The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 13, 2001, 01:20 PM   #1
Jeff, CA

It squeaks when I close the bolt (rotate it down) - the faster I close it, the louder it is. I've taken the bolt apart (thanks to somebody for the shoelace-and-dime tip), put Brownell's action lube plus on the bolt shroud threads, cocking ramp, raceways, etc, but nothing makes any difference. I can slip a piece of paper between the bolt body and the feed rails, so I know it's not touching there. There's no visible sign of rubbing anywhere. Any suggestions?

Old February 13, 2001, 02:09 PM   #2
cheapshot

I'm not an expert by any means, but it sounds like one or both locking lugs may be squeaking against the inside of your reciever. Check for galling or wear on the back of the lugs where they ride against the camming part of your reciever. Try adding a tiny dab of grease to the back of the lugs. If it still squeaks, then that's not your problem. If it does stop squeaking, take it to a competent gunsmith so he can polish the lug surfaces. The headspace will have to be inspected if he does any polishing.
Old February 13, 2001, 02:40 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Take a look at the front of the bolt for wear marks. In the Remington system, the bolt nose fits closely into the end of the barrel to provide the "three rings of steel" that Remington advertises. Rubbing at that point will be magnified by the barrel.

Jim