The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 19, 2000, 08:15 AM   #26
mussi

Europeans?

Actually, I might be the first Swiss to join TFL, but I might not be
the first person from Europe. Gunter has fewer posts, at any rate, so
we're still puzzling out.

As I can't search the member database for any users with European TLD
email addresses, I won't be able to find out. ;(

But then, even I'm a newcomer compared to the 'old dogs' here.
Old November 19, 2000, 11:32 AM   #27
Greg L

Goodness,

I just realized that Friday was my anniversary (at least of registering, I lurked for a few months before that). Oh well, at least I managed to drink one of my remaining two Shiner's on Friday (for those of us in the north, Michelob's Amber Boch is a fairly close substitute). Thanks for the trip down memory lane. While I may not post a whole lot, I am here every day and have come to consider you all "family". (now if I could only come up with a way to credit all the hours here towards "continuing education" I would be all set ).

Greg
Old November 19, 2000, 12:13 PM   #28
Grayfox

Well, I guess I fall into the "Ol' Fart" catagory as well. I remember all the stuff that's been mentioned and then some. I think we had around 500 members when I joined. I remember when we had actual conversations going between members without 20 posts between one's remark and the other's answer. I remember starting goofy off the wall threads just so we'd have something to talk about. I remember when the whole idea of closing a thread for length was unthinkable. I remember FOUP and was a charter contributor to the cause. I remember Kodiac, Cornered Rat, don't upset the wookie! and the sage warm words of Master Mac. And I remember when Rich dubbed me as TFL's official "Curmudgeon member"
But one of my best memories was laying in a hospital bed while my wife read pages and pages of well wishes from people I'd never met, but was happy to call friends.
Old November 19, 2000, 01:12 PM   #29
Ed Brunner

I knew Grayfox was an Old Timer and I personally think he richly deserves his honorary title.
This board has grown by leaps and bounds and I would imagine that even Rich is surprised, but if you build it they will come. In my not-so-humble expert opinion the major reason for its success is the expertise and enthusiasm of its members and their universal dedication to RKBA. I personally want to thank Rich for making all this possible as well as the Moderators for keeping it between the ditches.

UNTIL IT'S OVER!

Ed
Old November 19, 2000, 03:52 PM   #30
boing

I remember the original log-on page (mountain scene), and the beloved Machinegun Logo.
Old November 19, 2000, 04:44 PM   #31
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

The Mountian Camp!

LOL
I remember that too...

Rich...
You gotta bring back the Camp and the old FN logo... Just for a bit...Just for the good old times!
Old November 19, 2000, 05:30 PM   #32
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Wow-
The camp and the FN. A cursory search tells me I've discarded these. I will do a complete search.
Rich
Old November 19, 2000, 06:28 PM   #33
Gunslinger

I suppose.....*sigh*... alas I to would be considered some what of an old fart myself. There are worse titles a man could have.

Old November 19, 2000, 06:32 PM   #34
USP45usp

I don't remember

The first time that I got here. All I know is that I was mainly on the Shooters.com board but was getting bored with the format, the flame wars, the homophobic remarks, and the sense that it wasn't a "family" of any sort. I think I did a search and just clicked and clacked until I ended up here. Got to "meet" allot of good people, sorry I wasn't here to meet some of the others.

USP45usp
Old November 19, 2000, 10:48 PM   #35
4V50 Gary
Staff

I fondly remember the FN-MAG logo too and...

how I called it "The gun" and pouted and wailed when Rich took it away! I also remember when the Coffee Pot served as the forum for both the General Discussion & Legal and Political forums. And talking about old times, how about that Aussie who advertised recreating silenced DeLisle carbines and offering to sell them here in our Marketplace? Boy, we've come a long way.

Now Rich, can I have the "Gun" back?
Old November 19, 2000, 11:28 PM   #36
Correia

I remember the camp and the mag. I don't know if I could get the FN to look good on a t-shirt though.
Old November 20, 2000, 12:48 AM   #37
Grayfox

One more thing. I remember when you could read every new post in every forum in less than an hour! WHOA! that was a while back.
Old November 20, 2000, 01:57 AM   #38
Bud Helms

It's threads like this that make me feel young again.
Old November 20, 2000, 05:14 PM   #39
Gino

All I have to do is look in the safe, excuse me, the TWO safes to remember this place. You guys have gotten me to buy a few guns .

The first gun I bought just because of all of your recommendations is my CZ 75B. And because of you guys, my next just might be a P7M8. I won't go into the ones inbetween... (like the P225, the Colt 1911, the...)

You might not want to stop by the house, my girlfriend is REALLY mad at you all.
Old November 20, 2000, 05:20 PM   #40
Dennis
Staff Emeritus

Gino,

You're a wizard getting her to believe its TFLers' fault. All the same, I wouldn't go boat ridin' with her out in the swamps - if you get my drift!
Old November 20, 2000, 05:46 PM   #41
Country Boy

I smile whenever I think of Gunslinger's mannequin. How is 'Gertie' doing?
Old November 20, 2000, 09:34 PM   #42
JJB

Looking through this thread I am amazed at how much of this I was here to live through. I am surprised at how close to the beginning I first stumbled on TFL. I lurked for a few days and then registered. The first firearms forum that I did register on. I had only been shooting about a year at the time and was looking for good information and a friendly place. And, I think I found it. I have noticed some of the recent changes that go with growth but still find this a most civilized place to be, especially when I ignore the trolls.
I remember the big deal when we got to 1776 members. I remember the name changes and the arrival and growth of some of our current staff.
What I do not remember, since I wasn't able to check in most of last week, is the shut down. Just heard about it on an email forum.
Rich, you've keep a great place. (And how did the memory upgrade go this evening?)

Old November 20, 2000, 10:37 PM   #43
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Jim-
No go. We need to build a new server....expect it to be in typical TFL style; a barnburner! In the meantime, we've located one with the necessary capabilities as a loaner. Brian just needs to find the time, when not trying to feed his family, to set it up and load it with the necessary software. This is hardly like installing Microsoft Office.

It's kinda discouraging. We thought we'd planned this move so well. We knew there's be potholes but we never expected to run into a memory wall. (Our motherboard, won't accept any more ram). I'm still commited to the database and software, but everyone involved has pushed so hard. Not sure how much more we can ask on a "yesterday" basis.

Tomorrow's another day.
Rich
Old November 20, 2000, 10:48 PM   #44
Steve Smith

Man! You guys get me all misty-eyed thinking back to the "old days!" The coffee pot...whew!, I forgot about that! Well, here I am, sitting at over 1K posts, and I'm going to change my username. No one will know me! Oh well, things could be worse. I could go to Central America and call myself "Chico." No one would know me there either!
Old November 20, 2000, 11:25 PM   #45
*Cag

I remember the old days. I remember when Gale was around, and a card was sent with all the sympathies to the family. I also remember posting here for some time. Then one day I couldn't get in. I had to get a new handle. I used the same one I had with an asterik in front of the handle. I was told that there was another member with my handle. The other member was probably me. Anyways I re registered and put me as a rookie. Outside of that, it has always been pleasant to participate here, and with more to come.

Best of luck....Cag
Old November 21, 2000, 03:34 PM   #46
416Rigby

I remember......

When I first found out that DC was a woman!

When I discovered that Dennis was not 19 years old !

When Art Eatman honored me with his first reply on the Art of the Rifle board!

When I got out of bed and, scratching my head, thought "...am I becoming a Libertarian?..."

When all of you guys sent me your prayers and good thoughts after my Church (Wedgwood Baptist) was shot up.

When my boss first caught me goofing off on TFL.....

And when I got my boss and a co-worker to join!
Old November 22, 2000, 12:06 PM   #47
Long Path

Yes, I remember....

• Art correcting my math (civil engineers can do that, y'know...).
  • Stepping between Rob and a lotta individual folks who wanted to decry cops as an institution, just as they were were "taking off their jackets"...
  • Reading all the new posts during my once-a-day 30-minute lunch break!!!
  • Having Gale tell me that I'd just made his day with my first email to him telling him how much I admired him.
  • Sending off cards and hopes to several of our members, but I think Grayfox, Lawdog, and Gale were the first for me...
  • Welcoming a new pup named Gwinnydapooh
  • Thinking what a pain Cornered Rat was becoming (now a week rarely goes by that I'm not emailing him sumpin' or 'n'other...)
  • Wondering how in the heck people got their text to italics and bold, and how to send images and make links with my own words representing them. Being afraid Rich would call me a weenie for asking, then asking for other helps, anyway. He never called me a weenie... to my face!
  • Realizing for the first time that I hadn't just seen Dennis on a "good day"; that THAT was (and remains) the way he actually is!
  • Being linked here by my friend, Stephen A. Camp, who still posts here by that name, back in late March of '99.
  • Looking around and realizing that I only THOUGHT I knew about guns. Also realizing that I didn't need to resubscribe to any gun magazines.
  • Making my first suggestion to Rich about the board, and being pleasantly amazed at how willing he was to instantly make the adjustment. (He added the [Four Rules of] Firarms Safety link that you find at the top of every page.)

There's a lot more...
L.P.

Old November 22, 2000, 02:49 PM   #48
Mike in VA

Hmmmmmm-

They say the mind's the second thing to go, but I ferget the first . . . Actually, I remember most of the above. Like several others, I found my way in from Shooters, and found the knowledge sharing, civility, and commaraderie to be soooo refreshing. I've learned tons, laughed a lot, made some firends I've not yet met IRL (and a few I have). I'll never forget the huge amount of support we got when my wife had the brain tumor (literally from Oz to Norway and everywhere n between) and the offline encouragement from LadyDeeJ, Dennis, George, Spectre and so many others. Really looking forward to whatever's next. Pax, M2
Old January 8, 2013, 01:30 AM   #49
Rob Pincus

Felt Nostalgic... went searching... Found this.

GREAT Thread. The good 'ol days...
Old January 8, 2013, 01:40 AM   #50
DaleA

Let me thank all the mods and staff for keeping the discussion civil and on point.

You undoubtedly take a lot more flak than most of us realize.

Once again, thanks.