The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 11, 2012, 09:19 PM   #1
wonderbread

sig pro 2022 trigger job (solution)

i have heared alot of people saying the sig pro trigger is to heavy in DA and no one seams to have any idea on how to do a trigger job. well its super simple. all you need to do is change the mainspring. its that simple. i did this to my sig pro. i had a factory gp100 maindpring laying around so i decided to try to remove the factory sig spring (20 lbs) with the factory gp100 spring (14lbs) yes i now its a pretty light spring but i will let you know how it works tomorrow. long story short i replaced the spring and what an amazing diffrence in pull weight of the trigger. even with a 14 lbs main spring it still launches a pencil out of it when you dry fire it so im guessing it will work fine. if not i will simply bump my spring weight up to 16 lbs and test it with the 16. the trigger is already smooth so its really unnessisary to do anything other than mess with the spring. next time you take your grip off your sig take a look at the spring and figure out if changing it to a lighter spring is worth it to you.. the whole job took my only about twenty min if that.
Old April 11, 2012, 10:16 PM   #2
TunnelRat

It's supposed to be heavy in DA, hence DA...Seriously though that is the design. A SIG in DA is ~ 10 lbs. That isn't that heavy after some practice.
Maintain situational awareness
Old April 11, 2012, 10:57 PM   #3
paperpounder

I think without a 2022 having a safety, that I'll just leave the trigger pull at the stock weight.

That trigger is smooth as silk as is.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old April 11, 2012, 11:26 PM   #4
wonderbread

the purpose of my post was to tell others that it is possible to mess with the pull weight and how to do it..after i test the new spring, even if it works perfectly i will most likey change back to factory spring. and i do agree that 10lbs DA is not that bad couple that with how smooth the trigger is on the gun its perfect the way it comes in the box for me. i just wanted to let people know its possible and not hard to do and that just because you cannot buy aftermarket springs for the 2022 does not mean lightening the trigger cannot be done.
Old April 11, 2012, 11:42 PM   #5
Marquezj16

It's good to know information, but I will not mess with mine. I like my SP2022's trigger as is.
Old April 12, 2012, 12:49 AM   #6
RC20

Interesting thing to do. Mixed feeling about publishing it.

Someone may be tempted to turn their Sig into a Glock!

I am interested if someone does finer break on the trigger in SA.

Not that its not decent, just would like a bit less mush at the end.

Getting pretty picky, probably its only slight blemish!
Old April 12, 2012, 06:25 AM   #7
Leejack

The DA pull on the pro is why I feel it's safe enough for the nightstand. 10 pounds of melted butter.

The SA pull is silly easy for shooting targets.

I like this setup better than the striker polys. I will leave mine stock but thanks for the info sir.
Old April 12, 2012, 11:24 AM   #8
TunnelRat

Indeed, you did make a worthwhile suggestion and I don't want to seem offputting to a new member.
Old April 12, 2012, 01:02 PM   #9
RC20

Quote:
The SA pull is silly easy for shooting targets.
I find for what I would call combat shooting (fire once on the spot) its great.

Trying to do real precision slow shooting not as good. Interesting the difference.

Not intended as a target but, but damn its capaible.

If I had a wish it would be a target gun class SA. I want it all. Sound like some of the younger generation! (grin)
Old April 12, 2012, 01:18 PM   #10
balance

I don't see anything wrong with putting a lighter mainspring in the pistol as long as reliability isn't effected. You will still have both a longer and heavier trigger on the DA first shot, than almost all of the other polymer pistols out there with a constant trigger pull. Lighter mainsprings don't do much to lighten the SA pull, so I wouldn't worry about that either.
Old April 12, 2012, 01:22 PM   #11
Leejack

LOL!

RC20, I'm thinking about adding a P250C to the herd.

I've been doing my homework and it looks like the early bugs have been worked out. The negative reviews have older dates on them, recent reviews look good.

Keep in mind, the sigma trigger doesn't bother me at all, and they say the 250 trigger is smoother than a baby's butt with @ a 6.5 lb pull. For that matter, the DA pull on the 2022 is smooth as glass as far as I'm concerned.
Old April 12, 2012, 05:02 PM   #12
wonderbread

range report with lighter springs

with the 14 lbs spring every ninth round did not fire on first pull of the trigger. put in 16lbs spring shot perfect every time... although the reliability seamed to be good with the 16 lbs spring im still going back to the factory spring only because of personal preferance. the factory DA trigger is good for me so why changd it right! secondly i did notice more muzzle jump with the lighter springs due to the fact that the resistance of the hammer pushing against the slide during cycling what less (im guessing). time for me to clean the guns and put the factory spring in the good ol 2022..
just a side note this was only a test i am going back to factory. the only reason i did this was to prove that it can be done.. i love the 2022 the way it came so im sticking to factory set up.
Old April 12, 2012, 06:52 PM   #13
TunnelRat

Quote:
just a side note this was only a test i am going back to factory. the only reason i did this was to prove that it can be done.. i love the 2022 the way it came so im sticking to factory set up.
No harm no foul. SIGs are pretty easy guns to work on and maybe home tinkering a bit more accessible.
Old April 13, 2012, 11:54 AM   #14
RC20

Quote:
LOL!

RC20, I'm thinking about adding a P250C to the herd.

I've been doing my homework and it looks like the early bugs have been worked out. The negative reviews have older dates on them, recent reviews look good.

Keep in mind, the sigma trigger doesn't bother me at all, and they say the 250 trigger is smoother than a baby's butt with @ a 6.5 lb pull. For that matter, the DA pull on the 2022 is smooth as glass as far as I'm concerned.
Oddly, of the strikers, I liked the Sigman the best for the trigger! Thought it was odd it felt better than the MP. hmmm. Mostly I just don't like strikers for the action type. DA/SA suits me well.

DA on the Sig is fine, its the SA I have some problems with, but again I am taking it outside its true intent (its a field gun, not a target range gun though you can get impressive results as its so danged good).

I am also using a laser and that really does have one wanting to do a precision brake.
Old April 13, 2012, 05:22 PM   #15
Bullrock

Sig. 2022

Yesterday I picked up my first Sig; ever! My first, and second, reactions were, "what a piece of junk". My second reaction was, "maybe I can trade it for a High Point".

I broke it down, cleaned and oiled, and tried to put it back to together. After an hour of trying, extra time with the Sig users guide and more time with Sigs on line guide, I took my dog for a long walk. Upon arriving back home, I finally figured it out. I think! But, still the hammer is loose and rattles, the recoil spring moans and groans, the decock lever doesn't work. Maybe it needs a live one in the hole for that to happen, but I'm not taking any more chances around the house messing with piece with no plum. The left side is seated slightly higher than the left.

Say what you want, this Sig sucker has one more chance, and thats at the range, maybe tomorrow. Maybe I can pay someone to take the first shot for me. Oh pardon me sir????

"D' Day will be Monday and may include a one way ticket to New Hampshire, or maybe I'll just give it a ride home...
Old April 13, 2012, 05:44 PM   #16
jibberjabber

[QUOTEBut, still the hammer is loose and rattles, the recoil spring moans and groans, the decock lever doesn't work. ][/QUOTE]

***? Did you buy new or used? Not normal at all to have these things describe a newly purchased firearm. Don't even bother firing it. It needs help. BTW, my sp2022 is a sweet shooter.
Old April 13, 2012, 10:02 PM   #17
Marquezj16

I don't get it. If your first and second reaction was "what a piece of junk", why did you buy it? How far down did you strip it to that you could not put it back together?
Old April 13, 2012, 10:07 PM   #18
paperpounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibberjabber View Post
[QUOTEBut, still the hammer is loose and rattles, the recoil spring moans and groans, the decock lever doesn't work. ]
***? Did you buy new or used? Not normal at all to have these things describe a newly purchased firearm. Don't even bother firing it. It needs help. BTW, my sp2022 is a sweet shooter.[/QUOTE]

I have a lot to say about this diatribe being posted on multiple threads, but I'll just let it go for now. The 2022 is a fine gun, I'm leaning heavily towards believing this is a case of user error.

Old April 13, 2012, 10:59 PM   #19
WVsig

Quote:
I have a lot to say about this diatribe being posted on multiple threads, but I'll just let it go for now. The 2022 is a fine gun, I'm leaning heavily towards believing this is a case of user error.
IMHO he detailed stripped the gun down to bare parts and did not reassemble it properly. He will not answer if he field stripped it or detail stripped it.

He states he used the user manual as a reference which if he detail stripped it will be of no use to him....

In any case he should call Sig claim it was defective out of the box send it back and have them look it over.
Old April 13, 2012, 11:03 PM   #20
paperpounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVsig View Post
IMHO he detailed stripped the gun down to bare parts and did not reassemble it properly. He will not answer if he field stripped it or detail stripped it.

He states he used the user manual as a reference which if he detail stripped it will be of no use to him....

In any case he should call Sig claim it was defective out of the box send it back and have them look it over.
I agree.

Old April 13, 2012, 11:37 PM   #21
Marquezj16

So I did something like this today. It's not gun related though.
I bought a windshield for my Harley and when i was almost done with the installation, I could not get the last two brackets to meet up with the windshield. Well I took it apart and thought they must have given me the wrong one. So I packaged it up and threw it in the back seat of my truck. Before going to the store, I went online to check for the correct part number and wrote it down. Then out of curiosity decided to look at the picture of how it was mounted on a bike. I'd be darn, I had a couple of pieces upside down. So I installed it correctly the second time around and was riding in no time. That little check online saved me from an embarrassing moment.

I also believe that he disasssebled the pistol beyond the instructions of the manual. If he tries to send it back to Sig, I think the gunsmith assigned to fix it will catch the problem easily. Hopefully, it does not cost him any money.

Tags
sig 2022 , sig pro , sig pro trigger job , sp2022 , trigger job