The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 3, 2010, 12:27 PM   #1
horseman308

gun ownership in Arlington, VA?

I'll be moving to the DC-area in a couple of months, and I'll most likely be living in Arlington. Does anyone know what the laws are specifically in Arlington? I've done some internet searches, but I can't find anything specific to that city.

Alexandria is the other likely possibility, so same question there.

I'll have:
-12 ga. Remington 11-87
-.22lr lever-action winchester
-.50 flintlock
-.44 cap-and-ball black powder revolver

Thanks.
Old May 3, 2010, 01:42 PM   #2
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Arlington, Virginia, is controlled by State law (§ 15.2-915). Go to http://www.handgunlaw.us and click on the State of Virginia (from the map) to open the pdf document on Virginia's CCW laws. There is also a link in the PDF to the Virginia Statutes, where you can find the rest of the information you may need.

In general, I don't believe that gun registration is required in the State of Virginia.
Old May 3, 2010, 01:58 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

As Al said, state law rules. The Virginia preemption law pretty much removed all local firearms laws.

A FEW still exist, but they are few and far between and I believe mainly in Hampton Roads and Richmond.

I've been in Fairfax for about 17 years now and things have gotten progressively better for Virginia gunowners.

It's been a hard slog, but we're making the liberals squeal AND proving that trusting law abiding citizens won't result in rivers of blood in the streets.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 3, 2010, 07:49 PM   #4
brickeyee

Arlington is also not a city but a county.

It is home to a LOT of very liberal folks, and they send a 'wish list' to the state legislature every year to revoke shall issue and return CHP power to the local counties & cities.

It goes nowhere every year.

Here is a link to the Virginia Code section for concealed handgun permits.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-308

Here is the preemption statute http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+15.2-915
Old May 3, 2010, 08:26 PM   #5
wally626

Quote:
§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

The exemptions set forth in § 18.2-308 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this section.
Only part of the state code, I think, that specifically applies to Arlington. Note a CPP exempts you from even this. Hunting and shooting regulations also have some locality based restrictions.

Welcome to VA and check out the VGOF and the VCDL
http://vagunforum.net/
http://www.vcdl.org/
Old May 5, 2010, 04:31 PM   #6
apr1775

While my wife and I were dating, she lived in Arlington. I actually found Arlington PD to be generally gun friendly. They were even cool with open carry. Falls Church is a different story.