The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 6, 2018, 11:01 PM   #26
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Where I hunt the squirrel population grows unchecked. About the only thing that eats em is Pine Marten.
Not a animal one could make a tasty bowl of soup with. (Red Squirrel) nope~no thanks.
Now a Fox or a Grey a 410 would serve its hunter well.
Old March 10, 2018, 12:54 PM   #27
Erno86

12 gauge - #4 shot - modified or full

--- George Orwell
Old March 10, 2018, 02:38 PM   #28
giaquir

I shoot squirrels every week and others keep coming back.
There's an endless supply.I use a 10/22
Old March 10, 2018, 09:27 PM   #29
In The Ten Ring

If recoil is a problem for you, then go with 20 gauge. Walmart will sell you a perfectly capable Remington 870 pump shotgun in 20 gauge with the changeable-choke muzzle.

I use "full" choke when hunting squirrels as I like the challenge of longer range shots. You can check with Remington if their barrels handle steel shot but I will bet you they do.

I prefer #5 shot but #4 or #6 will do.

*Now for me personally, I prefer 16 gauge as it is about the perfect balance of power and recoil. It's making something of a comeback. My favorite shotgun is a Browning Automatic 5 (pre 1999) and that means I'll probably have to shoot lead since none of my Auto 5's barrels are made for steel shot. I don't eat squirrels, I give those away, often to other hunters I come across who haven't had much luck.
Old March 11, 2018, 12:41 AM   #30
Onward Allusion

Aguila Super Colibri in a 22LR revolver.
Old March 11, 2018, 09:34 AM   #31
lockedcj7

I use a 28" 20ga. with modified or full choke. #6 shot in virtually any shotgun will work fine though.
Old March 11, 2018, 12:16 PM   #32
Ricklin

My home town

Shooting squirrels in Longview......would be akin to shooting bald eagles in Wa. DC.

We have squirrel bridges.....to protect the tree rats when they are crossing the road. There are at least three of them around town.

We have a squirrel festival. Yes, it's about the only thing I don't like about "my" town.

The cat sure likes them tho. I get to live vicariously that way, I love watching him hunt. He's a tom, in every sense of the word. I am not a fan of cats, but this one is pretty cool.

Uhh folks they are rodents....
Old March 13, 2018, 04:24 PM   #33
jrothWA

What is your preference?

Have used the thre gauges 12, 161 & 20 for squirrel.chakes ranges from full to IMPCyl.

Mostly lead shot for me, steel, will require a current made shotgun for handling the shpt, older gund best use the bismuth shot.

Rifle / pistol, SS bolt action, 1906 Win Pump, Ruger 77/22 Marlin 60, , Woodsman 22, old RG34 revolver and T/C Contender with .22LR barrel.

you decide what you want.

Good luck, enjoy.
Old March 15, 2018, 11:52 AM   #34
Wag

Grandpa used to let me use his side by side 20ga to hunt squirrels. I've been told that a 16ga will pattern a lot better, though, but that probably only makes a difference for fowl.

If I could shoot them all on the ground instead of the trees, I'd rather use a .22LR.

--Wag--
Old March 15, 2018, 03:49 PM   #35
gwpercle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricklin View Post
Shooting squirrels in Longview......would be akin to shooting bald eagles in Wa. DC.

We have squirrel bridges.....to protect the tree rats when they are crossing the road. There are at least three of them around town.

We have a squirrel festival. Yes, it's about the only thing I don't like about "my" town.

The cat sure likes them tho. I get to live vicariously that way, I love watching him hunt. He's a tom, in every sense of the word. I am not a fan of cats, but this one is pretty cool.

Uhh folks they are rodents....
Southerner's know what to do with squirrels....you got squirrel jambalaya , squirrel gumbo , fried squirrel , squirrel fricassee , squirrel sauce picante , smothered squirrel , squirrel in red gravy, squirrel pot pie , baked squirrel , Mississippi Crock Pot squirrel , smoked squirrel , grilled squirrel , squirrels in brown gravy , country style squirrel , oven fried squirrel, Belgian squirrel, squirrel sausage , braised squirrel, buttermilk fried squirrel with white gravy , deviled squirrel , squirrel salad , squirrel au Vin , squirrel cacciatore, squirrel Creole ....I could go on but I think if you guys would arm yourselves with some recipes , learn how to fix them you might not have a squirrel problem any longer. We sure don't...we do have a season and a limit on how many you can take. Opening day of squirrel season is a big deal at the hunting camps in Louisiana ...and we take our preparing and eating of the harvest very seriously.

As for shotguns I usually use a 20 gauge because of ammo availabilty but if ammo wasn't a problem the 28 gauge would be my choice. A friend had one and they are nice.
Gary

Last edited by gwpercle; March 15, 2018 at 03:56 PM.
Old March 15, 2018, 10:47 PM   #36
johnwilliamson062

I like squirrel, but I don't eat it often. A whole lot of work for very little meat.
Old March 18, 2018, 09:17 AM   #37
Jack O'Conner

I've been hunting all upland game with my 16 gauge shotgun ever since I was a kid. Stacks of small game have been felled with low base #6 shot. But steel shot is a problem with this gauge as it has declined in popularity for the past 45 years.

In my opinion, 12 gauge is too much for rabbit and squirrel hunting since heavy meat damage is a concern. 20 gauge should be fine for your needs.

Jack
Old April 1, 2018, 04:54 PM   #38
cannon325

why not use a 22 long cb….quiet and kill a squirrel, np. probably goes the distance of a cheap pellet gun.
Old July 4, 2018, 08:25 PM   #39
WV_gunner

Pest control? How many is there? It’s sensless to shoot innocent animals unless you are eating them. That’s my opinion and many hunters would agree.

Any shotgun will do, what’s the max distance? How good are you? Close range only, use whatever choke you want. I tried once with smooth bore slug once shooting #4 buck, at 40-50 yards. Didn’t hit the squirrel. So then I went to the other end of the spectrum and used my Marlin Goosegun. It has a 3 foot barrel and full choke. The squirrel was running but I blew a tree limb out at 40 yards. That gun was nice for early fall hunting. Could easily move spider webs out of the way, the gun is around 5 feet long. But it was way to big to get around the woods with. So I settled on my o/u and borrowed an extra full choke. Got a squirrel running through brush at around 25 yards. That was my first and last squirrel killed. My dad was big in to deer hunting and nothing else so I never went as a kid and as an adult I’m pretty busy. But anyways, I suggest a single shot or double barrel 12 or 20 gauge and with a full choke.
Old July 7, 2018, 09:10 PM   #40
GeauxTide

As you describe your circumstance, a Sheridan Pellet Gun would be dandy. My 20cal Blue Streak has been my urban answer. Put it in the shoulder or head and they fall at the shot.
Old July 8, 2018, 05:21 PM   #41
rc

Lot's of choices

Back in the day before I got good shooting them from afar with rifles I used to use 12 and 20 gauge shotguns with anything I had from 6 to 8 shot with 6 being the better choice. A 12 is overly big and heavy for most long walks. A 20 gauge with full choke will cleanly kill squirrels out to 30 to 40 yards with 1 oz of lead #6 from a good full choke. Now shooting steel only changes the equation. You can probably find #4, 3 inch steel for 20 gauge and it should do the trick. 2 and 3/4 inch #4 steel should work for 12 gauge. With steel use modified and not full choke. Don't pepper your well by shooting so far away your pattern opens up. Really a scoped 17 caliber rifle would be a better choice and you can get lead free ammo. You'll be able to take them from far enough away they won't know what hit them. rc
Old July 9, 2018, 11:00 AM   #42
Pahoo

They find new places ????

Quote:
Where I hunt the squirrel population grows unchecked.
Perhaps not, there is a term called "Carrying Capacity" that basically states that the land can only support so many animals. I have a fairly large back yards and there are time when I notice about six, at one time. I though about thinning them down but instead, watch them from year to year. At any one time, I mostly count three. We have a Peregrine Falcon that occasionally gets one but I suspect that most, just move on as they mature. ……

There have been rare ties when I have had to dispatch yard squirrels do to other reasons. …..

Be Safe !!!