The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 14, 2008, 10:41 PM   #1
INGunGuy

S/W 4046 40 Cal Broken Drawbar

I was out shooting this afternoon and here is the chain of events.

I purchased this firearm about 4 months ago, I have put about 3000 rounds down range thru the gun without a problem at all. I have shot both factory and handloads. Handloads were 165GR TCFM Magnus bullets with CCI #500 Small Pistol Primer and 5.0gr Bullseye powder. I ran out of Bullseye powder and started using Unique. The recipe was the same, but I used 5.5gr of the Unique powder. I took the gun to the range and shot the first round, and was surprised at the difference between the Bullseye and the Unique powders. I went to retrieve me shell casing but it was lost. I went back to shoot my second shot, this time I wanted to watch where the shell casing went. Shot, put the gun down, and proceeded to where I found the shell casing. No problems noted on the shell casing, no bulging primer, no flattened primer, no indications of a "Hot Load". I went back over to fire my third round, and the trigger would not pull like the gun was not cocked. I racked the slide and a live round came out of the chamber. I thought this was really strange. I then attempted to fire again, and nothing, no trigger at all. I field stripped the gun and nothing looked amiss. I then started to look, and the drawbar is broken on one side back where it attaches to the hammer assembly.

I was told by a fellow shooter that a hot load would not cause this issue, that my rounds were probably just fine, that is was going to break no matter what the kind of rounds put thru the firearm. How do you all feel about that? Could a hot load cause this problem. I am not shooting hot loads, but the amount of the powder that was in the case caused me some concerns, but the powder always weighed exactly 5.5gr upon checking. Is this a part that is "User Serviceable"? Or do I need a professional gunsmith. I am not an expert, but I am pretty good with my hands for most things. Is this something that a average ability user would be able to change themselves?

I am sorry for such a long post, but any assistance would be appreciated. THis is my baby, it is my personal carry weapon. I have a backup 380 that I am going to carry, but really want to get my 4046 back.

Thanks!

INGunGuy
Governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it, and to institute new government.
Old December 15, 2008, 09:13 AM   #2
sadsack

Guy: Your load was a couple of grains under max, so that shouldln't have been the problem. It was more that likely just a flaw in the drawbar itself. The part cost about $ 60.00, but S&W would probably warranty it if you sent it back to them. It might pay to give them a call.
Old December 15, 2008, 09:39 AM   #3
INGunGuy

Max charge for the 165gr TCFM is 6.0gr of Unique. The reason that I was so concerned with the charge was the amount of powder in the case. When I was loading with Bullseye, the case was maybe 1/3 full. With the Unique it was 3/4 full if not a bit more. I posted some questions about the physical amount of powder under the handloading section, and I was given some good information to go by, but because the Unique has more volume than the Bullseye to not really worry about how much physically was in the case. I measured out many charges and they all were within +/- 1/20gr of the 5.5gr

I guess since I dont think there was a problem with the weight of the charge, that if the drawbar is a user serviceable item, or if I need to send the firearm back to S/W

Thanks,

INGunGuy
Governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it, and to institute new government.
Old December 16, 2008, 12:48 PM   #4
sadsack

Guy: I was going by Alliant listing 7.2 gr as max. (With a different bullet though)
If your mechanicaly inclined you should have no problems doing the work your self, but its not really a do it yourself project. It would take about 30 to 45 minutes to change it out. I was looking at saving the fustration and expense by letting S&W do it for you.

Let us know how it worked out.
Old December 16, 2008, 03:40 PM   #5
INGunGuy

I have taken the firearm to the dealer that I bought it from. They were going to inquire with Smith and Wesson as to if they are going to fix it under warranty, or since it is such an old firearm if they can even do the work. LIke I told them, if it costs more than about 100 bucks that I will just buy a new gun, and fix the old one myself. I absolutely love the 4046 and want another.

Thanks!

INGunGuy
Old January 12, 2009, 12:56 AM   #6
INGunGuy

Way to go Smith and Wesson

Well, I took the firearm to my dealer on December 15th. They shipped to Smith and Wesson for me. Smith and Wesson was closed down for the last 2 weeks of the year and wouldnt be back to work until January 5. I called Smith and Wesson on January 6th to make sure they got the gun. It was logged into their system on Monday the 5th. The lady on the phone told me they were very busy and had just gotten back to work on Monday. I said that was fine, and that I was going to call them back in 2 weeks to get a status. She told me to call back in 3 weeks as they were really busy. I was fine with that and got off the phone. I was sitting at work on Friday, my phone rang, it was my dealer, they told me my pistol was ready to be picked up.

WOW... Way to go Smith and Wesson. No cost at all, nothing, I am a VERY happy customer and I will definately buy another S/W

INGunGuy
Old January 13, 2009, 11:48 PM   #7
sadsack

In: I had a feeling that's the way it would turn out for you.

Tags
4046 , broken , drawbar , hot load , smith & wesson