The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 12, 2019, 02:48 AM   #1
Macallanontherocks

Affordable Pistol for CCW and Home Defense

I am looking for a pistol or revolver in the $200 to $400 range for CCW and home defense. I would prefer either a double action revolver or a DA/SA semi auto. Most of my experience is with shooting revolvers, and like the safety given by the heavy first trigger pull for carry. That said, these requirements are not set in stone, would be willing to consider a striker fire.

Some options I was considering are a Beretta 96 that a local pawn shop has had on the shelf since 2016 for $500, will probably go this route if they can be talked down.

A used CZ p-07

Makarov

A Smith and Wesson SD9, while it is striker fired, the price is right.

What are your thoughts on these options, and what else would you recommend I consider? Thanks for your time, it is appreciated.

Last edited by Macallanontherocks; January 12, 2019 at 04:42 AM.
Old January 12, 2019, 04:15 AM   #2
DaleA

I'm afraid it might be tough to get a new revolver for under $400. If you're willing to go used then there's many options, I'd look at S&W and Rugers but I'm an admitted Ruger fan person.

For semi-autos there's a plethora of choices. Again look to S&W and Ruger. In the Ruger line the LC9s, EC9s, Security9 and the Ruger American Pistol. If you want to go really small and really cheap the Ruger LCP .380 continues to go on sale here in Twin Cities, MN for $200 every now and again.
Old January 12, 2019, 04:18 AM   #3
armoredman

Very hard to go wrong with a P-07, but first look that it does NOT say DUTY on the front of the slide - those are the older ones that had some minor issues. The newer ones were reworked with some of the advances in the P-09.
The CZ P-10C can be found around the upper edge of your range sometimes, worth a looksee if you can.
Maks are nice, but the cartridge is marginal for SD, in my useless opinion.
Old January 12, 2019, 05:45 AM   #4
Targa

Here’s a few ideas.
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/..._compact?cpath
https://www.cdnnsports.com/smith-wes...U#.XDnDAYplChA
There many choices available, these are just a couple of ideas.
Old January 12, 2019, 06:17 AM   #5
10-96

https://www.jgsales.com/in-stock_guns-a-60.html

Here's another place to look as well.

I'm going to use the words "clip" and "Long Colt" every chance I get. It grinds my gears to see new members attacked when we all know dang good and well what's being refered to.
Old January 12, 2019, 07:56 AM   #6
xandi

That s&w sd9ve is a good choice imo
I have one if put 1000 rounds though with no problems
Old January 12, 2019, 08:23 AM   #7
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macallanontherocks View Post
I am looking for a pistol or revolver in the $200 to $400 range for CCW and home defense. I would prefer either a double action revolver or a DA/SA semi auto. Most of my experience is with shooting revolvers, and like the safety given by the heavy first trigger pull for carry. That said, these requirements are not set in stone, would be willing to consider a striker fire.

Some options I was considering are a Beretta 96 that a local pawn shop has had on the shelf since 2016 for $500, will probably go this route if they can be talked down.

A used CZ p-07

Makarov

What are your thoughts on these options, and what else would you recommend I consider? Thanks for your time, it is appreciated.
Lots will say, 'stay away', but Taurus has quite a few revolver offerings in that $ range for a new one. My son just got a Model 65 and I had a model 82..both really good and in the $300 range, new.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 12, 2019, 09:02 AM   #8
MarkCO

The CZP07 is an excellent pistol.
Old January 12, 2019, 09:55 AM   #9
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macallanontherocks View Post

A used CZ p-07

Makarov

The Makarov is one of the most under-appreciated pistols ever produced and make excellent inexpensive defensive weapons for carry, CCW, car, home. AK reliability and durability in an accurate pistol form that while compact, fits an adult sized hand. Prices on them have been climbing but you can still occasionally find lightly used Bulgarian military Maks around $300 which will leave you enough for 500+ rounds to get you started. It takes a few hundred rounds for the trigger to smooth out but once it does they are a peach. Don't mess with HP's stick with quality ball.

The 96 would be a good option, but better still would be one of the used/trade-in 92's that are starting to hit the market. Lots of goobers are dumping theirs because the military is switching platforms, huge mistake as the Berettas are outstanding firearms. Their loss is our gain and I've been buying them up at some stupid low prices.

Lightly used SP101s can readily be found in that price range (at least in my areas) and have loads of flexibility, durability, reliability. Get yourself a Lee Classic loader plus a few hand tools (all for under $50) and you can easily and cheaply reload on your kitchen table for more practice per dollar.

You being open to striker fired, so here's something to consider.....

Steyr L9A1
Fantastic firearm!
IMO the best striker SA on the market today (only a few others others come close)

They can be easily found brand new under $500, but if you hunt around and make some calls they can be found under $450. Steyr is offering a rebate thru January so you should be able to get yourself under $400.

You seem like you might not be open to this BUT another fantastic option IMO...
Shield 380 EZ brand new for just over $300
Well outside the box for me as well, but once I tried one I was hooked. Fantastic shooters, just-right in terms of size/shape (not too big or too small), easy to operate, easy to CCW, easy to practice, etc.

Good luck with whatever you choose

Last edited by TBM900; January 12, 2019 at 10:15 AM.
Old January 12, 2019, 10:39 AM   #10
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I'm afraid it might be tough to get a new revolver for under $400.
There are options.
As mentioned, one being the Taurus 85. But on the very bottom of the budget mentioned would be the Armscor 206 from Rock Island Armory. A 6 round, 38 Spcl. snubbie. Or it's longer barreled (4" ) sibling the 200. Not the beautifully finish of a S$W, but well within budget.
On the upper end of the budget would be the EAA Windicator. A 357 Magnum six shooter from Germany. Also available in 2" , or 4" Charter Arms also has numerous offerings that will fit the budget set by the OP, and fulfill the needs described.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 12, 2019, 10:46 AM   #11
Charlie_98

Kahr CW9, 40, or 45. Yes, it's striker fired, but shoots like a revolver... no safety, just a long, linear trigger pull not unlike a DA revolver.

Wherever you go, there you are...
Old January 12, 2019, 11:08 AM   #12
osbornk

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93 View Post
Lots will say, 'stay away', but Taurus has quite a few revolver offerings in that $ range for a new one. My son just got a Model 65 and I had a model 82..both really good and in the $300 range, new.
I have 3 Taurus products that are all reliable but the tiny TCP is not fun to shoot. My $200 PT-111 G2 (now G2C) is reliable and accurate (better to carry than my SD9VE) and my $300 605 revolver (got it because it shoots 357 magnum) are my choices.
Old January 12, 2019, 11:24 AM   #13
Bartholomew Roberts

I see ads from AIM Surplus advertsing what you are looking for in the price range you mention about once a week. Only downside is they are often .40 or .357 SIG.
Old January 12, 2019, 12:00 PM   #14
Wag

The 96 is a beast but if you can get it under $450, go for it. Save the extra cash and make it happen. Note that like a lot of .40's, it's got a pretty snappy recoil. Also, it's got a pretty chubby grip so if it doesn't fit your hand, go with something else or you'll find that it's awkward to shoot and will cause you to develop some undesirable shooting habits.

Keep your eyes open for an older Ruger P-series pistol. They pop up once in a while and are worth looking at.

And you may get lucky and find a good used GP100 or 586/686 for under $400.

As mentioned, above, the Makarov's are good little pistols. I have one and I love it but my hand is too big for it and if I'm not careful, the first shot will slice open the webbing between my thumb and forefinger. Ever. Dang. Time. :-)

I'm not a huge fan of striker fired pistols of any brand, but I do like Smith & Wesson. I don't think you'll go wrong with that gun.

--Wag--
Old January 12, 2019, 12:48 PM   #15
USNRet93

Quote:
would be willing to consider a striker fire.
Go shoot a Glock 19..used ones are easily in the $400 range. Or a Glock 43..also in that $ range.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 12, 2019, 12:58 PM   #16
T. O'Heir

I'd stay away from that pawn shop. There are PD trade in 96's on Gunbroker at $350 and less.
I really think you should narrow down exactly what you want first. Decide if it's going to be a pistol or a revolver then shop the local gun shops for something used that fits your hand.
"...Lots will say, 'stay away'..." Really only for their new stuff. Their customer service reputation is decidedly poor. No factory warrantee with a used revolver.
Old January 12, 2019, 01:38 PM   #17
GoPappy

The CZ P-07 would be an excellent choice.

Also, since you're open to a revolver, the Ruger LCR in 9mm would be a good choice too. It gives you the goodness and simplicity of a revolver in a caliber that's plentiful and cheap to shoot. Follow the link to JG Sales that 10-96 posted above, and they've got a couple of used ones for sale within your budget.

This is just my opinion, but don't get sucked in by the lower price of guns in 40S&W or .357 Sig. The ammo is more expensive, and that extra cost will soon more than offset any savings on the initial purchase of the gun.
Old January 12, 2019, 01:55 PM   #18
dgludwig

A used "Third Generation" Smith & Wesson pistol in good condition (most models are da/sa configured) brings value, durability and, most importantly for a weapon being counted on to save life and limb, reliability to the table. I highly recommend them.
Old January 12, 2019, 02:43 PM   #19
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

Just looking at one good big box store:

https://www.academy.com/categories/c...rs-C207525.jsp

gives you options for decent guns by Ruger and SW in your price range.

Online: https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ance+Firearms/

The pawn shop is not the way to go.
Old January 12, 2019, 04:15 PM   #20
jar

Right at or under $200. Double Action, concealable, smooth trigger pull, 6+1 .380 (the one always on or near me at home also is loaded with frangible ammo and I added night sights). These are all ones that I have and that pretty much have replaced my small revolvers as daily carry are:
Smith & Wesson M&P Bodyguard 380
Beretta Pico
Remington RM380
With a kinda sorta not real but close Rube Goldberg double action (hammer reset by slide recoil), the Ruger LCP.

Of the group the Pico is possibly my favorite of the first three but all three are simply very nice. The Ruger LCP would definitely rise into the group if it was really a double action with second strike capabilities. But it is a nice tiny gun and they are all truly pocket pistols you can have with you at all times and under almost all conditions.
Old January 12, 2019, 04:33 PM   #21
Drm50

I would vouch for the S&W Body Guard and Ruger LCP. Have no experience with the Berreta and want none with the Remington I don't consider it a pistol I would depend on. I am more
revolver guy but to be honest the small autos are more carrier friendly. Many happy Ruger
LCP owners and most of them are not what you would call gun people. 1st time buyers that
are buying for SD.
Old January 12, 2019, 07:57 PM   #22
GarandTd

The Remington rm380 is a dependable pistol. Another that has been good to me is made by a company called Sarsilmaz. I have the Sar K2P 9mm. I have several thousand rounds through it without any problems or appreciable wear. There is an updated version called the CM9 gen2 available at CDNN Sports for less than $300. It is a poly frame DA/SA double stack duty size 9mm. It is a CZ style pistol and accepts CZ mags. It has some nice features for the price, but admittedly, lacks support. Although support is lacking, I have found very little in the way of problems reported with this pistol. Mechanically, the CM9 is identical to my K2P. Sootch has a good video on YouTube regarding this pistol.
Old January 12, 2019, 08:32 PM   #23
OneFreeTexan

I like the Charter Arms Undercover,,,, mine have been 100% reliable.
Old January 12, 2019, 09:19 PM   #24
Nanuk

Look for a police trade in Glock or M&P. I just got one for $299.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old January 13, 2019, 06:31 AM   #25
jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuk View Post
Look for a police trade in Glock or M&P. I just got one for $299.
The OP said he would prefer either DA or DA/SA but a Glock would not be either. When you talk about Smith M&Ps though you really need to be more specific. While most Smith M&Ps are DA revolvers the Smith semi-automatics that are called M&P can be all over the place when it comes to the action. Some are DA, some DA/SA while others seem to be striker fired SA only.