The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 4, 2007, 11:31 AM   #26
castnblast

Bambi is small in our neck of the woods. Not too much meat on the shoulder. If i don't feel confident w/ the neck shot, I go for smack in the shoulder. I don't shoot behind the shoulder, cuz I hate it when bullets fragment on bone fragments and cuts the gut...:barf: So Neck or smack in the shoulder, and the trail is short. Done it w/ 300win mag, 7mm rem mag, 270, 25-06, 243, 22-250, 357 magnum, and bow and arrow. All wound up in the freezer just the same, including the 22-250, shot in the shoulder, and dropped dead in it's tracks. the longest trail w/ a rifle, about 50 yds. Longest trail w/ bow, about 75...BTW, I stick my arrows right in the middle of the shoulder as well....on deer and hogs. Shot 2 javelina w/ one shot through the shoulders @35yds. My wife watched me do it.
Old December 4, 2007, 12:40 PM   #27
Tom Matiska

Just ruined a few more pounds than I would have liked this weekend. Slow mover, in the brush, missed a clean lung shot by few inches and did a number on the far side shoulder. Not a bad "miss", and my 307 isn't exactly gross overkill, but pushing blunt 30-30 bullets the extra few hundred fps does have issues on close range shots.

Here in PA we get a ration of one buck per year, and apply for limited doe tags. Combined buck/doe harvest is about one third of the 900,000+ hunters. Some in this thread live in a state with a 4 deer limit, and enjoy higher success rates. Erring on the side of overkill isn't necessarliy erring. But here, ruining a quarter or more of edible meat (before sharing with 2 hunting buddies) isn't my first choice... waste not want not.....
Old December 4, 2007, 12:46 PM   #28
ZeroJunk

Quote:
live in a state with a 4 deer limit
Don't want to put salt in the wound, but in NC this year if you use your six tags you can apply and they will send you two more doe tags.
Old December 5, 2007, 04:19 PM   #29
jimbob86

# of deer tags

In SE Nebraska( Blue Management unit) they give a bonus Antlerless deer on every tag. It is possible to get like 8 deer (2 buck Limit) during firearm season as long as permits don't run out for the area......... there is talk of next year requiring hunter to take a doe before they can take a buck in some of the special management areas............ to many deer, tomany car/deer interfaces, to much crop damage, and not enough meat hunters.
Old December 5, 2007, 04:40 PM   #30
davlandrum

Castnblast - How much weight are you pulling on your bow? I have never heard of anyone actually arrowing the shoulder blade on purpose.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old December 5, 2007, 04:41 PM   #31
Hawg

What's a deer tag? We can take three of each legally but we don't have tags. So if nobody sees you with one................................
Old December 8, 2007, 12:58 PM   #32
castnblast

70lbs. These are South Texas deer, about 150 live weight tops. The mid shoulder blade really isn't that tough to shoot through. I use Chizle point broadheads. Done it with both fixed and mechanicals. Some of the deer shot w/ mechanicals have broken a blade, but at least the other two stay intact. Next year I'll go back to the muzzy's. My kids will be older, and I won't have to worry about them sticking their fingers in my quiver, which is the only reason I went to mechanicals the last couple years.

The two javelinas I shot last year off my back porch were shot at 37 yds. the arrow went completely though all 4 shoulder blades and exited. I use heavy arrows thought. 10.1gr. per inch. Not the ultra light arrows. Makes a huge difference, and I shoot 100 or 125 gr. broadheads.
Old December 8, 2007, 02:42 PM   #33
Yellowfin

I've never had a single instance of meat ruining with my .30-06 nor has anyone I've hunted with.