The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 15, 2019, 06:54 PM   #1
JerseySlayer

Help with sights?

Ok- so I picked up a M&p 2.0 5" 9mm to use for 3 gun,uspsa, steel challenge and idpa-
I put dawson competition sights and a apex trigger in/on it-- I was looking for faster tracking of the front sight--- so black target rear with f.o. front(skinny)
I am having accuracy problems with it--
It's not the gun--it holds .75" at 15 yards bagged---

I was starting to think maybe i'm just not as good as I thought ---but I took my shield(bone stock- 3 dot) to IDPA today. I shot a back up gun in the ssp division.. A big disadvantage I'm told .. well I shot sharpshooter on the qualifier...
I am very confused as to why I shoot this subcompact better and faster
I do wear glasses and feel like on the shield that the front and rear sights are on the same plane(as if the rear sight had 3 dots to align)
help please

Last edited by JerseySlayer; June 15, 2019 at 07:01 PM.
Old June 23, 2019, 01:15 PM   #2
tipoc

Quote:
Ok- so I picked up a M&p 2.0 5" 9mm to use for 3 gun,uspsa, steel challenge and idpa-
I put dawson competition sights and a apex trigger in/on it-- I was looking for faster tracking of the front sight--- so black target rear with f.o. front(skinny)
OK...

Quote:
I was starting to think maybe i'm just not as good as I thought ---but I took my shield(bone stock- 3 dot) to IDPA today. I shot a back up gun in the ssp division.. A big disadvantage I'm told .. well I shot sharpshooter on the qualifier...
So we have a clue to 2 possible ways to go. The first is that you have more time shooting the Shield so you shoot it better than a new gun. Seems you may need more time shooting the M&P 2.0. That's one possible take away.

The other possibility is that you prefer the stock sights on the Shield over the Dawson sights. Maybe you should have shot extensively with the stock M&P sights before switching to unknown sights on the M&P.

Maybe it's something else. Shoot the 2.0 more before swapping parts out. Isolate the issue first. Most often it's the shooter and not the gun.

tipoc
4. Identify your target and know what is beyond it.
Old June 24, 2019, 12:33 PM   #3
jmhyer

Tell us more about your misses.

Are they mostly misses in the same location? Up, down, left, right? Or are they all over the place? Generally, I agree that it may just take you some time with the new sites or with the new gun. While it's a pain in the rear to change out sites, you may do well to put the stock sites back on and just get more experience with the gun in general.
Old June 27, 2019, 11:03 AM   #4
dyl

Perhaps you don't prefer the blacked out rear Dawson sights. I've also got some Dawson skinny fiber optics on a Glock 35 and the part I appreciate the most is the apparent open space on either side of the front past. But I do feel like I have a better referencing lateral alignment with rear white dots when lighting is a bit dimmer. But I'm no expert.

I agree with taking it slow and shooting more with both before going nuts and buying more stuff. Buying is what I'm usually guilty of, but then I never quite figure out what happened even if I stumble on something that works.

I suspect with blacked out rears you'd have to have more your focus on the front sight and the light bars beside them. This is in contrast to keeping an eye out for the white dot rears in the periphery of the sight picture. Maybe it's a re-training issue.

It could be different sight heights (are your Dawsons taller overall?) mess up your initial presentation requiring you to adjust before you shoot, and adjust on every followup, clashing with your muscle memory.
It could be the new gun and new grip associated with it - again causing your initial presentation to be different.

Good luck.
Old June 27, 2019, 12:46 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Probably because it fits your hand better. However, do some dry fire practice with the M&P. It's got a new trigger. That's like having a totally new pistol. You have to learn how to shoot it.