The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old June 5, 2012, 12:14 PM   #1
Dubler1

Spikes Tactical. Anyone seen or have opinions?

hey guys. I found the following two rifles on Spikes Tactical. I was wanting some feedback from you guys. Have you ever seen or how is the reliablity. Also, Is that an integrated sound suppressor or just a flash hider similar to what Noveski makes?

Thanks for your help,
Dub

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/...nfa-p-792.html

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/...nfa-p-491.html
Old June 5, 2012, 12:21 PM   #2
Dubler1

I just called and they are saying it is a true sound suppressor on a 8.1" barrel. They also say the decible level on the 5.56 is 134db's. What are your thoughts on this as I have never owned a suppressor.
Old June 5, 2012, 02:54 PM   #3
David Hineline

Just a guess

Just a guess as I have not seen/shot that silencer. The DB level they told you I would have doubts about as it is as low or lower than most 16" rifles with silencers larger. Reflex over the barrel silencers are designed to keep the package short, not make it super quiet, the sound come out of the barrel and for sound reduction to be the best it needs to be in front of the barrel not behind the barrel where no sound is comming out. It keeps the package short and with some type of two point mount they are rock solid on the mounting.

An 8" barrel is going to be brutal on sound and flash and destructive to the initial blast baffle. When they advertised their .223 silencer as not being full auto rated, I wondered also as most silencers designed to handle the hard use from a ahort barrel as a side effect are hard enough to handle full auto fire. Also titanium is for weight savings not hard use with a lot of heat.

From my searching on the web, the silencers are a new product for 2012 so that means no end users really have them yet.

From Spikes website discussion board the 30 cal silencer in your first link has not even finished a production run yet.

My personal opinion is that taking a short barrel and mounting a silencer to the end of that and hiding it inside a long handguard does not justify the term integral.

Now my personal preference on a shorty, sometimes you have a shorty because you want to make awful amounts of noise and flash, and integral can not give you that option. A shorty with a detatchable silencer can give you both.
Titanium is not for hard use, it is for keeping the weight down on a long range bolt action rifle.
Shoot a silenced shorty sometime the .223 silencer produces a lot of gas blowback out the ejection port, through the charge handle into the face of the operator, if you are a left handed shooter it will choke you out.
I always run a larger size 30 cal silencer on my shorty as the increased volume keeps the sound reduction about the same, but it also lessens the blowback into my face, at the cost of weight and length.

If short/light is what you want, Spikes is a good company, buy one and give us a review.
Old June 5, 2012, 03:03 PM   #4
David Hineline

Do you know the process, assuming they are legal where you are, have you found a local in state dealer, ask that dealer if the CLEO signoff is available where you live, if not your process is finished unti you decide to take it to the next level by forming a family trust or corporation for asset ownership.

If the silencer you desire is in stock then expect 6 week paperwork time to your local dealer, then expect 6-9 months from your dealer to you. You will be buying now for what you will get to use next year.

If your local dealer has inventory then that would take the first transfer time to him out of the picture.

Keep in mind that popular/best units like AAC and others when dealers goto Shot-Show they place orders that take the entire productions runs for that year, often times with the product already pre-sold to customers, so if your desire is the coolest thing on the latest cover of Law Enforcement monthly magazine, you can expect to wait a long time, or pay a high premium to get your name to the top of the list.
Old June 6, 2012, 08:11 AM   #5
Dubler1

i really appreciate your response and the reserch you did.

Yeah I kinda thought that the sound on a 8" barrel would be rather loud, even with a suppressor. The overall "package" of the rifle was what I would like to have but have not been able to come across. And I believe with that 8" barrel my distance shooting would be rather limited. I think ideally I would like a 10.5" barrel with a integral suppressor. This being said, from what you told me the suppressor needs to be mounted on the end rather than integrally. (I hope I am making sense). I was just trying to get around that if it was at all possible to help maintain the compact-ness of the rifle.

I am still on the search so if you have any ideas or direction please tell me. I dont think I want to go much shorter than 10.5" since it will be suppressed and i would like to shoot at a range of say 200 yards.

Thanks again.

P.S. Yes, I do live in a state where all this is legal and I know of at least 2 class three dealers.
Old June 6, 2012, 08:34 AM   #6
David Hineline

In my opinion an integral design is one which the silencer does not remove and the barrel ports into the silencer in more places than just the exit hole out the end.

A silencer that does not unmount is stuck on that one weapon, where as a detatchable one can hop from gun to gun getting more use.

Silencers designs that go back over the barrel rather than mount on the end are called reflex silencers not integral.
Old June 6, 2012, 01:00 PM   #7
Dubler1

O. thanks again for the info. how do u like the reflex then on the .300? Im assuming it would be worlds better than the 5.56 but is it still better to just add a can on the end of the barrel?