The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 1, 2018, 07:01 AM   #1
unclejack37

Ruger Magnum Hand Guns

I now own 2 Ruger magnum revolvers. A Ruger .357 Police service six and a .44 magnum Super Blackhawk. Both of these revolvers seem to have small size grips from the factory. I've replaced the grips on the 357 with Hogue Rubber 1 piece grips and it is a pleasure to shoot mag loads. I just got the Blackhawk and just ordered new rubber hand grips for it. I hope for the same results for the Blackhawk. Anyone else have a problem with the factory grips on Ruger magnum revolvers? I also own a Ruger Mark lll 22/45 it's not a magnum but the grips are perfect for me and I can shoot that all day long
Old September 1, 2018, 07:12 AM   #2
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclejack37 View Post
I now own 2 Ruger magnum revolvers. A Ruger .357 Police service six and a .44 magnum Super Blackhawk. Both of these revolvers seem to have small size grips from the factory. I've replaced the grips on the 357 with Hogue Rubber 1 piece grips and it is a pleasure to shoot mag loads. I just got the Blackhawk and just ordered new rubber hand grips for it. I hope for the same results for the Blackhawk. Anyone else have a problem with the factory grips on Ruger magnum revolvers? I also own a Ruger Mark lll 22/45 it's not a magnum but the grips are perfect for me and I can shoot that all day long

I find Ruger Grips to be less than ideal for control and comfort.

I have a Ruger Toklat 454, Alaskan 454, SRH 454 7.5ā€, SRH 9.5ā€ 44.

I always get aftermarket grips.

I have since gotten rid of the GP-100 revolvers since I prefer S&W for 357 Magnum. I shoot my 4x and above Magnums more than my 357s, at the moment. Iā€™m a recoil junky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old September 1, 2018, 07:12 AM   #3
CajunBass

"Back in the day" we used to half joke that when Ruger went into business, they bought one tree to use for making grips...and they were still using it.

I believe they put the smallest, least expensive grips they could on their handguns, because they figured most people were going to change them anyway. A self-fulfilling prophecy.

But they're not the only ones. Smith & Wesson, and Colt put smallish grips on their guns for I suspect the same reason.

So, yes. I've always had problems with most factory grips. A Tyler or BK grip adapter helps with most D/A revolvers, but I had to change most S/A grips to Pachmayr's. I'd save the wood ones for show.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old September 1, 2018, 07:23 AM   #4
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
"Back in the day" we used to half joke that when Ruger went into business, they bought one tree to use for making grips...and they were still using it.

I believe they put the smallest, least expensive grips they could on their handguns, because they figured most people were going to change them anyway. A self-fulfilling prophecy.

But they're not the only ones. Smith & Wesson, and Colt put smallish grips on their guns for I suspect the same reason.

So, yes. I've always had problems with most factory grips. A Tyler or BK grip adapter helps with most D/A revolvers, but I had to change most S/A grips to Pachmayr's. I'd save the wood ones for show.

True. The S&W grips, especially the PC, have such smallish wood grips that are impractical, also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old September 1, 2018, 07:50 AM   #5
22-rimfire

I also generally put new grips on most of my revolvers I shoot. But I do like the GP-100 grips with the insert. But you sell a gun and everyone wants the original grips.... I like rubber pachmayrs generally.
Old September 1, 2018, 12:21 PM   #6
rclark

I prefer wood grips on my SAs. Rubber is for baby buggy bumpers . I like a certain style though, so most of mine have custom, fitted grip panels. Each to their own. Personal preference.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old September 1, 2018, 12:38 PM   #7
Buckeye!

My Ruger Security Six is my favorite 357 Mag
Old September 1, 2018, 02:43 PM   #8
DaleA

At one time every handgun I looked at I also checked out the Pachmayr catalog to see what grips I'd get for it. I even put a set of Pachmayr grips on a Ruger single action revolver which caused my uncle to almost disown me but it sure shot nicer in my hands.

Now days I see a lot of people going with Hogue grips. I've handled a few and IMhO I'd say they're probably just as good as the Pachmayr grips.
Old September 1, 2018, 10:40 PM   #9
Targa

Yes, I found the grips on my SBH a bit on the small side. As much as I hated replacing the look of the wood grips I went with Pachmayrs. No more knuckle slap and much nicer to shoot.
Old September 2, 2018, 01:30 AM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Or, maybe, instead of doing it because it cost a little less in materials, maybe they did it, and do it, so that people with smaller hands can use their guns.

While it is a fairly simple matter to increase the size of the grips with replacements, making the grip smaller runs into trouble because you can't easily get smaller than the grip frame allows. SO, you use a small-ish grip frame, put on small(er) grips, and you're set for people with smaller hands, and people with larger hands have the option to use as is, or increase the size with aftermarket grips.

I put rubber (pachmayr) grips on all my serious revolvers, Ruger Blackhawks, Super Blackhawk, and S&Ws. Even my pocket Colt Agent has rubber grips. Don't get me wrong, I like wood, and have several wood gripped guns, just not the ones with heavy recoil, or where I feel its useful.

I have not tried any Hogue "soft" grips, I did get a Blackhawk with a set of the "hard" ones. While I liked the style, I didn't like the hard plastic, the pebble finish didn't do anything for me.

There are .44 Mag Blackhawks, though uncommon, and there is the Super Blackhawk .44 Mag which is common. The grip frame of the Super Blackhawk is usually NOT the same as the grip frame of the Blackhawk, and the grips are not interchangeable. Make sure which you have before ordering grips. (and be prepared for them to send you the wrong ones, )
Old September 2, 2018, 02:26 AM   #11
Ben Dover

I put Pachmayr grips on my Rugers as soon as I get them.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old September 2, 2018, 08:01 AM   #12
Armybrat

I like the original compact grips on both my SPs and the factory wood stocks on my old Service Six.
Old September 2, 2018, 10:28 AM   #13
buck460XVR

In the long run, I think it came down to cosmetics and marketing. Guns just look better with small grips. Small grips feel better in your hands when you first pick the gun up as opposed to how they feel once you buy the gun and get to shoot it. Once you shoot it and realize the stock grip are terrible, you get on the Ruger Website and look for something else to buy. The small amount of wood needed for making a slightly larger grip is not the deciding factor.
Old September 2, 2018, 11:46 AM   #14
T. O'Heir

Ruger makes grips frames that isn't a frame. They make their stuff to fit people with normal sized hands. That means you can change the grips with no fuss if your hands are over sized. None of it has anything to do magnum cartridges though. It's about the fit.
Old September 2, 2018, 12:10 PM   #15
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleA View Post
At one time every handgun I looked at I also checked out the Pachmayr catalog to see what grips I'd get for it. I even put a set of Pachmayr grips on a Ruger single action revolver which caused my uncle to almost disown me but it sure shot nicer in my hands.

Now days I see a lot of people going with Hogue grips. I've handled a few and IMhO I'd say they're probably just as good as the Pachmayr grips.
Everyone has their preferences. Every time I've tried one of the Hogue soft rubber grips (and I've tried them on 4 quite different guns), I've taken them off and gone with something else.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old September 2, 2018, 06:58 PM   #16
Waspinator

I don't know. I actually prefer my SP101 grips over the Hogue version for that gun. So many people wrote that the Hogue was so much better for .357 mag shooting. I found the opposite.. for me, the more pronounced rounded back of the Hogue would cause the gun to rise up more during shooting and jamming my web of my hand. The stock grips, though, were very comfortable and absorbed the shock of the magnums much better for me. Goes to show that Ruger has it right for some people.
Old September 3, 2018, 12:46 PM   #17
hdbiker

I have Pachmayr Presintation grips on my Single Six .22 convertable, my Blackhawk .357 and my Super Blackhawk .44. I think their great !!! hdbiker
Old September 3, 2018, 01:19 PM   #18
TruthTellers

I have the Redhawk .45 Colt/ACP with the round butt grip. It's shootable, but I've never liked that grip and Ruger has been putting that style on a lot of their shorter barrel Redhawks lately, yet they've not offered any spare grips for them, not even the rubber overmold grips that I want so I can shoot hotter .45 Colt better.

And to my knowledge, nobody else makes grips for the round butt Redhawks.
Old September 3, 2018, 04:48 PM   #19
357 Terms

My Blackhawk will never get rubber grips, that big 357 just rolls in my hand, even with my fire breathing hunting rounds.
Now, my GP 100's and my sp101 do have rubber, so did my Service six.
My N-frame Smiths wear wood also, for me the bigger the platform the more forgiving, except for my Alaskan, that lil bastard still has rubber, I've tried wood, but never again!!!
Old September 6, 2018, 03:39 PM   #20
Model12Win

Those putting rubbers on their guns are missing out on the rolling action mentioned above. Proper wood will roll nicely in the hand.
Old September 6, 2018, 06:24 PM   #21
Targa

There two things I am missing out on by putting rubber grips on my SBH. The beautiful look of the wood grips and the irritating knuckle slap do to those little plow handle wood grips in my comically large hands. As for my Bisley .454, no need to change those pretty wood grips do to the design and size of them.
.357ā€™s, not even hot ones, recoil as hard as a .44 mag in a similarly sized firearm.

Last edited by Targa; September 6, 2018 at 06:29 PM.
Old September 6, 2018, 06:56 PM   #22
Bayou

Here's how much I like Ruger factory grips:

First, a 1979 vintage Security Six:

Second, a 1984 vintage RH in 357:

The factory grips were the first to go.

Bayou

Bayou
NRA Life Member
"Keep Calm and Reload"

Last edited by Bayou; September 6, 2018 at 09:06 PM.
Old September 6, 2018, 08:21 PM   #23
Dufus

My screen ain't big enough to see them.
Old September 6, 2018, 09:05 PM   #24
Bayou

^^^ Thanks, looks like it's been corrected.

Bayou

Bayou
NRA Life Member
"Keep Calm and Reload"
Old September 7, 2018, 06:57 AM   #25
fourbore

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclejack37 View Post
I have not read the following 23 posts. I will say YES, exactly my experience. I use the Pachmayr grips. Discontinued but; still available NOS can be found. Much better attachment and very comfortable.