The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 10, 2011, 05:31 AM   #1
Evad

Thompson Center Icon stock

Hey guys
I have a T/C Icon .243 with the Weather Shield finish, which is a stainless barrel/action/trigger, and a Hogue stock. They also spray the assembled rifle with a clear coat that's supposed to resist corrosion 50x better than stainless alone. The problem is, the coating looks terrible on the stock, and rolls off of the Hogue material with just a little bit of gripping or any other friction. I'm picky about the way my stuff looks, so naturally I started looking online for a custom wooden or laminate stock to replace it. After having no luck, I called T/C and was told that the bedding system is a company patent, and that's why I can't find a custom stock to fit this rifle. Am I just simply out of luck? Or does anybody know of a stock maker that would touch this rifle? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old February 10, 2011, 05:17 PM   #2
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Buy one of T/Cs Walnut stocks . I'm sure they would sell you one , and they have pretty nice wood !
Old February 10, 2011, 06:54 PM   #3
Evad

I thought that exact same thing, but the rep told me that they don't sell their stocks separately. I can't imagine why not, but such is life.
Old February 11, 2011, 03:03 PM   #4
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
So if you fall on your T/C Icon , and snap the stock at the wrist , you have to throw it away ! That sounds so absurd it's probably true . They are owned by S&W now .
Old February 12, 2011, 12:47 PM   #5
Evad

Well, if you break a stock, you can send the whole gun back to them and they'll replace it under warranty, but if I did that, my rifle would come back with a brand new ugly composite stock.