The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 10, 2006, 05:50 AM   #1
youp

Black bear hunting

Anyone doing any bear hunting this year? My sixteen year old has a kill tag and we plan to be hunting next Friday, September 15. I hope to post some pictures of a dead bear. We are sure to have a successful hunt without killing a bear. The bear will certainly be icing on the cake.
Old September 10, 2006, 06:35 AM   #2
swampdog

Bear season around here doesn't last very long but you get a tag with every big game license. I'll probably go with my neighbor a few times, he's got a nice pack of dogs. I got a pretty nice one a few years ago, but I haven't shot one since. They tree up, lots of the time, and I refuse to shoot one out of a tree. Its different when they bay up next to a blow down, though, that's pretty exciting.

Some of the WMA land around here is bear sanctuary. For just seeing numbers, this is the place to be. Maybe they can read maps or something. Calenders, too.

We can't bait around here. If we could, they wouldn't stand a chance.
Have you baited any sites, yet? How do you plan to hunt? Spot and stalk? Treestand? Does anyone run dogs, up there?
Old September 10, 2006, 04:16 PM   #3
youp

I used to have a pack of hounds, some years they were a good pack and some years not so good. It is a very difficult to keep a good pack of hounds year after year. You are right about the taking of a bayed up bear being exciting. The thicker the cover, the more exciting the time.

We will sit over a bait sight. There are several bears eating there.