The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 25, 2017, 04:55 PM   #1
MJFlores

New Clay Target thrower

Hi everyone, looking for opinions on clay target throwers. I have the cheapy Walmart special now, by champion. It works but it's a pain and really doesn't throw them far. It also wears your arm out cocking it each time. I'd be willing to spend a bit for an auto thrower, if I knew of a good one. I see them for around $250...but how good are they? I'd like something quality made that will last quite a while. Any opinions on target throwers?
Old November 25, 2017, 05:11 PM   #2
ms6852

I have a white wing model I bought a few years ago. Do not know what they go for now. But I do know that you have to tighten all screws and bolts tight. If you don't, it will break the clays from jarring, otherwise a great thrower, which you can accessorize with a wobbler.
Check them out. Back then I paid about $289.
Old November 25, 2017, 05:32 PM   #3
FITASC

You might check some local shotgun clubs to see if they have a used commercial unit for sale. Much better built and will really throw the target a good distance and quickly.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 25, 2017, 07:02 PM   #4
turkeestalker

I started with one of the seated Do All Outdoors manual ones that can stand alone or slip into a 2" receiver. Loved it as it threw nested or staged pairs very well, but always pretty much the same so the challenge fades quickly but for $20 in a tattered box off of Craigslist, can't complain.

Moved to one of the Trius Trap Masters which is likewise seated and articulates some as it is on a pivoting tripod of sorts. Threw faster and farther than the Do All, and you could easily mix it up so that they weren't all the same. Again worked very well throwing pairs either nested or staged on the arm. Ordered it from Southern Outdoors I think for $125, not terrible.

Both of those have to be manually cocked and could wear an old fella out.
Take your kids!

Graduated to one of the Champion Wheelybird Autos from Wallyworld. Got it on clearance for $150. Attached a riding mower battery on a bracket between the handle and frame. Works like a champ throwing birds far and fast, and can be articulated a bit by a buddy on the handle, or can be used alone with the foot trigger. Just can't do more than singles with it sadly.
So I picked up another and by the time that I did the price had dropped to $112.50, pretty fair deal.

If you combine what I've spent on what I have, even though they were great deals, I could have likely come close to what FITASC suggested and I'd have probably been happier.
Old November 25, 2017, 09:48 PM   #5
Virginian

I bought a Do-All Aerial Assault model (discontinued now) about 6 years ago. I bought it because it was supposed to throw targets further - therefore faster, with the spring cranked down. It does, it really flings them. A measured 92 yards. Also got a wireless remote so I can move around and get different angles. After about 600 rounds or so it started breaking a few clys, but a few simple adjustments and it's been fine ever since. I think I got the whole works, less battery, for about $350 delivered. I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Old November 26, 2017, 07:55 AM   #6
Kreyzhorse

I had a Do All as well. It worked well and seemed to be well made. If I had to buy another, that is where I would start.