The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 22, 2013, 09:14 PM   #1
Roland Thunder

Car carry in Ohio

I am going to be traveling this weekend from Georgia and Ohio is my final destination. I have a Georgia CCW but I know Ohio does not reciprocate with GA. I will be driving an SUV with no trunk (has a hatchback) or place I can store my handgun where I have to get out of the car to get to it. How should I transport it legally

I've already read the carry car laws for Ohio and am unclear so please don't refer me to that. In short, what, in plain English, are the requirements for car carrying in OH without a CCW.
Old August 22, 2013, 09:21 PM   #2
ClydeFrog

travel....

I'd look at www.gunlawguide.com www.knifelawsonline.com www.handgunlaw.us or maybe contact the Ohio State Patrol HQ & get the LE agency's input.
Carry agreements between AGs and states change often. Check the status before any big trips.

Follow the rules & traffic laws too. Some LE officers may not be well versed in carry or gun laws & be very picky.
Old August 22, 2013, 09:23 PM   #3
power5

Unloaded and out of reach. Does not have to be in trunk. Hatch of SUV is fine.
Old August 22, 2013, 09:46 PM   #4
Roland Thunder

how about the ammo, gun in hatch and ammo in glove box?
Old August 22, 2013, 10:33 PM   #5
DLeeHarley

Hey Greg

Not to sound crass or anything bud, but I would check out the laws myself if I were you as none of the people in here will go to Jail with you should they be mistaken or just plain wrong on their view of the laws. You really don't know who anyone is online and although I'd bet 99.999% of the people in here are sincere, do YOU want to risk your a$$ on someone you are not sure of? When ever I try and help others I'll include a link or links to the information. Good luck on your trip to Ohio and Keep your Powder Dry! Later,

Those who Talk, Don't do.
Those who Do, Don't Talk!
Old August 22, 2013, 11:15 PM   #6
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by handgunlaw.us
It is illegal to carry a loaded firearm in any vehicle without a valid Permit/License.
First, lets start here. As has been suggested, you cannot carry a loaded firearm in your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Code from handgunlaw.us
Sec. 2923.16. (K) (This law does not take effect until 3/27/13)
(5)(a) "Unloaded" means with respect to a firearm other than a firearm described in division (K)(6) of this section, that no ammunition is in the firearm in question, no magazine or speed loader containing ammunition is inserted into the firearm in question and one of the following applies:
(i) There is no ammunition in a magazine or speed loader that is in the vehicle in question and that may be used with the firearm in question.
(ii) Any magazine or speed loader that contains ammunition and that may be used with the firearm in question is stored in a compartment within the vehicle in question that cannot be accessed without leaving the vehicle or is stored in a container that provides complete and separate enclosure.(b) For the purposes of division (K)(5)(a)(ii) of this section, a "container that provides complete and separate enclosure" includes, but is not limited to, any of the followingi) A package, box, or case with multiple compartments, as long as the loaded magazine or speed loader and the firearm in question either are in separate compartments within the package, box, or case, or, if they are in the same compartment, the magazine or speed loader is contained within a separate enclosure in that compartment that does not contain the firearm and that closes using a snap, button, buckle, zipper, hook and loop closing mechanism, or other fastener that must be opened to access the contents or the firearm is contained within a separate enclosure of that nature in that compartment that does not contain the magazine or speed loader;
(ii) A pocket or other enclosure on the person of the person in question that closes using a snap, button, buckle, zipper, hook and loop closing mechanism, or other fastener that must be opened to access the contents.
For those with ADHD, this means that any ammunition or loaded magazines must be kept in a seperate container that closes completely- be it a lock box, care saf, or a glove box.

Now, that's Ohio Law. Note that there is nothing here about keeping the firearm away from you as the driver.

That said, were it me, I would keep the weapon locked in a car safe under my seat, with magazines in the glove box. Please also be aware of the laws concerning your duty to notify, and the laws around it.

Clyde gave you some great resources, and I personally reccomend handgunlaw.us, as the guy who helps keep that up to date is a member here at TFL.
Old August 23, 2013, 06:10 AM   #7
Roland Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLeeHarley
Not to sound crass or anything bud, but I would check out the laws myself if I were you as none of the people in here will go to Jail with you should they be mistaken or just plain wrong on their view of the laws. You really don't know who anyone is online and although I'd bet 99.999% of the people in here are sincere, do YOU want to risk your a$$ on someone you are not sure of? When ever I try and help others I'll include a link or links to the information. Good luck on your trip to Ohio and Keep your Powder Dry! Later,
Point well taken
Old August 23, 2013, 06:59 AM   #8
shortwave

Quote:
Some LE officers may not be well versed in carry or gun laws & be very picky.
You'll notice the law that JimmyR posted went into effect 3/27/2013. These are most likely current but would be advisable to check law status the day you leave...

...and it may be to your benefit too, if possible, before leaving for your trip to Ohio that you print off a copy of the latest laws and have them with you for the outdated LEO.

Isn't this gun law 'BINGO' fun???
Think what confusion it cause's for the LEO's.
Old August 23, 2013, 07:00 AM   #9
2ndsojourn

It's not just Ohio laws you need to consider, but also the laws of the states you'll be traveling through. If any of the states you're going through don't have a recipricol agreement with your home state, you'd be best to have a lockable case in the cargo area, and keep the ammo separate.
Old August 23, 2013, 08:54 AM   #10
pilpens

no CCW license in OHIO. Gun must be in a container that cannot be reach from inside the car. Ammo must be in a separate container.

========= Always better to check the law.. See the following:

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/F...ws-Manual.aspx
Old August 23, 2013, 09:11 AM   #11
Willie Lowman

In plain English?

The gun must be in a case out of your reach.

The ammo (loaded magazines/speed loaders) must be in a separate case from the gun.

The cases must have some kind of latch or lock or zipper or clasp to hold them shut.
Old August 23, 2013, 10:00 AM   #12
cas700850

Safest course of action with respect to the laws only:
1. Unloaded handgun in the back, in a locked case/container.
2. Ammunition in a separate container.

I know that this makes the handgun useless for defensive purposes, but it is the safest way to ensure you are in compliance with the law, and also gives you the best chance to avoid court time if you end up dealing with an LEO.
Old August 23, 2013, 11:02 AM   #13
Dan-O

Looks like Ohio honors Utah and Florida. Too bad you don't have a non-resident permit from one of those states.
Old August 23, 2013, 01:48 PM   #14
Armorer-at-Law

Quote:
Safest course of action with respect to the laws only:
1. Unloaded handgun in the back, in a locked case/container.
2. Ammunition in a separate container.

I know that this makes the handgun useless for defensive purposes, but it is the safest way to ensure you are in compliance with the law, and also gives you the best chance to avoid court time if you end up dealing with an LEO.
Ditto. If unloaded and locked, you will not have any issue here. Ohio's gun laws are not the best in the country, but they are far from the worst. It would be great if OH and GA had reciprocity, but they do not right now.
Old August 24, 2013, 10:15 PM   #15
hermannr

OH recognized unlicensed Open Carry.. However:

Ohio is a traditional open carry state. Recently, the Ohio legislature passed HB-12 over Governor Taft’s veto, thus preempting all local open carry bans even in Ohio’s “home rule” localities. Unfortunately, despite passage of HB-12, a permit to conceal is still required to openly carry a handgun in a vehicle.

OCDO writeup on Ohio. www.opencarry.org for more links...just select Ohio (or whatever state you are interested in). OCDO has lots of links to the state's law, just like handgunlaw.us as lots of links.
Old August 24, 2013, 10:32 PM   #16
ClydeFrog

post #8, state gun laws, carry licenses....

Post #8 is 100% correct.
In my state, the Div of Licensing cut LE training requirements & in service mandated updates in 2009(budget cuts/lack of funds).
My major city's PD(800 sworn personnel approx) has the wrong information on its public website, re; how to obtain a concealed carry license.

I also talked to a patrol officer in the same PD around 2011 who informed me that; "body armor & bullet proof vests are illegal in the state!

Really?
What law or ordinance says that? Can patrol officers explain how citizens with 0 criminal records or those who buy vests(which are called bullet resistant not bullet proof BTW) can get these items?
Old August 24, 2013, 10:49 PM   #17
johnwilliamson062

If you pack it to meet federal requirements for transport it will meet Ohio law.