The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 30, 2010, 04:49 PM   #76
thesheepdog

Quote:
Wow, thesheepdog, I don't believe those are quite the safe rules we were discussing or are quite a set that I have seen before, but your variant introduces yet another problem to the equation, doesn't it? Is everyone using the same set of rules? Coopers' rules are here...http://thefiringline.com/Misc/safetyrules.html

There are the 3 NRA rules http://www.nrahq.org/education/guide.asp. Canada's rules - ACTS. Remington's 10 commandments http://www.remington.com/pages/news-...mandments.aspx . I am sure there are some other sets out there as well.

I see your rules pretty well preclude the use of many belt holsters, pocket carry, thunderwear, pagerpal ,etc. too.

The notion of never loading until you are ready to start shooting sounds like it would make a lot of armed defense fairly useless, and even if it just applies to rifles, would make many hard to use properly and effectively for patrol or for hunting.

I have never seen #4 before anywhere. I guess that would be the "everybody is a RSO" rule.
Mine are "Range Rules". Not at all self defense rules; but the OP was regarding "general safety rules".

The most important rule is "every gun is loaded, always".

Here is what constitutes a safe rifle:

1. Magazine out.

2. Bolt back and locked.

3. Safety on.

4. Chamber flag in (if on a range)

5. Rifle Grounded.

6. Nobody is touching your rifle.
Old November 30, 2010, 05:45 PM   #77
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Mine are "Range Rules". Not at all self defense rules; but the OP was regarding "general safety rules".
Okay, so your rules aren't really general safety rules, but your particular range's rules. FYI, Cooper's rules are not "self defense rules," but rules of gun safety regardless of being on the range, hunting, or at the mini mart.
Old November 30, 2010, 06:01 PM   #78
Glenn E. Meyer

I always regarded Cooper's rules as easy mnemonics devices as compared to absolutes.

They are :

1.All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2.Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy. (For those who insist that this particular gun is unloaded, see Rule 1.)
3.Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target. This is the Golden Rule. Its violation is directly responsible for about 60 percent of inadvertent discharges.
4.Identify your target, and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything that you have not positively identified.

But I view them as:

1. Don't shoot the wrong thing and here's ways you can do it.

a. You forget the gun is loaded and pull the trigger
b. You pointed it at something you shouldn't shoot but you pulled the trigger
c. You accidentally or stupidly pulled the trigger at the wrong time.
d. You shot the wrong thing as you didn't know what you were shooting at you shot the right thing but your round zipped through it.
Old November 30, 2010, 06:11 PM   #79
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
But I just knew that door was open...

Shouldn't have done such a good job windexing it the day before.
Personally, I'm bettin' 2 crows shut it.
Old December 4, 2010, 06:56 AM   #80
Brit

In each case of an inadvertent shot causing death or injury, it seems the two huge causes, irrespective of the NRA excellent published safety rules.

Are safe direction, pressing the trigger!

The incredible Safety record of the two biggest action sports with firearms, USPSA/IPSC & IDPA are based on simplicity, the pistol stays in the holster, till you come under the direction of a RO/SO. Millions of rounds go down range during these competitions, shooters run all over the range (The younger ones at high speed!) with the loaded pistol held in the hand... SAFE DIRECTION and FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER TILL TARGET ACQUIRED!

Following these simple directions, tends to keep bullets out of body's!

A very experienced shooter was DQd from the World Shoot of IPSC in Florida in Orlando, 1986? I watched this competitor insert a loaded magazine in to a holstered Colt 45, the gun fired! He was later allowed to continue, but lost that stage, when a Gun Smith was able to duplicate that firing, grit on the magazine bypassed both the thumb safety, and the grip safety, it caused the trigger to be moved internally.
Old December 4, 2010, 07:11 AM   #81
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
In each case of an inadvertent shot causing death or injury, it seems the two huge causes, irrespective of the NRA excellent published safety rules.

Are safe direction, pressing the trigger!
IPSC and IDPA seem to fail the "safe direction" with alarming consistency. There is simply no way for a shooter to actually know a direction is safe when the shooter points his/her gun over the berms and backstops.
Old December 5, 2010, 03:23 AM   #82
Eagle0711

These rules cannot be over emphasised. It's easy to get complacent. I admit to having two NDs in almost 50 years of shooting. No one was even close to beind hurt, but it was MY FAULT. Strangely enough it was 1911s both times. Not the guns fault.

I know of some famous gun folks who have had NDs. Please don't think that it can't happen to you.