The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 11, 2016, 07:42 PM   #51
Nick_C_S

Quote:
231/HP-38 , AA#2 , N-320
All three are great.

As for scorched cases: I don't really put a lot of "read" into that in terms of running clean. Especially in 45 ACP. It's a low pressure round. There's going to be blow-back on the case. Winchester White Box factory ammo (jacketed 230gn RN) - basically clean, middle of the road ammo, produces scorched cases about 3/4 of the way down.

And just for the record, I've pulled a few WWB rounds of ammo recently. They contain 5.0 grains of a propellant that looks a heck of a lot like TiteGroup. I'm not saying it's TG; but I am saying I wouldn't be one bit suprised if it's the "non-canister grade" version of it.
Old June 11, 2016, 09:36 PM   #52
Hammerhead

If you really need or want super clean, light target loads, it's do-able with Clays or N310 and plated bullets.

I ran plated 200 grain Rainier SWC's for many years with those 2 powders and they're about as clean shooting as it gets for low pressure rounds, solid accuracy too.

But you're going to need a second powder for your full power loads, like your HS-6.
Old June 12, 2016, 10:30 AM   #53
mikld

Quote:
Yes maybe I should have chose my words better . I don't really have an issue with having a dirty gun . My issue is understanding my sooty cases tell me the comb is not best for the application which is subjective as well . I think my issue is the only powders I could find when I started was relatively slow powders for my application and it's bothered me from the start .
Most (all) the causes of sooty cases I've experienced, regardless of the powder, was from loads too light for an efficient burn and not sealing the case to the chamber. I use Unique and Universal in some of my 9mm reloads, but not at low/starting levels...
Old June 12, 2016, 01:12 PM   #54
Metal god

Quote:
Most (all) the causes of sooty cases I've experienced, regardless of the powder, was from loads too light for an efficient burn and not sealing the case to the chamber.
That's my understanding as a whole as to why you get that issue regardless of cartridge . It's clear to me that with the exception of Titegroup I don't have or use a powder that can safely be loaded at a level that would achieve what I want . That's the point of my inquiry . Rather then me buying another 4 to 8 pounds of different powders and testing them all which would cost a good amount in not only the powders but the rest of the components to do so . I figured I come here and ask you all to help me narrow down the search .

I put very strict requirements as to narrow down the suggestions . I belive it worked but I still got recommendations from #3 to #53 on the two burn rate charts I check most . I'm looking now at anything in the #13 through #31 area and really concentrating on the upper 2/3 of that list as being the most likely to get me where I want to be . AS you can see I only have one of those .
https://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Burn%20R...02015-2016.pdf
http://www.gamaliel.com/images/BurnRatesnov10.pdf

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old June 13, 2016, 11:38 AM   #55
mikld

Regardless of the powder you choose, if the internal pressure generated by the powder charge is low, it won't create the case/chamber seal, and "sooting" occurs. Perhaps if you look at PSI of a specific charge rather than a specific "speed" of powder?

With a low PSI charge of BUllseye you can get soot. With a low charge of True Blue you can get soot.
Old June 13, 2016, 07:07 PM   #56
pctechdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Califo View Post
Silhouette will not get you 1000 fps with 230 grn according to Ramshot data.
Marco sorry it does in their 2015 45acp +P manual. I tested a few of the loads they listed and it does deliver those speeds.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old June 13, 2016, 07:29 PM   #57
pctechdude

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old June 13, 2016, 08:48 PM   #58
5whiskey

If you remove metering as a requirement, 700x honestly isn't a bad powder. It is pretty fast burning for heavy bullet 45, but in my experience it is pretty stable as long as you aren't pushing the limits of published loads. It does burn pretty clean (being a fast powder and all), plus it will get nearly 900 with a 230gn LRN. Probably need to slow it down a bit with JHPs.

All this plus a 14 ounce can costs about 18 bucks and will load 1k rounds...

As someone else has paid, I'm a little more fast powder minded. Short of full house loads, and HS6 works well for that so long as you're near max load. Even in medium rifle cartridges. I run reloader 10x in 223, a fairly fast powder that will not play well with heavier bullets. For full bore rifle... Slow powders with accuracy and velocity are king.
Old June 14, 2016, 07:49 AM   #59
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Oh I will and if I take out the 900fps need there are already a few that do everything else."

But you NEED Magical Unicorn Fart powder to make that 900 fps barrier!

Since you're now moderating your requirements a bit (and more reasonably), as others have noted there are quite a few powders that will now fit your needs.

My go to powder for virtually all of my handgun reloading is WW 231.

I would also be inclined to look at something like AA 5.

I've used AA 7 in 10mm and .41 Magnum and have always been impressed by it.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 30, 2017, 10:00 PM   #60
odette

I am on my last pound of MUF powder and I heard that the EPA has shut down Leprechaun Industries
Old December 3, 2017, 03:59 PM   #61
Brutus

AA#7 works great in 10mm not so much in .45ACP #5 is good in 45 but 6.0gr of 231 under a 200gr. plated bullet leaves my barrel at 850fps. Very accurate and pleasant to shoot so I don't bother playin around with my ACP anymore. Do all my experimenting in 10mm, .44mag, ,357mag and .45 Colt and even those are getting somewhat narrowed down.
Think I need a .38 Super just to make life interesting again.
Old December 3, 2017, 04:28 PM   #62
Metal god

Well this thread got raised from the dead . So I'll update . I never did buy any VV powders which I still want to do at some point . I did buy 3lbs of HP-38 and liked that so I later bought a 4lb jug of Win 231 . I still have 1.3lbs of the hp-38 . Pushing WSF pretty hard-ish almost gives me what I want . I like the HS-6 but have never been comfortable enough to push it hard enough to get rid of the sooty cases but it is a good powder with heavy for caliber/cartridge bullets . Over all I think my two best powders are Titegroup and HP-38/231 with WSF and HS-6 coming in second .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 3, 2017, 05:37 PM   #63
reddog81

I've read a handful of 45 ACP threads recently and the most consistent refomendation is Win 231/HP38. I've had success with Bullseye, but probably should load up a bunch of HP38 loads just to compare the 2. Most of my shooting is 200 grn SWCs with charges slightly above minimum loads.
Old December 3, 2017, 09:50 PM   #64
std7mag

900 fps with a 230gr bullet out of a XD compact is not fun to shoot at all.
Leaning towards unrealistic.

I'm running 185s over a charge of Red Dot to get 900 fps from my neighbors XDS. Only reason i'm pushing them that hard is to ensure expansion of the hollow points he's carrying.
Old December 3, 2017, 10:05 PM   #65
Metal god

Quote:
900 fps with a 230gr bullet out of a XD compact is not fun to shoot at all.
Leaning towards unrealistic.
Yep we worked that out earlier in the thread , not sure if you noticed but this thread is a year and a half old . I just bought the grip extensions for the XD , pretty much a full grip now and much better to shoot . It was a two finger hold with the pinky hanging there before that . It does have a 4" barrel though .

Old December 4, 2017, 03:57 PM   #66
TopMCITWS

Have enjoyed good results with VV 310. Routinely use a 230 grn jacketed RN. Lighter bullets will also work well with this fast burning powder.
Old December 4, 2017, 08:02 PM   #67
rodfac

Quote:
My go to powder for virtually all of my handgun reloading is WW 231.
Yep, but my #1 criteria is accuracy and minimal wear and tear on the gun. For that Win 231/HP38 (same powder with different labels) does nicely.

I shoot 200 gr LSWC's almost exclusively through my .45's, so I'm used to soot, and lubricant over most of the gun. I clean after a box of 50, but have run the gun up to 100 rounds without scrubbing it out.

But I'd opine, as some others here have said, that a clean burning load, that gives gilt edged accuracy, and high muzzle velocity is nigh unto impossible. With hard ball, jacketed bullets, you eliminate some of the sludge, but powder residue and primer dust will still be present....so be it...if the accuracy is there (sub-2" gps at 25 yds from a rest), I'm more than happy.

BTW, I'm not impressed with bright shinny brass, only with loads that cluster in tight little groups, and I know that the gun does not function any better with shinny cases.

Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old December 5, 2017, 12:20 AM   #68
disseminator

OK, so the thread is old but your still here so: I use vvN340 in 9mm, 40, 45 exclusively. It does all that stuff you wanted including the velocity.

vvN105 is also magical in 45 Auto Rim, 45 Colt, 454 Casull, 357 SIG, etc....

I don't like the price but a 4 pound jug lasts for a while.
Old December 5, 2017, 04:37 PM   #69
m&p45acp10+1

For clean burning light target loads Trail Boss will do it. No powder burns cleaner for low pressure loads. No soot at all. It does give up velocity though. Hi Skor 800x with hot running JHP loads is pretty clean running. Though it meters poorly. I hand weigh the loads with it. I hardly use it. I have 3/4 of a pound left from 2009.