The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 3, 2007, 10:41 PM   #1
mmasteve

WSM

what do u guys think about this round, i LOVE the WINCHESTER modle 70 in the synthetic. but most are WSM what do u guys think about that round is it a 10 year round that will fade out and be hard to get or expensive as hell, what do u guys think
Old December 3, 2007, 10:44 PM   #2
oldbillthundercheif

They are already on the way out and the WSSM never lived. They are goofy chamberings that don't do anything better than half a dozen loadings you can find cheap ammo for.
Old December 3, 2007, 10:52 PM   #3
oldbillthundercheif

That's just how I see it, though. If you like the rifles and don't mind expensive, hard-to-find ammo, they will kill critters just fine.
Old December 4, 2007, 12:15 AM   #4
FirstFreedom

Allow me to help you:

What do you guys think about this round? I LOVE the WINCHESTER model 70 in the synthetic. But most are WSM. What do you guys think about that round? Is it a 10 year round that will fade out and be hard to get or expensive as hell; what do you guys think?

If you read the rules of the forum, they require proper punctuation, spelling, and grammar, to a reasonable extent at least. Now I'm sure you'll post correctly from now on. Thanks!

The WSMs will hang around, but will always be marginal/expensive IMO. Get a standard/tried and true round, and it will serve you well.
Old December 4, 2007, 03:07 AM   #5
kametc

I have a Classic Ultimate Shadow in 270 WSM. It is an outstanding mountain rifle. The only established caliber that is simular is the 270 Weatherby. (oh yeah they are even more expensive)
My daughter has a Classic Stainless also in 270 WSM. She is shooting 130gr Partitiions at about 3200 fps. That makes for a easy shooting but hard hitting deer rifle.
Expensive round? Yeah but who buys them. They are no more expensive to load than a 7mm Mag.
The WSSM's didn't live? No I suppose probably not in the long run. But then niether did that Badger this summer. Documented with a Lieca rangefinder at 600 yds. Kid was shooting a sporter weight .243 WSSM.
I haven't met anybody yet who told me they regretted buying a WSM of any caliber. And I have't seen a whole lot of used ones for sale. But I am somewhat biased.
Ken
Old December 4, 2007, 03:32 PM   #6
Scorch

Quote:
what do u guys think about this round
The WSM family of cartridges includes several cartridges based on the 404 Jeffreys case shortened to 1.61" and necked down. WSM chamberings include 270 WSM, 7mm WSM, 300 WSM, and 325 WSM, so which one of these "rounds" were you asking about?

WSMs will likely be around for a long time. I doubt they are going to take the world by storm, however. Folks like them for hunting, and several long-range shooters are using them in 1,000 yard competition.

Thank you FF for pointing out the spelling and punctuation.