The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 12, 2009, 02:07 PM   #1
Timbow

New to reloading - What will I need?

Hey all, I'm interested in starting reloading due to the constant increase in ammo prices but I really don't know much about it. What equipment will I all need? How much am I looking at spending? Are there any good starter kits available? I will be reloading rifle and handgun. Thanks alot for any and all info.
Old February 12, 2009, 02:23 PM   #2
PCJim

First, read the "sticky" thread found at the top of this forum on Handloading and Reloading. Here is the link: Sticky: For the New Reloader: Equipment Basics -- READ THIS FIRST

Second, purchase a reloading manual (as stated in the above read) and read it cover to cover. After reading both these items, you will be in a position to answer most of the answers you are seeking and will be able to do so within your personal financial constraints.
Old February 12, 2009, 02:33 PM   #3
ZeSpectre

Third, start with one of the "easy" straight walled cartridges like .38 Special

Fourth, ask, ask, ASK questions! Only a fool needs to learn via accident or injury when there is such a wealth of knowledge available here!
Old February 12, 2009, 10:10 PM   #4
crowbeaner

The most important thing you will need as a newbie handloader is a patient, tolerant, and understanding better half or significant other that doesn't mind you getting a lot of things that will make your ammunition better and more accurate. Mine is at least well versed enough now to just ask how much I need to acquire the components I need now that the bug of buying every tool possible to make the most accurate ammo possible has been fed.
Buy quality equipment; it's an investment and it lasts longer than you will assuming careful and proper storage. RCBS and Dillon have lifetime no BS warranties, and both take very good care of their customers. I have equipment from at least a dozen makers, and it all works well; just some works better than others. I look for the best possible equipment at the best possible price to stretch my very thin wallet.