The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 6, 2013, 09:53 AM   #26
Clark

You know you have too many guns when.....

1) You pick up a gun in your collection, and have no recollection of every seeing it before then.
2) You realize you do not have enough time left in your life to test fire them all.
3) You have more guns than any gun store in your city.
4) Your wife asks about how to sell your guns when you die.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old June 6, 2013, 08:50 PM   #27
Ricklin

Only #4 has any real merit.
Old June 7, 2013, 05:42 PM   #28
L_Killkenny

Quote:
If I do not hunt deer, do I need a slug shotgun. Have a scoped Mossberg with slugged barrel that my Dad used when he was hunting. I only will be hunting goose or turkey etc. Do I need the slugged gun or can I change it to a regular barrel?

Iowa doesn't allow centerfire rifles for deer hunting cept in a very limited doe only season in January. That's the only reason I have 2 shotguns. So no, you don't need a slug gun and you can EASILY get by with one for everything else.
Old June 11, 2013, 10:55 PM   #29
+1k ammo

Yep, my the Mossberg is out the door.

I have an older pump, double barrel coach that was used for Cowboy action and a mid 80's Remington 1100, but still do want a newer auto. The Cowboy can go, but the Pump (Remington s-10?) was my Grandfather's I believe so will stay along with the 1100 that was/is my Moms.
Old June 12, 2013, 09:30 AM   #30
MarkCO

While I am a huge fan of the Versa-Max, the Benelli Vinci is another pretty good "cover all the bases" 12 gauge with very low recoil, which it seems is important to you. I just prefer to buy American guns. I'd be doing some comparison shopping and decide on the one you like the most.

I certainly would not sell an Ithaca 37, but some of the others you have, if you have no reason to enjoy them, shoot them or like them, consider selling them if you really think you have too many. I can pretty much tell you that once you shoot your own Vinci or VM, you will have seen your ideal of a one gun for all filled about as close as you can get. If you sold 3 or 4 of the ones below, you would be well on your way to paying for a VM or Vinci.

Stevens 315 SxS 12 gauge
Remington 1100 12 gauge early model
Remington Sportsman 58 16 gauge
HSB & Co Revonoc 12 gauge
New Stevens 320 12 gauge
Old June 12, 2013, 12:11 PM   #31
vba

Man Clark, you hit the nail on the head

I have been through all four steps...
Old June 16, 2013, 11:47 AM   #32
Buzzard1

I sold the Stevens 315 double barrel and Remington 1100. Slowly they are leaving. Still havent decided what will replace these. Waiting on a sale or something to come up to help me along in the decision making process.