The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 29, 2013, 01:28 PM   #1
wyobohunter

Suggest an air rifle

-I really want one that is accurate (who doesn't?).

-A decent trigger would be a plus (shot my nephews Gamo and trigger was crappy).

-.177 cal for pellet availability; I'm o ly getting for small game/plinking in hunting camp and pest control around the home.

-quiet would be a plus, though I think a standard model is pretty quiet anyway.

-don't care about a scope. So long as the open sights are quality.

-would like to spend less than $200

The Gamo had everything going for it except it comes with a crappy scope I'd rather not pay for and the trigger sucked.

One more thing: I'm a lefty so it either needs to be ambi or LH specific.

Thanks!
Old April 29, 2013, 01:52 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

I am LH also, and I like my RWS Model 34
Old April 29, 2013, 05:26 PM   #3
wyobohunter

Suggest an air rifle

How about the Stoeger X-20?
Just stopped by a sporting goods store and they let me try triggers. The X-20 had the best trigger out of the ones I tried, the price is right. They wouldn't let me shoot it in the archery range though so the only thing I don't know about is the accuracy.
Old April 29, 2013, 05:32 PM   #4
hodaka

I shot a Benjamin pump for years. I like it but I bought an RWS 34 a few years ago and like it better. I put a 2X Tasco that was in the bottom of the miscelaneous box on it and grackles and starlings are catching hell.
Old April 29, 2013, 10:50 PM   #5
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Go to PyramyAir.com and they can help with videos, info and products.

I'd just say, don't buy one of the RWS Diana side cockers unless you are willing to deal with a very heavy rifle.

Had a.22 and it shot great, but was very heavy.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Old April 30, 2013, 12:09 AM   #6
wyobohunter

Suggest an air rifle

Thanks crusty. I'm new to air rifles (you could prolly tell). My impulse was to buy the first one that strikes my fancy.
Old April 30, 2013, 10:28 AM   #7
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Getting started with air guns can be a mind streach, and there are lots of options.

I shied away from barrel cockers, as I didn't see how a moveable barrel could be accurate if the scope was mounted on the action behind the hinge.

However, now would likely go that way with a quality product after owning the HEAVY side cocker.

CDOC
Old April 30, 2013, 04:33 PM   #8
TheBear

Beeman (weihrauc) hw97k
the best there is...
Old April 30, 2013, 06:54 PM   #9
Wild-Bill

Crosman Nitro Venom

Just ordered a Crosman Nitro Venom.177. should be here in two days.
I wanted something that didn't make as much noise as 22lr here in my country neighborhood.
If I can hit small V8 cans across the pond I'll be happy. 180 ft.
I'm a bit reserved about the scope. Time will tell.
Old May 1, 2013, 12:44 AM   #10
makarov

Another vote for RWS 34. I didn't scope mine. Nice full size rifle. Not too expensive. Got mine from Natchez a few years ago on sale.
Old May 1, 2013, 06:50 AM   #11
hodaka

Scope

Yes, a scope on the receiver of a rifle with a barrel that moves is not ideal. Still, a low power scope is better than old eyes and the irons. I have gone back and forth a few times but now it has the scope. I think I paid about $200 for my 34 from either Natchez or Midway some years ago.
Old May 1, 2013, 07:00 AM   #12
wyobohunter

Suggest an air rifle

I ended up buying a cheaper rifle for now. Got the Crosman Fury NP. Got the model without a scope. If it proves to be more accurate than I can manage with the open sights I'll consider a scope (I'll test this from sandbags at the bench), if not I'll use it to see how much I enjoy the air rifle vs my CZ .22 LR and consider upgrading to one of the suggested models and this will become a truck/loaner rifle.

I dry fired it twice in the store to feel the trigger (in the archery range) only to read in the manual that it should not be dry fired due to potential for damage. How will I know if I caused damage?

-will velocity be lower than expected?
-will it just plain not shoot?
-will accuracy (consistency) be reduced?

I made the mistake of assuming it wouldn't hurt anything to dry fire... And so did the sales person. Live and learn.
Old May 1, 2013, 11:52 AM   #13
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

The main reason I bought the RWS Diana side cocker was to keep my eye and hand in the shooting game during the off season.

As said, it was VERY heavy and not a lot of fun to shoot for someone with a weak wing.

I like scopes for other then most handgun use, so would want a scope on an air rifle.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Old May 1, 2013, 11:56 AM   #14
gwhunran

I have a Beeman R9 in .20 caliber that I probably shoot more than any other gun because I can shoot it in my backyard without bothering the neighbors. It is accurate, pretty quiet, and kills small game cleanly. It cost a bit more than your preferred budget but should last you a long time. I use a scope because I can no longer use open sights with my aging eyes. It's easy to order pellets online.
Old May 1, 2013, 12:54 PM   #15
Wild-Bill

The Beeman would be my top choice, but I chose to enter the air rifle relm by getting a less expensive rifle. I too want to shoot in the back yard of my country neighborhood.
I hope buying the cheaper rifle doesn't bite me in the behind like the Heritage RR revolver has. Brand new Mar 11 and has been back to warranty twice for FTF's and I have told them what the problem is, the cylinder.
I also bought a Browning BL-22 Lever earlier this year and it is a sweet rifle.
Old May 1, 2013, 06:38 PM   #16
g.willikers

An occasional dry fire of an air rifle isn't too likely to damage anything.
Just don't do it with a break barrel type open and not locked close.
A good reason to not buy the one in the rack, instead of insisting on an untouched one, sealed in the box.
Old May 1, 2013, 06:41 PM   #17
wyobohunter

Suggest an air rifle

Thanks, I finally shot it for the first time. Seems pretty accurate, especially considering it isn't broken in yet. Much quieter than I expected too. I was shooting just outside the kitchen where the wife is cooking. She didn't even notice... Which is good because she doesn't know I bought it ;-) I figured she'd figure it out when she heard the pop. It's more of a pffft though. Err at least a smaller pop. I thought it'd be along the lines of my .22 LR with CB longs, much quiter. It's definitely going to hunting camp with me.

Last edited by wyobohunter; May 1, 2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old May 1, 2013, 06:51 PM   #18
wyobohunter

Suggest an air rifle

Sights are kind of cheesy plastic and the trigger ain't so great, guess I got what I payed for. I haven't had an air rifle since I was a kid so this may just be the introductory model.
Old May 1, 2013, 07:14 PM   #19
Ron T. B.

Air Rifle

Google GTA AIR This forum will have answers to air rifle questions you may not have even thought of yet. I spent a month on this forum trying to decide what type of air rifle i should buy. I finally decided on a Benjamin Discovery, pre-charged pneumatic ( I pump it up with a special pump similar to a bike pump). I get 20-30 accurate shots per pump session (40-50) strokes. The advantages to a pcp are it can be held and shot like a firearm, very good accuracy. The downside, more expensive.
Old May 1, 2013, 07:36 PM   #20
BigD_in_FL

The PCP guns are quieter than any springer because they do not have the noise of the spring piston, and they are very accurate - BUT they are also a lot more expensive
Old May 1, 2013, 09:59 PM   #21
Garycw

Suggest an air rifle

Ditto on the RWS 34. Had mine many many years and love it. Wouldn't even think of trading even for rim fire. Storeger x20 isn't bad but cheaper made. I like the 22cal. Though vs 177