The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 1, 2017, 10:21 PM   #1
junglebob

Any CCL holder from Arkansas , or Ohio church carry with permission

I understand that unlike Illinois and most states, in Arkansas and Ohio you can only carry in a church with permission. Anyone here got a "permission slip" from their church? If you are in another state that requires that "permission slip" I'd like to know if you've gotten it.
Old April 2, 2017, 01:53 PM   #2
Excoastie

When I took my CHP class (beginning of November 2016) they told us about this possibility in Louisiana.

From what I was lead to believe, it involves taking an extra course that is about 8 hours in addition to what your typical CHP holder must go through, and then there must be both a written notice and an oral one that there is someone in the congregation that could be armed.

If there are any objections, then they must be dealt with on a case by case basis.

It was stated that in the few instances that the instructor knew of, the churches in question formed a sort of 'security committee' that would have several members armed for every service just in case.

He didn't give any specifics.

I could contact your local police department and see if they can point you in the right direction. Another option would be to contact somewhere that hosts CHP classes and ask them for specifics.

Please update us with what you find out.

Exco
Old April 2, 2017, 04:53 PM   #3
junglebob

We have no such law here in Illinois. You can carry in a church unless it is posted with the state mandated CPZ sign.

I carry every Sunday as do several others in my church. I was just wondering if anyone had gotten permission from their church in either of these states. It sounds especially hard in Louisiana. My pastor is a former Marine and likes they idea of some of us being armed so if they ever passed a law like that in Illinois it might not change anything for me.

Our carry law in Illinois came about because of a lawsuit brought against the state of Illinois. One of the defendants was Mary Shepard from here in Southern Illinois. She was almost killed in her church by a man that broke into the church where she worked and beat her severely. She had 2 non-resident licenses from other states, but these did her no good in Illinois. A judge ruled that Illinois in her favor saying Illinois gave residents no way to exercise their second amendment rights outside their home. A carry law was passed after being vetoed by the governor. Some antis wanted churches on the list of places carry was prohibited, didn't happen. Mary Shepard was one of the first or the first to get an Illinois CCL.
Old April 11, 2017, 08:23 PM   #4
Handloader109

In Arkansas, church is not a place that is prohibited. Nothing in the the law prohibits you from carrying Concealed there. Quit putting out inuendo and suppositions.
Old April 11, 2017, 08:48 PM   #5
SaxonPig

At one time churches were off limits. Then the law was amended and as I understand it the church leaders must specifically OK carry in the church. So churches went from prohibited to semi prohibited.

I am not aware of any churches that have given the OK for concealed carry.
Old April 18, 2017, 01:46 PM   #6
junglebob

Handloader109, Before making my post I went to handgunlaw.us which normally has the most up to date info on gun concealed carry laws. They have the Arkansas laws and a list of prohibited places.

Under #16 it says (A)Any church or other place of worship

(B) However; this chapter does not preclude a church or other place of worship from determining who may carry a concealed handgun into the church...

Sounds to me it is prohibited unless you have "special permission". If I'm wrong please tell handgunlaw.us. A lot of people expect their info to be correct. It almost always is unless something has recently changed.
Old April 18, 2017, 07:30 PM   #7
Spats McGee
Staff

I'm The Resident Gun Lawyer in our office, and I can assure you that SaxonPig's comments are correct. I haven't checked in on handgunlaw.us in a while, but their information is usually solid.
Old April 19, 2017, 08:31 AM   #8
junglebob

SpatsMcGee, I can go along with Saxonpigs definition of carry in churches now being semi-prohibited if you want.

However Handloader109 specifically says carry in churches is not prohibited and questions the title of my thead. People believing there is no prohibition against carry in churches and doing so because of his post may find themselves in trouble. Saxonpig says he knows of no churches who have given a "permission slip".
Old April 19, 2017, 09:51 AM   #9
Mal H
Staff

Well, let's hope that folks in the future don't open this thread, read only his post ignoring all the other posts and then go away with the wrong information.
Old April 20, 2017, 05:27 AM   #10
Spats McGee
Staff

I will just add that we've got some new legislation this time around that will also affect carry in churches. I believe it's Act 562, but don't quote me on that.
Old April 20, 2017, 09:48 AM   #11
junglebob

Spats McGee, I hope that Arkansas passes legislation that makes carry legal in churches, just like here in Illinois, drop the "permission slip" and just make them post it a CPZ if they don't want carry. Churches are considered soft targets anyway. In my church several of us carry on Sundays so someone wanting to perpetrate harm could be unpleasantly surprised at the outcome.
Old April 23, 2017, 04:13 PM   #12
Gary Slider

Church carry is possible in Louisiana but they are still off limits to those who carry unless they meet certain requirements. This is posted on www.handgunlaw.us under the listing of all places off limits.

Church, Synagogue and Mosque Carry allows Church carry under the following rules.
 Churches, Synagogues and Mosques choosing to allow concealed carry will have to inform their congregations of the decision.
 Anyone wishing to carry a concealed weapon in a church will have to take an extra eight hours of tactical training each year.
 The new law does not apply to churches on school property.

In Arkansas you have to just have permission from the Church Pastor or Church Leaders.
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.

Last edited by Gary Slider; April 23, 2017 at 08:04 PM.
Old April 25, 2017, 11:11 PM   #13
hornetguy

The elders in my church here in north Texas says concealed carry is fine, but they "prefer" nobody does open carry.

No permission slips necessary.
Old May 5, 2017, 04:04 AM   #14
ROCK6

So this is an interesting topic. There's training classes I frequent south of Atlanta. The lead instructor is also the head of security of some mega church. They've approved CCW in their churches (I think there are two large campuses), if the CCW holders take his class (with a discount of course).

I'm a deacon at our church in a more rural area. The current law is just a misdemeanor with a $100 fine, if charges are filed by the church. Several of us carry concealed on Sunday and when the deacon board pursued granting CCW permission, they found out it was more of an insurance hassle than taking no stance.

Our church won't press charges if there's legal use of a firearm for one's self-defense or stopping another from committing gun violence on our church property. All other legal protections are the responsibility of the shooter. This is a win-win in my assessment. They're not giving anybody permission to carry, but they won't press charges or have any issues if you are legally carrying on their church property. This probably helps to dissuade open-carry...not that I'm against it, but CCW is more respectable to those not comfortable around firearms in their local church.

ROCK6