The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 13, 2011, 03:11 PM   #1
Robk

Scratches in polished stainless slide

Hi,

As it says, what would be the best thing to get rid of small scrathes in a SS slide? I have heard of Flitz, just not sure if it is right for the job. Scrathes are from a gunsmith who installed new rear sights on my SS Springfield 1911. Apparent vise marks from when the new dove tail was cut. They are not very deep, just surface and look to be a finger print size mark. I know I could start with some sandpaper, 1200 grit or so, but I am afraid, even with that fine a grit, I will ruin it to the point that I myself could not bring it back. Now it is not a mirror fine shine, but polished. Should I try the sandpaper and than a jewler's rogue? If so what type? And can all this be done by hand?

Thanks for any help.
Old July 13, 2011, 03:51 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

You can use sandpaper. Use only wet/dry automotive paper.
Here is how to tell which grit to use:
Find a piece of scrap steel, the shinier the better. Try different grits on the scrap in one direction only. See which one matches the finish on your gun. My bet is 400 grit.
Then, using a solid backing for your sandpaper, sand in one direction only, until the scratches are gone or masked.
Scotchbrite pads will work also. Use the same test to see which one matches.
Old July 13, 2011, 03:51 PM   #3
Dave P

Vise marks?? Did you go to a gunsmith or a black smith??

I would say fine emory cloth / sandpaper on a sanding block . Maybe start with 400 grit??

Could take a lot of elbow grease.

A simple buffing wheel can bring the shine back, but a brushed look is nice too.
Old July 13, 2011, 06:14 PM   #4
Ledbetter

Flitz will polish to a mirror finish, which may not be what you want. You could try 600 grit wet-dry sandpaper on a piece of glass, not too vigorously. Side to side only; no circles or up and down.

Edited to add: Do what Bill S. suggests to find the right abrasive.

Ledbetter
from thefiringline
TFL #4573
NRA for Life
Winchester Canyon Gun Club for Life
Old July 13, 2011, 07:34 PM   #5
Robk

Ok, in the gunsmiths defense, it may not be vise marks, but it is circle like pattern all suffed up, about the size of a finger print, one side only. Thanks for the advise so far. I believe Flitz may be what I am looking for. I think I may try it first and than go to sandpaper if it does not provide the result I want.

Thanks for the help.
Old August 2, 2011, 05:02 PM   #6
orionengnr

I would let the "gunsmith" fix it, since he is the one who installed the marks.
Then again, if he can do that much damage installing a set of sights, I probably don't want him anywhere near my guns ever again.

But I'd sure let him know what he did, and let him know I wouldn't be back.

I'd probably also post the name of his shop, so others wouldn't get the same treatment.
Old August 2, 2011, 06:34 PM   #7
drail

Yeah, if the "smith" placed that slide into a vise that left marks on it he's a quack. Take it back and complain LOUDLY. Maybe he'll realize he needs to pad those jaws. If I ever did that to a customer's gun I would be willing to fix it or replace it on my dime. 400 to 600 grit wet or dry should be very close to the factory finish but you may have to do the entire length of the surface or it will probably show.