The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 4, 2012, 11:31 AM   #1
jakeLC

The Ruger American Rifle

Has anyone looked at the new ruger american rifle. according to the website it is 100 percent made in america. available in 4 calibers and all for an msrp of $449. I have to say it may be my next rifle.

Heres a link:
http://ruger.com/products/americanRifle/models.html
Old January 4, 2012, 11:46 AM   #2
UtopiaTexasG19

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473783
Old January 4, 2012, 01:22 PM   #3
taylorce1

Just a sign of the times and what people want these days; Ruger is just trying to capture more of the entry level market and the garage gunsmith. There are a lot of first time buyers who don’t want to mess with trying to figure out the used market, and they will buy these. If they offer them in a youth sized stock I imagine they would be able to sell quite a few to parents looking to buy their kids first hunting rifle.

These rifles appear to have a barrel nut so switch barrels will be in the future. The safety in the trigger shoe isn't needed but everyone wants the much adored Savage Accutrigger, so now Mossberg and Marlin offer one why not the new Ruger. Plus Ruger has always liked to lawyer proof things so they won't adjust lower than 3 lbs.

Unlike Tikka they use two different length actions so that is nice, I still don't like the recoil lug being attached to the stock like the Tikka's and Axis. They hold one more round than the T/C Venture by using a rotary magazine vs. single stack. The will use a standard base and ring set up vs. the Ruger rings which is nice as well.
Old January 4, 2012, 04:01 PM   #4
warbirdlover

I'll be darned. They DO have a barrel nut setup like Savage. I missed that the first time I looked at the pics. I'm just betting whether well made or not that these will be good shooters.
Old January 4, 2012, 10:50 PM   #5
treg

Goes back to Bills saying, and I quote loosely, " a quality firearm for a weeks pay", for a LOT of people.
Old January 5, 2012, 06:00 AM   #6
kst8fan

These new rifles may be cheaper but I would imagine they will be shooters. Ruger has one of the best customer service dept in the business. I may have to look in to one of these.
Old January 5, 2012, 12:01 PM   #7
Mannlicher

note that the referenced thread about Ruger's new rifle was closed fairly quick. Guess we can't discuss the pros and cons of a new rifle here without straying into personal attacks. Sad.

My take is that Ruger has produced a quality rifle using modern manufacturing methods. A lot of features are included, such as bedding, hammer forged barrel and a nifty rotary magazine.
I will be looking to pick up one soon, in .308.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old January 5, 2012, 12:47 PM   #8
old roper

The new Ruger American rifle has the tang safety.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/2012/01/0...erican-legend/

It's just like the Tikka lite enclosed bolt and if it's shoots as good as the Tikka be a nice light weight rifle.
Old January 5, 2012, 02:26 PM   #9
DPris
Member Emeritus

Taylor,
Not QUITE everybody wants the "Savage" trigger.

I'll put up with a Glock trigger on Glocks, but not on a rifle.
Worked with the updated Savage Scout, quite probably would'a kept it had it not been for that trigger.
Same with a Marlin .22 here that's otherwise nice, but not staying.

Irrational, probably, but I dislike the squiggly two-trigger feel of the things.
Denis
Old January 5, 2012, 06:57 PM   #10
taylorce1

Quote:
Taylor,
Not QUITE everybody wants the "Savage" trigger.
I hear you there, I guess I haven't been able to type well enough for my sarcasam to come through. I buy Stevens 200 rifles or older pre-accutrigger rifles when I use them for projects. If I want a better trigger I replace them with a Northand Shooter Supply tuned 3 screw or a Sharp Shooter Supply competition trigger. I don't like the feel of the trigger safety either and don't want it on a rifle, I don't shoot pistols very often and have never fired a Glock.
Old January 5, 2012, 07:40 PM   #11
DPris
Member Emeritus

Yep, I like one trigger on my rifles, not two.
But, I've been known to be outa step with other aspects of the modern world, so what do I know?
Denis
Old January 5, 2012, 07:55 PM   #12
Cowboy_mo

NO Accu triggers for me either!!!!!!!!

To all the folks who love the I wish "more power to you". But to me, they just feel like a creepy trigger and I refuse to own one.

Now that fact plus the fact that I think 30-06 and 270 win deserve and perform much better with a 24" barrel, I won't be looking to purchase one of these
Old January 5, 2012, 08:09 PM   #13
PawPaw

I like the Savage trigger. Have several of them and shoot them well. I admit that it's different from other triggers, most especially the Remington trigger on my 700.

I'll take mine with the Accutrigger, please.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old January 5, 2012, 08:37 PM   #14
DPris
Member Emeritus

Don't forget the pickles & onions!
Denis
Old January 6, 2012, 06:39 AM   #15
CPTMurdoc30

Man a lot of hate for a rifle that hasn't even hit the market yet.

They are an entry level rifle meant for people seeing if they like hunting or shooting. What is wrong with that?

If it gets more people to be gun owners I am all for it. As should everyone else. I can't believe some of the attitude around this rifle and others.

8 years ago I purchased a Remington 700 VLS in 223 I paid $600 + $500 for the scope and $100 for the rings and bases. That is $1200 all together. It took me 3 months to save the money to get the scope. Now that same rifle with nothing different at the same store is $975 + $500 for scope and $100 for rings and bases. That is $1575 for the same rifle a few years later.

Would I buy an entry level rifle. No because I am not an entry level shooter. Would I belittle someone new to the sport for buying this or the savage NO. I would however explain the lack of quality in the cheap remington rifle.

I think this rifle will be of Ruger quality at a price many can afford. Not everyone in the USA makes $250k a year and can afford the best of everything. Some people have to work hard for their money and they supplement their food and cut costs with hunting.

As for the rifle its self I like the looks better than any other out there. I like the design features over the others as well. I think the stock on this rifle out shines any other budget rifle on the market.
Old January 6, 2012, 09:12 AM   #16
taylorce1

Quote:
If it gets more people to be gun owners I am all for it. As should everyone else. I can't believe some of the attitude around this rifle and others.
I agree 100% with your thinking. I don't hate anything that gets people out shooting. I'd buy this rifle if the price is right, especially if a .223 bolt face comes out, or if it is cheap enough I want to build my daughter a .250-3000 Savage. I don't want it to cost me as much as a full blown custom and I can do this myself at my bench. Plus I imagine you might see some aftermarket stocks come out for this rifle.
Old January 6, 2012, 09:21 AM   #17
Marquezj16

I like it. Ruger is expanding it's customer base by offering a rifle that is affordable.
Quote:
If it gets more people to be gun owners I am all for it. As should everyone else.
Ditto
Old January 6, 2012, 11:20 AM   #18
TX Hunter

I was initially upset when I saw this, I was thinking it was a replacement for the Ruger M77 Hawkeye. If they make this as just an aditional rifle I will be fine with that.
I will state the reasons, that I do not like it.
1. I dont like the ejection port, I prefer an open top Bolt action Rifle.
2. I really dont like Plunger Ejectors, this being a Push Feed I assume it has one, Im not pertucularly crazy about push feed either.
3. Im one of the shooters, that actually likes a little resistance in a triger, I dont want a wing on my triger either.
4. I am not a fan of plastic stocks, I do like laminate however.
5, I dont like detachable magazines on bolt action rifles, I like the machined feed rails that you have to do away with in order to use a detachable magazine. I think it will lead to failures in the field.
That said, I think this rifle will still function well for the average hunter, and if its just an inexpensive option for those who would otherwise not be able to afford a rifle I am all for it.
Old January 6, 2012, 06:26 PM   #19
Orion6

Quote:
Man a lot of hate for a rifle that hasn't even hit the market yet.

They are an entry level rifle meant for people seeing if they like hunting or shooting. What is wrong with that?

8 years ago I purchased a Remington 700 VLS in 223 I paid $600 + $500 for the scope and $100 for the rings and bases. That is $1200 all together. It took me 3 months to save the money to get the scope. Now that same rifle with nothing different at the same store is $975 + $500 for scope and $100 for rings and bases. That is $1575 for the same rifle a few years later.

Would I buy an entry level rifle. No because I am not an entry level shooter. Would I belittle someone new to the sport for buying this or the savage NO. I would however explain the lack of quality in the cheap remington rifle.

I think this rifle will be of Ruger quality at a price many can afford. Not everyone in the USA makes $250k a year and can afford the best of everything. Some people have to work hard for their money and they supplement their food and cut costs with hunting.

As for the rifle its self I like the looks better than any other out there. I like the design features over the others as well. I think the stock on this rifle out shines any other budget rifle on the market.
I said pretty much the same thing in the other thread that got locked. Just classic elitism.
Old January 6, 2012, 06:32 PM   #20
Magog

needs a flash hider and 30 round magazine.
Old January 7, 2012, 02:24 AM   #21
kozak6

Sure is ugly. But that seems to be the trend for these new entry level rifles.

The styling really reminds me of a Remington 887.

I'm very curious to see how these shoot.
Old January 8, 2012, 03:39 PM   #22
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

I handled the Ruger American Rifle today at a dealer-only trade show. I have to report that I was very disappointed. Lots of plastic, stock is really subpar and it just feels cheap. LOTS of slop as you draw the bolt. I love Ruger but it seems like they let the guy who designed the LCP into the rifle department. Maybe it can shoot, maybe it cannot, but I was not impressed.
Old January 10, 2012, 12:01 AM   #23
warbirdlover

I was reading all of Ruger's hype on their website. It is supposed to shoot sub MOA with factory ammo. The barrel is free floated and the aluminum bedding blocks keep it that way when torqued to the correct values. I think they need to put this in a wood stock. Like the Tikka T3 Hunter. I think it's too early to judge until somebody throws some lead down the range with it. I was also reading in their owners manual about (if it doesn't group) sending it back after checking a list of things we already know to check.

And they even have Larry Weishuhnn pushing it in a video. Thought he was a TC guy.
Old January 10, 2012, 06:28 AM   #24
Abel

Quote:
And they even have Larry Weishuhnn pushing it in a video. Thought he was a TC guy.
Yeah, that surprised me too. Maybe Ruger sent him some new custom painted leather work/hunting gloves?
Old January 10, 2012, 12:32 PM   #25
Cowboy_mo

Revisitied this post & the Ruger info

After reviewing the posts following my earlier post and looking through the manual for this rifle, I have a few observations.

1. With a few exceptions, this rifle is very close to the T/C Venture.

The exceptions are:
1. The Ruger has an "accutrigger"
2. This rifle has the bedding blocks milled into the stock (this is the 2nd new rifle I have seen with this design. The problem this creates (in my mind) is a lack of aftermarket stocks should the shooter not like the factory stock.
3. This rifle has a tang safety which some like and some don't. On the plus side (for me) this safety allows the bolt to be lifted while in the "safe" position.
4. The scope bases are NOT integral to this rifle.
5. This rifle requires the action to be removed from the stock to adjust the trigger.

Because of these exceptions, I won't be buying one of these rifles, BUT I think they will be excellent entry level rifles. Hey if you've never shot anything else, you will fall in love with the features I cite as exceptions.

As others have mentioned, I am surprised that Larry Wieshund is endorsing them since they are so close to the Venture and he has always been a T/C guy. Just guessing, but Ruger must have offered a bigger paycheck for his endorsement.

Tags
american , ruger