The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 2, 2017, 08:03 PM   #26
BBarn

I believe you can install the Uniflow onto the turret press as you are thinking by use of the RCBS case activated powder drop die. However, there are a number of things to keep in mind.

1) To do case expanding in the powder drop step, you'll need expander inserts for most of the pistol calibers you are considering.

2) You may need to re-adjust the case activated powder drop die with changes in caliber (due to varying case lengths). Some reloaders buy extra powder drop dies for some calibers to eliminate the need to re-adjust ($$).

3) You will need to re-adjust the powder measure (charge) for each caliber change, which is routine anyway. Again, some reloaders chose to purchase a quick change cylinder and inserts to eliminate the need to re-adjust ($$) the powder charge.

I have not used the RCBS case activated powder drop die, but I have read that adjusting some of the expanding case activated powder drops can prove frustrating and time consuming. You may want to get input from someone who has already done exactly what you are contemplating.
Old December 2, 2017, 08:20 PM   #27
Rangerrich99

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBarn View Post
I believe you can install the Uniflow onto the turret press as you are thinking by use of the RCBS case activated powder drop die. However, there are a number of things to keep in mind.

1) To do case expanding in the powder drop step, you'll need expander inserts for most of the pistol calibers you are considering.

2) You may need to re-adjust the case activated powder drop die with changes in caliber (due to varying case lengths). Some reloaders buy extra powder drop dies for some calibers to eliminate the need to re-adjust ($$).

3) You will need to re-adjust the powder measure (charge) for each caliber change, which is routine anyway. Again, some reloaders chose to purchase a quick change cylinder and inserts to eliminate the need to re-adjust ($$) the powder charge.

I have not used the RCBS case activated powder drop die, but I have read that adjusting some of the expanding case activated powder drops can prove frustrating and time consuming. You may want to get input from someone who has already done exactly what you are contemplating.
Yeah, I'm guessing it's not going to be as easy as I think right now. Which is why I started the thread; Hoping that someone else (several hopefully) on here has already done this.
Old December 4, 2017, 02:09 PM   #28
reynolds357

Most bench rest shooters will tell you that a properly measured volumetric charge is more consistent than a weighed charge. The only charges I weigh are the larger stick powders that will not meter consistently. There are ways to meter them, but to me more trouble than its worth.
Old December 4, 2017, 05:25 PM   #29
jetinteriorguy

I use a case activated measure for all handgun ammo, 7.62x39, and .233. My AR15 shoots MOA, and my AR47 shoots under 2 MOA. And, this is using a Lee Auto Drum on both a Loadmaster and a Lee Turret press. For long range with my Savage 12FV in 6.5 CM I use a Lee PPM set low and trickle up, pretty consistently sub 1/2 MOA out to 300 yds. I haven't started pushing further out yet, I'm still tweeking my load.