The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 7, 2012, 05:11 PM   #1
Kyshiner

Cheap 45 colt cowboy load?

Im looking for a good recipe on a good cheap cowboy load for 45 (long) colt its just plinking ammo that im wanting to load. I see some really light gr. Bullets for sale cheap but i notice most factory loads are 250gr or 255gr is there a reason for this? Also post up some links of the bullets you reccomend thanks in advance
Old May 7, 2012, 05:23 PM   #2
m&p45acp10+1

If you want the ultimate cheap plinking load you should start casting your own. That cuts the cost way down. Then using a powder like Bull's Eye that will give you the most bangs per buck. With some Wolf primers used it would greatly cut your cost. If you cast, and shoot 200 bullets your mold will pay for itself.
Old May 7, 2012, 06:10 PM   #3
zippy13

Following the previous advice, depending on what you pay for lead, you'll be shooting .45 (Long) Colts for about the same price as premium .22LR ammo. With the big .45 Colt cases, you may wish to use some Dacron filler over the Bullseye (or Unique).
Old May 7, 2012, 07:45 PM   #4
Kyshiner

I dont cast my own i often wondered if the labor involved was really worth it im somewhat new to reloading my dad does it mostly so keep that in mind as for now id like to have a good recipe with factory bullets
Old May 7, 2012, 07:55 PM   #5
Shotgun693

You might want to try a 200 gr lead bullet over Trail Boss powder. It's pretty popular with many SASS shooters. You won't need a filler with TB.
Old May 7, 2012, 08:07 PM   #6
Ralph Allen

If you can order either Missouri bullet or Dardas cast bullets, load up with Trail Boss powder, you can have some typical cowboy velocity loads,with 250 grain lead bullets, very easy to load, and at todays prices, they can be rolled for about $8.00 a box of 50 if you already have the brass.
www.missouribullet.com
www.dardascastbullets.com
Ralph
Old May 7, 2012, 08:10 PM   #7
slugoo

I shoot a lot of 200gr RNFP 45lc and I really like amer-select for that. I use 5.5 gr of amer-select for the 200 gr Missouri bullet I get from powdervalleyinc.com and they cost $38.26 for 500. I usually order 2000 at a time and the shipping is 15.00 by the post office. For cowboy shooting you want the 12 BHN hardness as these are not moving fast. I've also had real good luck with Green Dot (8.3gr) 4756 (9.40gr) and Trail Boss filling it 3/4 inch from the top of the brass. Since your looking for the least cost than Amer-slect is the way to go as it shoots the best in my Rugers and used the least powder. Charllie
Old May 8, 2012, 01:52 PM   #8
crowbeaner

The reason 45 Colt ammo has a 250 grain bullet is that it is one of the calibers that made the transition from black powder to smokeless. The 250 grain bullet was used to make sure the the black powder was compressed in the case. Lighter bullets with smokeless powder may not cause complete obturation of the cartridge case resulting in gas blowback into your face. The 250 to 260 grain bullet is still loaded. Many shooters have found out about the underpowered "cowboy"ammo and have gone back to heavier bullets.
Standard load for the Lyman 454190 bullet is 8.5 grains of Unique.
I load the Lee 452-255-RF bullet over the same charge of Unique or 10.5 grains of AA #5 for my shooting. Either load will be safe in older 45s made since the first World War.
Old May 9, 2012, 10:14 AM   #9
Throckmorton

200 grain vs 255 grain bullets,cast

I shoot 200 grain bullets for less recoil on the clock,but nearly all guns benefit from the larger 250/255 grain cast bullets in accuracy and way less blowback on the brass cases.the difference is very small ,cost-wise,as bigger bullets almost always take less powder.
google 2nd chance bullets,they are about as cheap as u can find anywhere,and they shoot fine in my guns.Very small operation,so shipping might take a couple of weeks,but at abouit 80.00/thousand,it's pretty cheap shoooting. I shoot with these folks,and they will do right by you.

I"ve shot thousands of rounds I loaded,in 45colt,and the faster burning powders do take less powder,but ignite spotty compared to a more case-filling powder like Unique. I"ve settled on 5.5 grains of Clays under my 200 grainers.

the big savings.if there is any,will be the bullet cost.imo
Old May 9, 2012, 10:32 AM   #10
bmjp

I am loading .45colt for about $6.30 for 50 rounds using 200g lrnfp and 6.0g Trai Boss. Got all my cases free so I am just paying for primer, powder and bullets. Primers @ 36.00, powder @ 13.00 and around 80.00 for 1000 bullets. I buy everything locally so they are cheap to load.
Old May 10, 2012, 11:18 AM   #11
FlyFish

Quote:
I am loading .45colt for about $6.30 for 50 rounds using 200g lrnfp and 6.0g Trai Boss. Got all my cases free so I am just paying for primer, powder and bullets. Primers @ 36.00, powder @ 13.00 and around 80.00 for 1000 bullets. I buy everything locally so they are cheap to load.
That's pretty much what I do as well for Cowboy loads, with only 5.0 gr of Trail Boss - works fine with a bit less recoil. I know some guys who take it all the way down to 4.5 gr. The loads clearly don't generate enough pressure for the brass to fully seal the chamber, but that presents no problems that I'm aware of.