The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 9, 2015, 08:29 PM   #1
ratrodney

semi auto deer barrel

Hey.
my friends lookin for a semi auto 12 guage with a deer barrel for her boyfriend. Inexpensive in the no more than 500 range if possible. Any suggestions? Tnx...Rod
Old December 9, 2015, 08:36 PM   #2
Pahoo

More detail required !!!

Rodney,
You need to be more specific on the make and model of your shotgun. "whatever" it is, you should be able to find one for less than your listed budget. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old December 9, 2015, 08:39 PM   #3
Buzzard Bait

wow

That's one fine girl friend! Better keep her close.
Old December 9, 2015, 08:52 PM   #4
FITASC

Pahoo, it seems he is helping a girl buy an entire gun for her boyfriend

Remington makes one as do several others, but the budget precludes decent quality NEW ones.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 9, 2015, 09:50 PM   #5
ratrodney

Not real picky on make n model. He just wanted a semi auto with a slug or deer barrel. I see a bunch of semi autos but not sure if the barrel is right or not???
Old December 10, 2015, 03:20 AM   #6
mxsailor803

Rodney - This is still very vague. If it was me, look for a used Remington 1100. Some people prefer the 1187's and they are good but you can usually find the 1100 cheaper in my area. They also have a bunch of different style barrels (ie. rifled barrels, screw in chokes, fixed choke barrels, etc.) Since you mentioned deer, you did not mention ammo type. In the of SC I'm from, its more common to find buckshot than slugs. We just don't use them or have a dedicated shotgun season. If the main purpose is deer with slugs, look for a rifled barrel with or without the cantilever mount for mounting a scope. If not using slugs, I would look for one with screw in chokes. I also prefer longer barrels. Most of my 1100's have a 28" or 30" barrel. In the shotgun world, there are many many many variations and options on semi-autos. So shop around and she should be ok.
Old December 10, 2015, 04:35 AM   #7
Nathan

My advice would be to get a used Rem 1100, 11-87 or Mossberg 930 with a cantilever base rifled barrel. I have seen those under $500.
Old December 10, 2015, 08:14 AM   #8
kcub

You can avoid the need to have a rifled barrel by just using Brenneke slugs.

Under 2.5" @ 100 yards with any choke.

Use any existing shotgun and barrel.

Now if he had an eccentric uncle that bequeathed him a warehouse full of garden variety slugs this might not work.
Old December 10, 2015, 08:28 AM   #9
FITASC

^^ Correct, a rifled barrel is made to be used with the sabot type of slugs. Whereas the smoothbore barrel will be best with the Forster or Brenneke types
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 10, 2015, 11:34 AM   #10
Pahoo

Can't blame my Spell-Checker !!!

Quote:
Pahoo, it seems he is helping a girl buy an entire gun for her boyfriend
Wow !!! Did I ever misread his post. My favorite has always been the Rem-1100 and as others have suggested, find a used one. I'd try and go for a combo-set; perhaps Mossberg. .....

Be Safe !!!