The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 13, 2005, 06:57 PM   #26
MeekAndMild

Caleb you wouldn't know if Ruger is making their .44 semiauto again would you?
Old July 13, 2005, 08:19 PM   #27
CarbineCaleb

Deerfield Carbine

MeekAndMild: Yep, they reintroduced it a few years back with some design changes to the action and faster twist rifling to stabilize heavier rounds better. The only negative thing that I have heard is that being as how it is a semiauto, Ruger cautions that it may not work well with very light or heavy rounds, and recommend the 240 or 270gr bullets (which would be fine for deer). In this review here though:
http://www.galleryofguns.com/shootin...cles.asp?ID=38

...they tested it with bullet weights from 180-300gr, and report no issues with action cycling.

There is also a ghost ring iron sight available from XS Sights for the Deerfield that you might like as a good fast pointing sight for a light close in gun like that. The factory peep sight would probably be a little more precise if you are going to take your time on a shot though.

This does have a 4 round capacity, but for hunting, if you can't get it done in 4 rounds, it ain't gonna happen ;-)

Best,
Caleb

P.S. Other review from American Rifleman is here:
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...06284#continue

Last edited by CarbineCaleb; July 13, 2005 at 09:33 PM.
Old July 14, 2005, 11:32 AM   #28
TPAW

I have taken a liking to the Marlin 336C in Rem .35 caliber. None of you guys seem to have mentioned it at all? Any reason why the .35 cal. is not on your list?
Old July 14, 2005, 07:58 PM   #29
MeekAndMild

TPAW, my favorite deer rifle is an old 336 in .35 Remington. I didn't mention it because the .35 gun is harder to find than 30/30 and the ammo is a little bit harder to find and a little bit more expensive. (I've even seen more .44 magnum and .357 Marlins than .35's.) I personally think it is a better deer caliber than any of the other three, but that's just me and this guy is new to deer hunting so he probably wants something that is easier to find and he doesn't have to special order. You can go into just about any sporting goods store and they have 2 or 3 30/30s but no 35s.
Old July 14, 2005, 08:30 PM   #30
impact

ratherbfishin60 any gun that everyone suggested will work fine. the most important thing is to be able shoot the gun in most all situations. Get a gun that strikes your fancy and go out and shoot! Shoot of off a bench. Shoot standing. Shoot laying on your belly. Shoot while on your knees. Shoot at 50 yards and then shoot at 200 yards. Really get to know the gun and what you can do with it. In other words! Be proficient! and you will have a good hunt. Good luck on your first year of hunting.
Old July 19, 2005, 02:37 PM   #31
Sulaco

I vote for a 30-30 levergun with a low power, variable scope. Something like a 1-4 or 2-7 would be ideal. A 30-30 is good out to 200 yards.

A .44 Mag levergun would also work well if it were a 20" barrel and scoped like the 30-30. A 16" carbine with iron sights would be great for everything this side of 70 yards or so (for me anyway).

If you foresee shooting beyond 100 yards even once or twice a year, I would go for something like a lightweight bolt gun chambered for .308 wearing a variable power scope. Lots of people like the 3-9 range but anything up to 6 power or so is adequate in my book.

Just go handle some of these options and see what you like. As much advice as we can give you, it's still up to you in the end.

Good luck!