The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 20, 2018, 07:24 PM   #26
stagpanther

Finally got a day where the wind wasn't blowing so bad--only 10 to 15 mph today. Went out and did my first ladder of test cartridges--162 eld x's driven by H4350--one of the better powders. Originally I had only loaded 3 cartridges for each charge weight--but then added a 4th to each group after I got some new winchester cases and determined that I could go longer with the bullet seating--so in each group 3 cartridges were 2.78 and 1 was 2.804. Might have made a difference in the grouping--though I was not shooting especially well today, I wasn't calling the shots but I could tell when I budged and made a bad one. I didn't call--I cursed.

Since I'm still breaking the barrel in, it also is a bit tedious to stop every few shots to break down and clean the bore out. The rifle I believe can shoot way ahead of how I'm shooting--at least today.

4350 I've heard is one of the top go-to powders for the 284 win--it does seem to do well. Here are a couple of the better groups (interesting how they are spaced almost identically).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 162 eldx 284win 46.4 H4350.jpg (83.8 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 162 eldx 284win 48.2 H4350.jpg (68.7 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; March 20, 2018 at 07:31 PM.
Old March 22, 2018, 06:32 PM   #27
stagpanther

Fresh batch of 284 win--starting to adjust case mouth tension to see if that makes any difference. New Winchester brass and hornady 162 eld x driven H4350. Going to have to wait for the latest snowstorm to clear before I can get out again.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180322_191558.jpg (134.8 KB, 77 views)
Old March 23, 2018, 05:35 PM   #28
stagpanther

Went out today to attempt to shoot those handsome cartridges above--had a bit of trouble getting through the snow but managed to set up in a level spot 111 yds out. Discovered that I had forgotten my gloves--yup the man with a million excuses--but tried to shoot anyway. I only made it half way through before I bagged it, I just wasn't able to shoot well enough, even though I got a couple of good groups out of the first charge weights. I can tell how good this gun is by how readily it let's me know how bad I'm shooting!

These are two of the same low-end charges I tried the other day, they both featured a couple of shots that almost went through the same hole. I'm still stopping between groups to clean the bore--almost done with barrel break-in.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 284 win 162 eldx 46.4 H4350.jpg (170.1 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 284 win 162 eldx 46.6 H4350.jpg (169.9 KB, 61 views)
Old March 24, 2018, 06:18 AM   #29
brasscollector

Not much to add but I am wondering what kind of velocity you're getting from those 162s. What length is the barrel?
Old March 24, 2018, 06:38 AM   #30
stagpanther

The lower-end loads above are in the 2500 fps range out of the 22" barrel. I'm going to get through breaking the barrel in before I start running warmer top-end loads. I still haven't found a reference factory load to baseline a pressure gage on--I guess I'll have to make my own and send it off for testing.

post edit: My velocities seem to be consistently under what QL and reload manual say I should be getting by 75 fps +/- --I'm attributing that to the extra friction/start pressure by the crimped bullet--also the winchester brass has some kind of weird fluting/reamer chatter in the inside of the neck which is uneven in tension---I hope after a few firings I'll get more consistency out of the brass.

Last edited by stagpanther; March 25, 2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old March 26, 2018, 05:57 AM   #31
Road_Clam

What configuration is the bolt ? Are you able to run a standard 7.62 AR10 bolt configuration ?
Old March 26, 2018, 06:18 AM   #32
stagpanther

Quote:
What configuration is the bolt ? Are you able to run a standard 7.62 AR10 bolt configuration ?
Yes--standard 308 bolt configuration--though this one is a bit beefier than your standard bolt. The ejector was a tad over-powered for my tastes; most are these days, so I tuned it down a bit. I literally have not had one single failure of any kind (other than me not being able to reach maximum efficiency in shooting the thing). : )