
Shoney

Showboat

WELCOME TO TFL!!!!!

I'm not clear as to WHY you think it should be RL19 instead of RL22???

You can unsuccessfully load either of these powders with either 165 and 180 gr bullets in the -06. The max load of RL22 in either 165 or 180 is a compressed load. With the compressed load it is unlikely that you can overload with RL22.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old January 24, 2011, 05:18 PM   #3
Rifleman1776

If you really want to do that get a bullet puller.
Reloaders pull all the time. Not a fun job but it will do what you want even if unnecessary.
Old January 24, 2011, 05:25 PM   #4
Doodlebugger45

I know that RL-19 is one of the "favorite" powders for 30-06. However, I also know that lots of people routinely use RL-22 for the 30-06. As long as the charge weight is appropriate, there isn't anything unsafe about it. You should at least shoot some of them to see how it works before you resort to pulling all of them.
Old January 25, 2011, 08:13 AM   #5
billnourse

When in doubt, pull them puppies and start over. I would not even save the powder. There is no way to determine for sure what powder it is and it is not worth the risk.

I had some old 30/30 reloads that I did years ago, and wasn't sure what the load was. Just pulled and reused the pimed brass and bullets and burned the powder.

Bill
Cooper 52 25/06, Cooper 52 30/06, Cooper 52 338/06Cooper 57 .17HMR, Remington VS .22/250 all left handed. Rock River Predator Persuit AR-15, 1952 Marlin 336 in 30/30. 2 Kimber 1911, Colt 1911, S&W .357 Mag, Kahr .40 and .380
Old January 27, 2011, 03:38 PM   #6
silvercorvette

I haven't pulled a lot of bullets so the hammer impact style works well for me, I think if I had to to a large amount I would buy one of the collet type pullers that mount on your press. I guess every reloader has found it necessary to pull bullets. fortunately I caught my mistakes before I had made a lot of ammo
Old January 27, 2011, 03:39 PM   #7
silvercorvette

Quote:
I had some old 30/30 reloads that I did years ago, and wasn't sure what the load was. Just pulled and reused the pimed brass and bullets and burned the powder.
I have heard the powder makes good fertilizer, just dump it in your garden.
Old January 27, 2011, 04:41 PM   #8
Slamfire

Quote:
Has anyone ever done this before and what, if any are the problems that I might have??
Welcome to the Club!

Soon you will know the joys of banging an inertial bullet puller. At least you are pulling 165 grain bullets, it gets to be a lot more fun when you try to bang out 75 grain Hornady bullets out of a .223. Those little rascals don't want to come loose at all. Joy, joy, joy.

I hope you did not load hundreds of these. I had to knock out about seven hundred 168 Match bullets out of 308 cases.

I still get a grin when thinking about all the joy I experienced in that fiasco.
Old January 28, 2011, 07:29 PM   #9
showboat

Alliant Powder Reload Recipes

Gents,

I got into the Alliant powder reload recipes sight, and found that my loads are within the 62 grains that Alliant calls for in the Alliant Recipe Manual for the 30-06, 165 grn bullet. Which means that I should be able to shoot these loads with no problem.
Since these are hot loads, I think I will save a few for a big game hunt in Alaska. I did about fifty of these rounds and may shoot out a few, just to try them out!

Thanks for your help!