The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 31, 2018, 06:09 AM   #51
Ibmikey

During my lifespan I have owned upwards of a thousand rifles and pistols, currently have about 200, mostly I traded or gave away and very few sold. I have no desire for my current acquisitions to be sold so I have outlined which firearms are to be given to individuals and not to a gun shop or pawn shop for pennies on the dollar.
Old January 4, 2019, 04:52 PM   #52
stinkeypete

I don’t shoot my great grandpa’s cape gun.. 12 2 1/2 x 7.62x51mmR double barrel by Henri Pieper made in 1892 or 93. We know great Grandpa bought the gun at the Chicago Worlds Fair in 1892 because he also brought back some commemorative silver half dollars and those coins always go in the gun cabinet with that gun.

It’s not Damascus twist, it’s old compression steel. It is about a mile long and weighs about three tons. About 15 years ago I took a white tail with that gun, using 30-30 brass and plastic tip Speer handgun low velocity high tech copper bullet and a load that was developed that had less pressure than a hot black powder round.

The deer went down flat, never got one step. That bullet mushroomed textbook fashion, and was trapped inside the hide of the far side of the deer. I reckon that’s about exactly enough penetration. That was for the gun’s 110th birthday.

It was fun developing the load, learning to shoot the offset on that gun (I wasn’t going to drift the sights... not after they had been there over 100 years) and taking that deer so efficiently.

But... project done, point proven, and I never had any desire to develop a black powder shotgun shell. It’s an heirloom now.

I asked my kid if I could trade if for something she might like to shoot... I got yelled at. She wants that old safe queen, I guess!
Old January 4, 2019, 05:09 PM   #53
DaleA

And as time goes on it gets harder and harder to find a place to shoot...especially the rifles. Unless you live way out in the country or in the inner city you can't just walk out your door and shoot.

And as always let's be mindful of the collector's prayer:
"Please don't let my wife sell my guns/cars/motorcycles/coins/cameras for what I told her I paid for them."
Old January 5, 2019, 05:38 PM   #54
peterg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkeypete View Post
I don’t shoot my great grandpa’s cape gun.. 12 2 1/2 x 7.62x51mmR double barrel by Henri Pieper made in 1892 or 93. We know great Grandpa bought the gun at the Chicago Worlds Fair in 1892 because he also brought back some commemorative silver half dollars and those coins always go in the gun cabinet with that gun.

It’s not Damascus twist, it’s old compression steel. It is about a mile long and weighs about three tons. About 15 years ago I took a white tail with that gun, using 30-30 brass and plastic tip Speer handgun low velocity high tech copper bullet and a load that was developed that had less pressure than a hot black powder round.

The deer went down flat, never got one step. That bullet mushroomed textbook fashion, and was trapped inside the hide of the far side of the deer. I reckon that’s about exactly enough penetration. That was for the gun’s 110th birthday.

It was fun developing the load, learning to shoot the offset on that gun (I wasn’t going to drift the sights... not after they had been there over 100 years) and taking that deer so efficiently.

But... project done, point proven, and I never had any desire to develop a black powder shotgun shell. It’s an heirloom now.

I asked my kid if I could trade if for something she might like to shoot... I got yelled at. She wants that old safe queen, I guess!

Cool story, my inherited guns get passed on, I’m just a caretaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 5, 2019, 10:40 PM   #55
Ibmikey

I forgot to include in my previous reply that everything in the safes are there to shoot, some of the rarer ones not so much but everything has been shot and will be again. “Safe Queen” is not a term that is often used around my house, there are firearms that get little use for one reason or another but eventually someone will venture out to fire it.
Old January 5, 2019, 11:22 PM   #56
jmstr

OP-I wouldn't want to sell those pieces of your history. I'd hang on to them. If I had a kid who shot and appreciated them, I might pass them on to someone who would be able to use them the way they are built to be used.

I was given a golden saxophone while in High School because the guy was dying and wanted it to go to someone who would use it well, and would respect it- and never sell it.

Still have it, and it still sounds great.

If you don't want the clutter in the safe/closet, rather than selling it, I'd try to target someone to either give or sell it to- who will respect the heck out of the firearm and the person who gave it to them.

Or, just keep it.

Ibmikey,

I am not at your level, but probably about half way there in what I've got around, and they are all for use.

Yes, there are some that I get out every 5-7 years, but that is a matter of my limited range time, combined with the lack of fun in cleaning all of those different firearms.

My oldest is 1895, then 1910s, then 1930s, and something from every decade after that until now.

Some get used rarely, but they still make me happy, and I like the sense of history.