The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 24, 2010, 10:01 AM   #1
rbf420

Mitchells mausers worth the money?

looking to get a K98 just wondering if the mitchells mausers are worth the price.. looking at thier select service grade
Old February 24, 2010, 10:04 AM   #2
Hardcase

The short answer is "No". Others will chime in with the long answer, I'm sure.
Old February 24, 2010, 10:24 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

I've done some reading to past few days about the yugo M48 I'm thinking of buying and Mitchells Mausers name came up a lot. From what I read they scrub and remark and claim new and original. Everything I read was negative so I would avoid them unless you really knew what you were looking at.
Old February 24, 2010, 11:02 AM   #4
UpandAtIt

I have two Mitchels Mausers K98's and all the accessories that come with em. I bought one as a shooter and one to put away. I find no scrubbing or remarks on the MM. I even called them this morning when I had seen this post and directly asked them about scrubs and remarks. The positively said "NO, they do not." They are however clean, accurate and beautiful rifles that I see the price going up on the auction sites each 3 months. As supplies in Euro dwindle these will go up even more.

So my short answer is YES, they are worth it.
Old February 24, 2010, 11:55 AM   #5
jsmaye

Most of the complaints I hear are that they mislead in their advertising more than they alter the rifles. It infuriates the purists.
Old February 24, 2010, 02:07 PM   #6
GregM

I'd answer NO to shooter and collector, here's why.

As a shooter, barrel condition is what really matters. You'd be MUCH better off to find a rifle in a shop that you can examine as opposed to mail order, and that goes for any place, not just Mitchells. A private seller with GOOD camera skills will suffice if its an online auction.

As a collector, you'd be better off buying from a place that specializes in numbers-matching rifles. The mitchells are VERY pretty, and if you just want a looker-they're the best....but thats not how they left the factory. Collectors look for correct features in these rifles. Numbers matching on every part commands premium prices. The polished bolt turns collectors away, even if everything matches.

As Upandatit said, I have found Mitchells in a local shop that were not scrubbed or renumbered, they were russian captures though. If I wanted a shooter and found a Mitchells in a shop with a good bore, i'd probably buy it, but not for the $399 they usually ask for them.

FWIW I just bought a German K98 from Gunbroker for $245 with a beautiful bore and stock, not scrubbed, without the gunky black russian finish. If you look hard enough, you can find Yugo 24/47 and 48 mausers for under $200.

I'm no expert, but have been researching mausers heavily. My opinions may not mean squat to anyone but myself, but I hope i've helped you. Research before you buy, more educated means a smarter purchase.

GregM
Old February 24, 2010, 04:06 PM   #7
jsmaye

Quote:
As a shooter, barrel condition is what really matters. You'd be MUCH better off to find a rifle in a shop that you can examine as opposed to mail order, and that goes for any place, not just Mitchells. A private seller with GOOD camera skills will suffice if its an online auction.
A large number of us purchase items sight-unseen from various internet retailers without any problems.
Old February 24, 2010, 04:06 PM   #8
kilimanjaro

Second the above post.....if you want one, go ahead and buy one, but might try Classic Arms and Gunbroker, you can get nice specimens there.

I differ with the earlier posters in one way, the Mitchell's may be a bit overpriced, but that will mean nothing when they are all gone.
Old February 24, 2010, 04:09 PM   #9
B. Lahey

Crudely refinished junk sold as original. Stay away.
Old February 24, 2010, 04:39 PM   #10
UpandAtIt

I almost spit my coffee ..... "It infuriates the purists" shall I laugh now or later LOL
Old February 24, 2010, 09:12 PM   #11
GregM

Classic Arms is good, couldn't think of their name earlier. I also like Todd Lacher at Family Firearm and finishes. Both of these will do you right if you want to buy sight-unseen. Todd is a super nice guy to talk to also. Even AIM surplus has taken a few returned rifles back from guys on a mauser forum I cruise, but man what a pain to send one back.

GregM
Old February 24, 2010, 10:45 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

as some one who bought a number of Mausers over many decades, at prices ranging from $20 to $100, I would say no.

Their ads are misleading, and there have even been stories of how they get matching numbers by using their own stamps.

Too much for a shooter grade (plinker), and not the guns true collectors are after. It's your money, but I won't waste mine on their stuff.
Old February 24, 2010, 11:34 PM   #13
Hardcase

I'll expand on my earlier "No."

This is what I read in forums: That Mitchell's Mausers refinishes many of the rifles that they sell. Also that they force match serial numbers by either removing existing serial numbers and stamping their own or by stamping unserialed parts with their own stamps.

I've also read that their advertising implies that some of their product is from a particular country when, in fact, it is not. That their advertising is not flat-out lies, but is just unspecific enough in details to create the thought that you may be buying something that you're really not.

If you want a Mauser to shoot and that's all you're after, there are better deals than Mitchell's. If you want a Mauser to collect and hold its value, then Mitchell's is certainly not the place to go - the only thing that can be positively, for sure said about them is that a rifle from them is guaranteed to be a Mitchell's Mauser. Beyond that, it's hard to say.

Now, I'm just repeating what I've heard. However, the places that I have dealt with, AIM, Classic Arms and Century, have sold me Mausers (VZ24, M48) that I thought were in excellent condition at prices much lower than Mitchell's.

If you do buy from them, let us know how it works out.
Old February 24, 2010, 11:49 PM   #14
olyinaz

Go to this forum and ask that question and you will get an ear full:

http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...8-Mauser-Forum

By all knowledgeable accounts they are over priced, over hyped, over cleaned & "restored", obtrusively import stamped and pretty much flat out ruined from a collector's perspective. The only people I ever see defend Mitchell's are those who have sent them money and have ego in the game.

Do your homework and find something more authentic or more collectible (or both) or just save some money and get something similar (a no numbers matching or Russian capture K98) for less off of Gunbroker.

Regards,
Oly
Old February 25, 2010, 12:39 AM   #15
ghengiskhan

I have one and I feel like I've gotten my money's worth.
I bought the: "History Preserved German K98k Infantry Rifle" and I have been more than pleased with mine. It has tons of barreling left and even the finish is good on the stock. Not good enough for it to be a safe queen but it's the rifle I have no problem tossing around and beating on.

Did I overpay for it? Probably.
Is it a completely and historically authentic battle rifle? Probably not.

I know a lot of people complain about how they feel as though Mitchell's re-stamps some of the numbers, markings, and generally misrepresents the condition and even fabricates/mixes and matches from stock piles around the world.

If you can find a better deal on gunbroker or a user on this forum who can provide a detailed description with pictures,etc.. then go that route. I'm certain you can find a Mauser for a lower price and you'll have the added benefit of that description and hopefully nice pictures of what you will be receiving. Whereas at Mitchell's I assume they just pick one out of pile in a warehouse.

Maybe I lucked out with my purchase - but all I can say is that I'm pleased with mine.
Old February 25, 2010, 08:23 AM   #16
mapsjanhere

If you have Big 5 in your area, their flyer this week has Yugo 24/47 for $199.
Old February 25, 2010, 08:39 AM   #17
Rampant_Colt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapsjanhere
If you have Big 5 in your area, their flyer this week has Yugo 24/47 for $199
This ^

ps - Google M48 Yugo
Old February 25, 2010, 09:17 AM   #18
jsmaye

Quote:
Go to this forum and ask that question and you will get an ear full:

http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...8-Mauser-Forum
Of course you will - these are the purists I mentioned before.

Quote:
By all knowledgeable accounts they are over priced, over hyped, over cleaned & "restored", obtrusively import stamped and pretty much flat out ruined from a collector's perspective.The only people I ever see defend Mitchell's are those who have sent them money and have ego in the game.
I bought mine from SOG. The only time I defend Mitchell's is when folks hyperventilate about their "illegal" business practices - if they are illegal, call the cops, call the BBB, press charges, file a suit, but just because you don't like what they do doesn't make it illegal. It might just be bad business, but, then again, they are still in business.

Bottom line - you'll pay more and maybe get less, but that depends are your expectations. I didn't want an over-priced over-worked "pretty" K98k.
Old February 25, 2010, 09:13 PM   #19
olyinaz

Quote:
Bottom line - you'll pay more and maybe get less, but that depends are your expectations.
Actually I think it's a truism that has little to do with expectations. Where expectations come in is whether or not the person is happy with it and I think in that case ignorance truly is bliss.

Quote:
I didn't want an over-priced over-worked "pretty" K98k.
Then it's odd that you defend Mitchell's because that is almost exactly how I would describe what they sell.

Look at their K98 bolt and butt plates - all pretty and silver. It certainly wasn't issued like that but Mitchell's doesn't want to take the time to reblue some of the parts (or thinks they're "pretty" they way they sell them) so they leave them incorrect and indeed they must strip off what blue they have left so then the shine makes pupils dilate and dollars leap from the pockets of those who truly don't know any better. To which I say :barf:!

And for proof a bit of gunshop searching and/or Gunbroker browsing will yeild results here's my K98. I've got far less into it than I would have a Mitchell's, it's got a new Norwegian .30-06 barrel (after the Norwegians kicked the German's back out they re-worked their captured K98s), it's a parts rifle without matching numbers, has had some re-bluing and as such is just as un-collectible as a Mitchell's, but it's not import stamped, is correct in it's general appearance and as such looks great and shoots even better with the new barrel:

For something different this is my all numbers matching, like new and totally unfettered Spanish M43 Mauser 98. I've got less into it than what Mitchell's charges for a freakin Yugo, it has no fugly import stamps, shoots GREAT in original 8mm and looks even better:

Seriously people, skip Mitchell's pimped (and thus ruined from a collector/heirloom perspective) rifles and either find a cheapo non-matching K98 and pimp it yourself for less money or spend just a bit more for something nicely authentic with lasting value.

Or, if you want something that's really nice, shoots great, has some excellent history, good collector's value, and doesn't cost like a German K98 mauser consider a Finn M39:

They're re-worked Mosin-Nagants, have the sweetest trigger you can imagine, shoot the powerhouse 7.62x54 Russian, come with much better sights and stocks than a Ruski Mosin, and can be had with really neat Sako cartouches and proofs. You can buy them in like-new, never issued condition all day long right here:

http://www.gunsnammo.com/

Mitchell's Mausers. :barf:

Just one man's opinion however...

Oly
Old February 25, 2010, 11:04 PM   #20
UpandAtIt

No thanks on the 39's, reworked Mosins for $269 to $499. I truly feel much better about my two Mitchels Mausers now LOL When I got mine a couple years back my MM's were just $239 each with all the gadgets you can imagine. They were neither super scrubed or polished. They are/were however nice, clean and crisp Mausers. They were NOT remarked.
Old February 26, 2010, 08:51 AM   #21
jsmaye

Quote:
...it's odd that you defend Mitchell's because that is almost exactly how I would describe what they sell...
You misread me. I don't defend necessarily what they they sell. I defend their right to sell what they sell. It's just not for me. I don't smoke, but I find tobacco taxes abhorrent.

Quote:
Where expectations come in is whether or not the person is happy with it and I think in that case ignorance truly is bliss.
Some people may want what they sell. I don't, but I'm not going to assume that everyone wants what I want. That's the same sort of arrogance that says "I don't like what they do, so they should be out of business..."

Quote:
...Or, if you want something that's really nice, shoots great, has some excellent history, good collector's value, and doesn't cost like a German K98 mauser consider a Finn M39...
An M39 is already on my short list, but if I'm looking for a Mauser, why would you suggest a Mosin?
Old February 26, 2010, 11:20 AM   #22
Hardcase

Well, the original question was whether or not a Mitchell's Mauser was worth the money. The consensus of the posts appears to be that it is not. Obviously it's not unanimous, but like all hot-button issues, nobody with an opinion on the subject is going to be swayed. But I will make this suggestion:

If a person is looking for a good K98-type rifle, he could do a lot worse than to pick up a Czech Vz-24 for around 250 clams. Great shooters and I'm sure that, someday, the market will realize their true value (or maybe not, but in the meantime, you can really enjoy shooting it!)

Classic Arms has some, crest included.
Old February 26, 2010, 11:49 AM   #23
rbf420

so obviously mitchels mausers are not the way to go my next option would be to try my luck at a gun show, is there any adivce to make sure i dont get ripped off?
Old February 26, 2010, 01:55 PM   #24
jsmaye

Quote:
...is there any adivce to make sure i dont get ripped off?
1. Buy the gun, not the story.
2. German wartime Mausers tend to come in two flavors - original and Russian capture. Rc's tend to come in a wide variety of conditions, but though the parts may all fit and operate, they've been mixed and scrambled and therefore have lost most collector value. I've seen them range in price at local gun shows from about $250 to $400. Non-Rc K98k's will cost a lot more, but some are willing to pay the price for an all-matching rifle.
3. Buy the gun, not the story.
4. Another alternate to the K98k is the Yugoslavian M24/47 Mauser.
Old February 26, 2010, 04:53 PM   #25
CGSteve8718

Even an RC K98 has more historical and collector value than a Mitchell's. A RC will be worth more in the future depending on the date code than any Mitchell's rifle will ever be. Just because you paid more for it, and just because they are raising the prices does not mean that is what the rifle is worth. The only simple way to say it is you've been suckered.

Go to surplusrifleforum.com and do a search there for an even more exacting description about what a Mitchell's Mauser really is (in essence just an RC K98 that has been scrubbed and taken of its historical significance [it at least has history if it was done by an opposing enemy force, not 2 weeks ago by an employee of Mitchell's]). There are old timers on that forum whom are affectionately referred to as Cruffler's who will forget more about military firearm collecting that many will ever know.

I will not say that MM's business practices are illegal, but they are without question very misleading in their advertisements. Stating that an M48 is preserved war time rifle is nonsense. The nomenclature "M48 K98k" is nonsense, the two although both Mauser action, are completely different rifles with their own differences. Their ads serve to mislead newcomers young and old to surplus rifle collecting. And juding by the fact they are still in business, they are selling their product very well. They are even endorsed by the History Channel !

HOWEVER, if you know what that you are purchasing a stripped, cleaned, scrubbed RC K98 because you don't feel like doing it yourself and are just looking for a shooter, then I suppose paying for that labor is "OK". But please don't consider your knowledge to be taken seriously when you buy their story about Nazi held M48 rifles sitting in a warehouse. Do you know how long they've been saying supplies of those rifles have been "running out"? Sure, of course they will run out someday, even the ubiquitous Mosin Nagants will run out eventually, but they've been using that line for years!

From a collector's standpoint, the most valuable and desireable K98k will be a non import marked, all matching bringback with the factory code further dictacting value, next will be RC K98k rifles scrubbed by Russian peasant factory workers or conscript soldiers post war, again with factory codes dictacting more/less value. A MM will never be worth more than what they advertised it for, and generally, it is the original purchaser just trying to recoup their money once he/she figures out they want to collect military rifles.