The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 10, 2012, 12:01 PM   #1
hlds54

M1 Carbine .30 Cal

My dad just picked up a m1 carbine in REALLY good condition. WW2 era I seriously doubt it was ever issued, mainly because its in such good condition (could be refinished I guess but I dont think so) its was made by I.B.M. aside from that nothing really special. My dad got it from a guy at work and he plans on giving it to my older brother. This makes carbine #2 for us. The first one ( which we still have) was made by Rock-ola. Just thought I'd share with you guys
Old March 10, 2012, 12:11 PM   #2
Ridge_Runner_5

This thread needs more M1 ****

Old March 10, 2012, 12:39 PM   #3
kraigwy

No Carbine is complete without a Bayonet.

Also you need to show that the lady still has it in her, and start shooting CMP GSM Carbine Matches.

Wont hurt it, those girls were made to shoot.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 10, 2012, 01:38 PM   #4
arch308

I got mine from my father. It's an Inland stamped 8-43 on the barrel. He mail ordered it many years ago Army surplus. I think he paid like $45 for it. Still shoots great although I don't shoot it much.
Old March 10, 2012, 02:19 PM   #5
Mannlicher

I love my three

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old March 10, 2012, 03:02 PM   #6
Scharfschuetzer

WW II Carbines

Hlds,

Good news on that M1 Carbine.

Oringinal and unaltered WWII Carbines are pretty scarce. Markers for these early issue carbines are an L type flip sight (like the M16A1) for two different ranges, no bayonet lug, and a push button safety. There are some other markers for various periods of manufacture like the way the sling/oiler slot in the stock is cut and round or flat bolts, but given the number of manufacturers, the details can go on ad naseum.

Look on the left side of the stock for any rebuild stamps.

The adustable sight, rotating safety and the bayonet lug were usually added during rebuilds. While some of these mods may have been added to the early carbines late in the war, most were added folowing the war and were generally in effect for the Koran War.
NRA Police Distinguished Expert

Last edited by Scharfschuetzer; March 10, 2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old March 10, 2012, 03:52 PM   #7
cohoskip

Along with a Colt .45 I carried an M2 Carbine (selective full auto) in Korea.
It also had a bayonet...

NRA Life Member
Old March 10, 2012, 04:55 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

Methinks The bayonet lug was adopted after WW II
Old March 10, 2012, 07:21 PM   #9
Ridge_Runner_5

^^From what I understand, that is the case. Bayonet lug carbines didn't see service until Korea.
Old March 10, 2012, 07:48 PM   #10
Dfariswheel

The M1 Carbine bayonet lug was adopted in late 1944.
Carbines with the bayonet lug definitely saw service in the Pacific, and some made it to Europe in the spring of 1945.

Early M1 Carbine bayonets were made using M3 Combat knife blades, and have US M3 stamps on the blade.
Old March 10, 2012, 10:04 PM   #11
bamaranger

BOP

The Fed Bureau of Prisons used the M1 Carbine as a tower and CO rifle into the late 80's. Everybody learns to shoot (a bit) with that outfit and I got to assist on the line with quite a few session with the M! Carbine. We never turned in loose ammo, so the instructors shot up all the partial boxes (within reason) after every class. Worst group bought lunch.

I swore up and down I would have a carbine someday, but to date, do not.
Old March 10, 2012, 11:25 PM   #12
gak

Dfariswheel said
" The M1 Carbine bayonet lug was adopted in late 1944.Carbines with the bayonet lug definitely saw service in the Pacific, and some made it to Europe in the spring of 1945.Early M1 Carbine bayonets were made using M3 Combat knife blades, and have US M3 stamps on the blade."

+1 Thank you for debunking a very common misperception. It took awhile for the Ordnance Dept order to be executed but definitely bayos made it into the war, albeit late and mostly Pacific Theatre as mentioned.

I've got a rare unmolested 6-44 Inland with original bayo lug. I know this as it has never seen anyone elses' handling beyond my father and me. He was a B-29 pilot on Guam and found our carbine NIB in the island dump (still getting pot shot at) scrounging for engine parts--brought it home at war's end behind his seat. They said "just keep it." Never a problem in his 20 or so and my 45+ years of shooting it other than some dislike of some c***** (crummy ) ammo--Wolf or some such/someone's bad home-brew loads, and a few aftermarket mags.

Last edited by gak; March 11, 2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old March 11, 2012, 08:10 AM   #13
hlds54

Thanks for the info guys
Old March 11, 2012, 10:48 AM   #14
COSteve

I've had a pristine Rock Island Armory rebuild 1943 NPM M1 Carbine for almost 40 years and have shot it very little to keep it in great shape. It's got the upgraded sights, safety, and bayo lug but has a 'high wood' stock and original Marlin barrel with a muzzle that's just over a 1. Recently, it was valued by a M1 Carbine dealer here locally at $1,200 - $1,400 dollars.

Anyway, I've been looking for one to use as a shooter for a while and couldn't find anything in the $600 - $700 range that's wasn't a worn out beater with a shot out barrel. So, I took a chance on a NIB Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine recently at Bud's for $628 delivered and after over 400 rds I'm relieved to say that it's a good shooter with no feeding issues at all. As a bonus, it turns out to be very accurate for a carbine too with one of our younger CMP shooters achieving a couple of 2" groups at 100 yds with it. (My 64+ yr old eyes just won't let me shoot that well and my best groups are in the 4+" range at 100 yds with it.)
Old March 11, 2012, 05:40 PM   #15
gak

COSteve, mine's a high wood also despite being a later model, round bolt, with four rivet handguard and late sights. Just goes to show you, the manufacturers put these together with whatever parts happened to be available. In my case, they had an spare early (but not "I" cut) stock in the barrel and mated it to all the other newer parts. And...the handguard is perfectly matched to the stock. Go figure.
Old March 11, 2012, 06:29 PM   #16
Ozzieman

At times I wished that I had found my father a real WWII Carbine which is what he carried most of the war and landed on Utah beach with. But when these came out I picked up this one that was built in the mid 90’s for the 50th year anniversary of the D day landing. Gave it to him for his birthday with 1000 rounds. It may not be a real war gun, but it is a sweet little shooter.
In all the years I knew my father, it was the one and only time I saw him cry.
And the only time I got him to talk about that day.

Last edited by Ozzieman; October 1, 2016 at 05:19 PM.
Old March 12, 2012, 01:07 AM   #17
gak

Ozzieman, nice. That's a very touching story. Good for you, you're a good son, and God bless your father for his service.
Looks like they used a "real" (GI) M2 stock--mated to an early type 2 rivet handguard) in creating that anniversary carbine. Don't know of any M2 stocks other than original GI (very late WWII and post war refits/Korea and "legit" replacement stock contractors, including for Vietnam use.
Old March 12, 2012, 07:59 PM   #18
sc928porsche

I have my dads issue from Korea. I also have his 06 and his Garand from WWII. I have no idea how he smuggled them in. He also brought home an Ariska 38, 3 sword set (He relieved from enemy officer) a Nambu pistol from WWII and a 91/30 from Korea. I guess that was better than collecting ears.

Yes, I still have them and no, they are not for sale.
Old March 12, 2012, 08:12 PM   #19
sir_n0thing

Ozzieman... awesome!!!
Old March 13, 2012, 05:58 PM   #20
Ozzieman

Sc928porshe, good question on how he got the 06 and Grand but the remainder were called “War prizes” and all you had to do was fill out the paper work and get it signed by your commanding officer. I have the paperwork from the 32 auto he took off a German officer outside Dachau.

In his foot locker he brought back several other guns and several German helmets. When he boarded the Navy ship to return to the states he was told that his foot locker had to be put below decks in storage.
He never saw the guns or helmets again. The Belgium Browning he had in his duffle bag.
He was kind of miffed when I joined the Navy in the 70’s.

Last edited by Ozzieman; October 1, 2016 at 05:19 PM.

Tags
30 cal , m1 carbine , rifle , ww2