The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 27, 2011, 10:05 AM   #1
fightingbard

A research on the right to bear arms

Dear all,

I have started to collect data for a research on gun rights. Hopefully it is going to get published. Discussion will begin from Leviathan to Social contract etc, and from there expand to civil rights and of course the right to bear arms.
However regarding laws and more than that statistics, I need raw data from countries (first world countries mostly), which I find it quiet hard to get to.
For example:

-What is the avearge police response time, in x country? (stats)
-In which counrty/ies LEO officers do not carry a gun, and why/official statement? (laws)

Any help, info, or pointing the right direction, will be much appreciated..

All the best

Last edited by fightingbard; September 27, 2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old September 27, 2011, 12:08 PM   #2
Baba Louie

Just a suggestion... In the upper bar is a link to "Library" click
In lower right hand corner is "Other Misc Resources" click
Scroll down to "Papers" where you'll find "Social Science Research Network" click on it.

Oh heck click on the link (I did a search there using "gun + rights" and it came up with the following)

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/results....meout=50000000

I find it interesting that Kopel is the first up int he que. Search him out online (David Kopel) or the Independence Institute. He wrote a book a while back titled (IIRC) The Samaurai, Mounties, and Cowboys. Excellent research

Hope that heads you in some direction. Good luck on your quest and publishing
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old September 27, 2011, 01:10 PM   #3
Skans

The US alone has 50 states with 50 different sets of laws affecting gun ownership and rights. Most of us have a hard enough time keeping up with the gun laws in the states we reside in. A compilation of gun laws in the US would take volumes and would have to be updated monthly or quarterly due to never-ending changes.

Without narrowing your topic and defining your inquiry or premise quite specifically, I am afraid that you are on an impossible endeavor.
Old September 27, 2011, 01:58 PM   #4
Glenn E. Meyer

Google scholar or the professional data bases available though a university library or other major library.
Old September 27, 2011, 02:31 PM   #5
fightingbard

Thanks. Actually, info on the current situation and past, is pretty accessible regarding US.
However I can not find enough references on Europe. And by references I mean without commentary raw data. Since this is the forum I have been a member for a time, and I know there are many friends in Europe in the memberlist, I wanted to give it a try.
In summary, or to put it in a simple way, the argument is about the ethics on the individuals " right to bear arms, regardless of time or place. Why is it a right, and why it can not be altered in any way.

All the best.
Old September 28, 2011, 11:16 AM   #6
Carry_24/7

The U.S. is so large, populous, and has such a rich history on private gun ownership that it may not be necessary to include modern data on Europe in such a study. My M.S. is Criminal Justice admin, and in some papers I used some historical references to Europe, but that's it.

I think you could write volumes, all keeping within the U.S. Borders.
Old September 28, 2011, 12:08 PM   #7
Frank Ettin
Staff

For an excellent study topic in Great Britain see Guns and Violence, the English Experience by Joyce Lee Malcolm (Harvard University Press, 2002).
Old September 28, 2011, 01:01 PM   #8
fightingbard

Thanks fiddletown, much appreciated.

Carry_24/7,
I am aware of the studies within/about the US, and of course I will use many references among those studies.
However, I believe the problem is global. And since no other country has the 2nd amendment in their constitution to hold upon, discussing a world issue based only on the US experience, will not do.

All the best
Old September 28, 2011, 01:32 PM   #9
Carry_24/7

Understood, and good luck....
Old September 28, 2011, 03:12 PM   #10
Baba Louie

I understand that Mexico's constitution has a similar clause, Article 10, which is pretty much ignored...

http://www.davekopel.com/Espanol/Mexican-Gun-Laws.htm

Other than the US and Mexico, I've never found, seen or read about a written RKBA clause within another nations rules/regs. (not that I've looked extensively mind you). So, 2 nations out of what, 193 on the planet? And one doesn't really count other than lip service paid it back in 1917.

Historically, for a long period, Great Britian allowed their subjects that right, protestant subjects mind you. Funny that.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old September 28, 2011, 03:53 PM   #11
fightingbard

Thanks Baba Louie...