The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 9, 2018, 02:03 PM   #51
F. Guffey

Quote:
0.0015" convex case head by itself isn't much. I was hoping it would reflect something more consistent with how far your primers are protruding.
I have upset case heads .010" meaning the case head shortened from the top of the cup above the web to the case head .010" and then it turns into one of those things a reloader can do nothing about; at the same time the case head shortened and increased in diameter. If the bolt face was concaved when fired the case would have trouble standing up straight. A North Texas shooter hammered a case head so hard the smith that dug the case out of the chamber could not read the head stamp.

And then there were all of those sweaters, they were making wild guesses about how long the bullet was when it left the barrel. The North Texas shooter purchased 308 W ammo for a 25/06 chamber, that would be for a rifle he did not own.

F. Guffey
Old January 9, 2018, 02:06 PM   #52
Yosemite Steve

The center of the bolt face being .005 to .006 deep does account for part of the primer pooching out. I had three primers leak a while back and they did go a bit too easy when pressing them in. Each time left a little hole in the bolt face. I ordered a spring too. The gun smith i had brought it to before discounted the need for a spring as well as that the bolt face is concave. I did called about getting a bolt kit and firing pin spring. I don't think he wants any more work.

Last edited by Yosemite Steve; January 10, 2018 at 07:09 AM.
Old January 10, 2018, 10:05 AM   #53
F. Guffey

Quote:
The center of the bolt face being .005 to .006 deep does account for part of the primer pooching out. I had three primers leak a while back and they did go a bit too easy when pressing them in. Each time left a little hole in the bolt face. I ordered a spring too. The gun smith i had brought it to before discounted the need for a spring as well as that the bolt face is concave. I did called about getting a bolt kit and firing pin spring. I don't think he wants any more work.
It would have helped had you started with the whole story. I got suspicious when you came out with "BINGO! We have a winner.

F. Guffey
Old January 10, 2018, 10:32 AM   #54
Yosemite Steve

Why? He nailed it. The bolt face is concave. I called the gunsmith about the bolt face afterwards.
Old January 10, 2018, 10:33 AM   #55
Yosemite Steve

Did you think i knew that and was holding back?
Old January 10, 2018, 01:11 PM   #56
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Steve View Post
I'm estimating that this gun has about 1800 rounds at most fired through it. The only time it has key holed was when I tried loading some ammo under starting load to try mag primers. I took the suggestion to start at 10% less for mag primers and applied it to a starting load. Close to MOA is good enough for me. But I will always try to make em better!
Ya probably already herd about this. Don't start 10% under the starting load! Start 10% under the max load.
Old January 11, 2018, 09:03 AM   #57
F. Guffey

Quote:
Did you think i knew that and was holding back?
I do not know what your knew when you knew it. as Don Fisher suggested reduced laods are cute but there was a member that feed his 257 Wieatherby a steady diet of reduced load and then? Suddenly and without warning his rifle swarmed on him. There was not one bent piece of metal, there were nothing but straight line fractures.

Everyone but me decided it 'must have been a double charge'.

F. Guffey

Tags
head space , pushed out primer