The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 1, 2018, 07:39 PM   #51
Reloadron

Yes, the guts are different, I certainly agree.

When choosing a gun to buy not everyone out there has deep pockets. The few Taurus guns I had were guns taken in assorted trades when my wife and I owned a gun shop. My own personal experiences with the few Taurus guns which passed through my life were OK, not great but OK when weighing in the cost. Not everyone out there will save their nickles and dimes to buy a S&W or Colt or other higher quality gun. Then too, thinking about it I have seen no shortage of S&W, Colt or Ruger guns which were factory queens for some poor depressed gun owner. This forum alone has some horror stories. I think we all have read horror stories about guns which should have been great but never measured up. Stuff happens I guess.

Rather than use the work cheap the Taurus guns are inexpensive so for someone with shallow pockets the Taurus guns fill the ticket. During the early 90s I mentioned the City of Cleveland had a rule for armed security guards. They were limited to a revolver not to exceed .38 Special and six shots. The Taurus guns were popular as let's face it armed security guards are not really well paid, even today. I can only speak for Cleveland, Ohio.

I once ended up with a Rohm Revolver in .38 Special which at 7 feet was hard pressed to hit a 9" paper plate so I guess there are worse out there but I guess some were decent revolvers.

Ron
Old December 1, 2018, 07:51 PM   #52
kmw1954

Ron I guess there is a difference between an honest review and discussion than just bashing a product. I to am a member at Taurus Armed and yes I do see some very negative comments on a few of the guns.

Yes I own a PT92C and wouldn't trade it for any other pistol.
Old December 1, 2018, 07:51 PM   #53
Chaparral

Back around 1986 I remember trading guns with a guy. In the trade I rec'd a Taurus 92. Looked like the Beretta 92. I remember how accurate that gun was and reliable. Today's Taurus I have no opinion of and have not owned one since then. The main gunstore where I live will have nothing to do with Taurus.I ask him what was his deal with Taurus. He told me that Taurus makes all these big claims about lifetime warranties. He said he has sold numerous Taurus' in the past and when he tried to help the customer with warranty work, Taurus many times did not honor their word. I ask him for examples and he said the main one he has run across is Taurus stating they don't make that particular gun anymore and don't make parts for it or service it. He said basically their lifetime warranty applies to only their firearms that are presently made.
Old December 2, 2018, 12:30 PM   #54
Cheapshooter

Quote:
he said the main one he has run across is Taurus stating they don't make that particular gun anymore and don't make parts for it or service it.
You mean I can't get warrantee service on my Edsel, and Grimlin anymore! Darn, I was just getting ready to take my TRS80 back to Radio Shack for service.
I bet Taurus isn't the only company that can't, not won't provide warrantee service on obsolete, out of production products.
Sounds like an excuse not to sell guns unapproved by the Society of Gun Snobbery!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 2, 2018, 02:02 PM   #55
Bill DeShivs

I just read a liberal "hit piece" about guns that said the Taurus 85 was the 3rd best-selling gun in the US in 2017.
Old December 2, 2018, 10:40 PM   #56
5whiskey

Quote:
I wonder if people from Taurus in management positions read these forums and say to themselves, we really need to step it up when it comes to warranty work? Or don't they care? I have a feeling that as long as the share holders are making money and not complaining, Taurus management doesn't really care. This is not bashing Taurus. You could insert any company name here, and any product. As long as the share holders are happy, nothing gets changed.
I suspect you are on to something. It's Taurus' business model to offer firearms at a very low price point, yet have a warranty that seems to be frequently used. This arrangement works for them apparently. I bet they don't care how many warranty returns they have as long as their low-priced guns sell. For every gun owner like us that put 1k or 2k + rounds downrange a year, there are many more that MIGHT fire a box or two per year. Good chance that problems don't pop up as often for the general public. Many of us here appreciate and prefer fine firearms of good quality. Many many more are probably attracted to a lower price point of Taurus, Hi-point, et al. You cannot fully blame them, and at least Taurus and Hi-Point honor their warranties (eventually).

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old December 3, 2018, 06:36 AM   #57
tallball

Maybe my relatively good luck with Taurus is due to the models that I chose.

I have a PT99 and PT22 that are basically Beretta designs and made at the Beretta factory that Taurus purchased.

I've owned several versions each of their Model 85 and Model 66 revolvers, which they've been making for decades.

The only newer model Taurus handgun I own is the latest version of the PT111. I think it's called "Generation Two". I bought it because my BiL likes his so much. Mine works well, too. Apparently they've worked the kinks out of that design.

I have no inclination to purchase any of their newer designs.
Old December 3, 2018, 08:32 AM   #58
jr24

Cant speak to their autos, though my FIL seems to like his fine, but my .22 Taurus revolver has the distinction of having the single worst double action trigger I've ever tried.

My wife cant even pull it in DA, and shes no weakling. I can barely work it and hit a target.

Single action is quite decent and its accurate enough.

Would I buy another Taurus? No* There are other options at similar prices I'd go with first, such as some of the cheaper Rugers.

* upon further reflection, I might buy a PT92 if the price was good, I do like the frame mounted safety over the 92 FS
Old December 3, 2018, 10:47 AM   #59
osbornk

Quote:
Quote:
I have gone to several Taurus forums and one person in particular has really been down on Taurus. Makes statements like" it is life threatening to carry one for self defense" because they are complete junk etc.
So the question begs what is a person who dislikes Taurus doing in a Taurus forum? Generally when I visit a Colt forum they are not slamming Colt, the same is true for any maker forum. I mean, if I have an intent dislike of Taurus (which I don't) why would I be hanging out in a forum devoted to Taurus? That is unless I am an attention seeker of some weird sort

I have been on many different forums (guns, cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc) for many years and the Taurus basher reminds me of others. The bashers usually don't have or never have owned the product they are bashing. They bash the product in an effort to make their chosen different brand look better. The Ford basher usually owns and loves a Chevrolet, etc.

I think the Hi-Point bashers are even worse than the Taurus bashers. The world is full of gun snobs.
Old December 3, 2018, 10:48 PM   #60
laytonj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter View Post
That data is near impossible to obtain. Gun makers are very tight lipped about their production numbers.
But with world wide sales of Taurus firearms most likely overshadowing a very large US market it is easy, and I might add reasonable to assume Taurus production vastly out numbers any US gun maker. Most likely overshadows all of them combined.
Took all of 5 minutes to find. While it does not list Taurus world wide sales their U.S. sales are not even close to S&W or Ruger.

Jim
https://www.atf.gov/about/docs/undef...08pdf/download
Old December 3, 2018, 11:30 PM   #61
Jbar4Ranch

I was a gun room manager for Sportsman's Warehouse for several years, and I sent back more Taurus revolvers for warranty service than everything else we carried, combined. The Judge was the worst. Now, this is undoubtedly influenced greatly by the aforementioned fact that Taurus sells a LOT of lesser priced guns, so...
On the flip side, I think I sent back exactly two Taurus autos - one for a screw the customer buggered up and couldn't get out, and... I don't remember what the other one was.

I've owned other Taurus revolvers in the past, but currently own just one - a 941 .22 mag. Based on my past experience at Sportsman's Warehouse, I'd be very leery of ever buying another Taurus revolver.

SASS 47015
Old December 4, 2018, 09:24 AM   #62
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'd steer people away from Taurus. Certainly they don't cost as much, but the transfer bars on their revolvers tend to break. Don't need that to happen in a life or death situation.

If it's all you can afford, it's better than a rock or flipping the bird.

BTW, Selco wrote of an attorney (in former Yugoslavia during its uncivil war) who stole an inoperative machine gun and belts of ammo from a museum in Sarajevo. When threatened, he draped the ammo belts around his chest ala Rambo and carrrying the maching gun, came out and confronted the thieves and scared them off. It couldn't fire, but he could bluff. I don't like the idea of bluffing and want my firearm to go bang each time I pull the trigger.
Old December 4, 2018, 09:35 AM   #63
FITASC

Is their move to Bainbridge complete yet?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 4, 2018, 09:36 AM   #64
4V50 Gary
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahermit View Post
I own a Taurus 85 snubbie. Although it looks very much like a S&W, it is completely different inside. No rebound slide for instance.
I wonder why they just did not copy S&W's lockwork...the patent has to have run out on S&W's years ago.
Earlier Taurus lockworks were just like S&W. They "modernized" it by getting rid of the rebound slide and replacing it with a strut and coil spring to provide the hammer return. The rebound slide also served as a safety that prevented the hammer from going all the way down. Taurus got around this and the hammer block by going to a transfer bar. Yeah it works, but to me the S&W has a superior lockwork. I'd spend the extra ducats for an American product made by my countrymen. It's not just patriotism but recognition of a superior product.
Old December 6, 2018, 11:12 AM   #65
Dragon breath

After dealing with Taurus customer service, I will never own another unless it’s free. And free might be overpriced.

‘Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.’

Last edited by Dragon breath; December 7, 2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old December 6, 2018, 11:36 AM   #66
kmw1954

I tend to find there are two types of commenters, Those that praise, this is the greatest product ever and if you don't own one well then you're an idiot. Then there are those that bash and we all know those responses.

Very rarely do I see a review that is unbiased and points out both the advantages and the short comings of a product. Many need to elaborate more than just praise or bash. Explain why you feel the way you do about a product. A blanket, it's great or it sucks has no merit.
Old December 6, 2018, 12:56 PM   #67
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I tend to find there are two types of commenters, Those that praise, this is the greatest product ever and if you don't own one well then you're an idiot. Then there are those that bash and we all know those responses.
Sharing negative experiences is "bashing"?

That sentiment has been repeated multiple times in this thread. The way it comes across is:
"If you don't have anything good to say, then you're just a jerk that needs to shut up."

When you check the reviews of an online product and see:
"Not as advertised. Shipped me a cheaper version and wouldn't allow refund/return."
"Broke after 5 minutes."
"Broke first time I used it."
"Low quality. Bad customer service."
"Missing parts. Doesn't work. Replacement took four months."
"Worked okay for a while. ...Until it caught fire."
...Is that just "bashing" the company?

There's a difference between feedback and "bashing". If you haven't figured that out yet, then your path in life will be wrought with unnecessary difficulty and unfavorable decisions.
Old December 6, 2018, 01:36 PM   #68
magnut

Was looking at the 709.... they discontinued it

then I was looking at the 24/7 G2 compact.... they discontinued it

Taurus drives me a little batty on this. As soon as Taurus puts out a pistol and its well vetted developing a good rep..... they discontinue it. I think taurus likes to screw with people.
Old December 6, 2018, 02:05 PM   #69
kenny53

I have owned 3 Taurus in my life. PT 22, PT 1911, Model 85, 38 special. The 22 I carried when I walked my daughter down the aisle. Her and her husband now own the gun. The 1911 I bought from a buddy when he was having money problems. It was okay and never give me any problems. It just didn't feel right. Traded it straight across for an M&P 45 with a Apex trigger installed. I still have the 38, it sits in the brides night stand. I take it to the range once in awhile and it shoots fine. Taurus is not my first choice but I will take one over a sharp stick.
Old December 6, 2018, 02:33 PM   #70
kmw1954

FannkenMauser, I have no qualms with a negative review as long as it's done objectively. For instance I have a topic going on this forum right now about a Hornady Bullet Feed die that I'm having all sorts of problems with. I have relayed the experience I'm have with this product but at the same time I have never stated I though the part was a pcs. of junk. I even relayed the communication I've had with Hornady about it and they pretty much blew me off. But I'm not about to bad mouth Hornady because of it. Again all I can do is express my experience honestly and objectively and let others decide if they think it's junk. I'm sure there are a good number of people that this die is working perfectly for. It's just not working for me.

So is this "Bashing"? Or an objective review? So yes I agree there is a big difference between Negative Feed back and Bashing.
Old December 6, 2018, 04:05 PM   #71
kdrf636

I've never owned one so I can't bash them.

But there is a reason I never owned one, there are just too many better choices that are much less of a gamble to purchase.

It's like food that is described as "not bad". "It's not bad" is a far cry from "it's delicious" and so I'm going to go with "delicious" even if it costs a little more.
Old December 7, 2018, 01:16 AM   #72
Ibmikey

My experience with Taurus rifles his good and bad, the 92 Trapper .45 Colt after replacing the plastic parts and removing the unnecessary and ugly safety on top of the bolt, then stoning the interior parts found it is a great handy and accurate Carbine.
On the dark side the Taurus Lightning .45 Colt was the worst firearm I have ever owned as to malfunctions and inaccuracy. I rarely got more than three rounds to cycle without a stoppage and they are not the easiest to clear. Sent it to Taurus on my dime came back as bad or worse....I took it apart and was able to get it to fire six or eight in a row then traded it back to the shop where I bought it.
Old December 7, 2018, 12:22 PM   #73
Cheapshooter

Quote:
There's a difference between feedback and "bashing". If you haven't figured that out yet, then your path in life will be wrought with unnecessary difficulty and unfavorable decisions.
However, like Hi-Point, and Rough Rider, it is quite often that what should have been only feedback becomes bashing. At least with Hi-Point since the very demonstrative "torture tests" on youtube the majority of Hi-Point bashing has all but been debunked.
Maybe Taurus deserves the bashing, maybe not. By my own experience with Taurus, combined with that of close friends and family members, they don't deserve the bashing they get.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 7, 2018, 01:10 PM   #74
Glenn E. Meyer

Experentially, my two Taurus guns were stinkers. Esp. the PT-22. A revolver was also troublesome and I ditched both.

However, I had a Kahr PM-9 that was trouble. A 442 SW was a pain. A SW 1911Sc had two visits to the repair bit before it ran decently. A Glock 42 was a horror show and had to go back.

A comparative study of out of the box problems with some decent sampling would be interesting if a shooting protocol was equivalent for the guns.

The folks I know with the Taurus 85s and the once a year 50 round square range test, haven't had trouble. Will the gun run for the 5 is enough scenario? Probably.
Old December 8, 2018, 12:49 AM   #75
wmg1299

My Taurus experience has been mixed. I'm a sucker for markdowns, so I have acquired a few Taurus products. My 709 Slim suffered an extractor failure after about 300 rounds, and Taurus took longer than expected to repair the gun. I fired about 100 more rounds through it to make sure it was fixed, but lost faith in it as a carry gun and haven't shot or carried it since.

My Millennium G2 has functioned flawlessly for almost 1000 rounds, and the Model 94 that I picked up to introduce my sons to revolvers has been an absolute workhorse (it's their favorite plinker). The TCP 738 I purchased for my wife has never had an issue, but has probably fired less than 100 total rounds.

Overall, 3 out of 4 of the Taurus products that I have significant experience with have never had an issue. Whether you see these odds as acceptable is up to you.